Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Pashnit Roads, Rides & Bikes > United States - Road Trips & Pics, pics, pics

Notices

Motoroads

Old 09-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
Garage Monster
Old enough to know better

Name: Robert

Motorcycle:
  2005 Hayabusa

SS1000 on my new sport tourer

Here was the dilemma. I loved the past 6 years and the 40,000 miles I put on my 93 Yamaha GTS1000. On a Pashnit tour several years ago Tim was taken enough to publish this thread on his forum, http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374 . Just this June I took a 3000 mile 9 day ramble from Oregon across Nevada and made a great circle tour of Utah and home again. The bike ran great was it was about to become 17 years old and I wanted something both newer and different. I sold My GL1800 this spring and I have to keep my Ducati but I wanted a new sport tourer.

The Yamaha went to a new home in Utah and I began to look. As I did my son suggested I look at the Hayabusa. We all know Tim rides one, but I am older (don’t fold as well), bigger (taller and fatter), travel with tent and sleeping bag, and did not want a drag bike. As the internet search for information unfolded I discovered there are a lot of people who tour don’t mean “I take the Greyhound” when they say they tour on the “BUS”.

The choice was made and a low mileage 2005 model ended up in my garage. A few mods and local rides and then an overnight camping trip with tank bag, soft luggage andon my new Hayabusa seemed to say I made a good choice.
Now for the real test. I have always wanted to do a Saddle sore 1000 ride sanctioned by the IBA (Iron Butt Association). Two years ago I did the 4 corners of the USA tour on my Goldwing but the Wing did not rock my world so I sold it.

With the weather about to change here in Oregon I decide last Saturday was put up or shut up time. With all the needed forms and logs and my route mapped out and loaded in the GPS I left the local Texaco station near Eagle Point, OR at 4:22AM with my electric jacket liner plugged in and my Bagster tank bag loaded. The ride is a rather simple affair. Keep riding and on course, get receipts with dates and times, and fill out the mileage log.

From Eagle Point I rode East and South to Alturas, CA, turned North for Lakeview Oregon and then west through Denio junction, NV and North to Fields, OR. Feeling good and with all the cold weather gear stowed away I sat at a picnic table outside Fields Station and ate a burger. A passing motorist came to admire the bike and inquire as to destination and then casually pointed out the nail in the rear tire. The nail was actually a huge staple with one leg at a shallow angle in the tire groove. Deciding caution was best I cut of the outer leg of the staple and left it in place. There was no air at the station and I wasn’t sure the CO2 cartridges in my tire plug kit would fill that big a tire. It proved to be the right decision and no air was lost.

North to Burns and then east again to Vale, OR just short of the Idaho border. A quick fill up and highway 26 headed west to John Day and then Redmond. Night was falling as I filled up in Redmond and temps were cooling rapidly. I put the liner back in the jacket and headed out on the last leg home.

The verdict????
The Hayabusa rocks. I pulled into the gas station I started at and got my gas receipt showing 17 hours and 4 minutes total travel time. Despite speeds well above the limit at times I averaged 39 mpg and covered 1022.1 GPS logged miles.
I have a Bagster tank bra and bag which I love and a used Corbin saddle which I installed the night before I left. HID lights kept the deer at bay during the dark hours while the Brock Hindle full exhaust sang to me and my Magellan Roadmate is the best $50 I ever spent. I used the same older model on the Yamaha for several years. Sadly I had just installed a Rostra all electronic cruise control which is not yet functioning but I will figure that out.

I look forward to many happy miles and if you really want to ride your bike, try a Saddle Sore 1000.
Garage Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Knife

Name: John

Motorcycle:
  '98 Honda VFR

Re: SS1000 on my new sport tourer

I know a couple of guys who have their 'busas set up for touring. They swear by them. I never thought of one as a tourer, but I'm now a believer, and I'm tempted. Nice accomplishment, by the way, on your 1,000 miler! Congratulations!
Knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
ninja_o
I am done learning ...

Name: S...

Motorcycle:
  Concours 14

very impressive
and Congrats on the 1000 miles!!!
ninja_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
Catenaccio
seasoned but not salted

Name: Randal

Motorcycle:
  CBRXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_o View Post
very impressive
and Congrats on the 1000 miles!!!

+1
Catenaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
Garage Monster
Old enough to know better

Name: Robert

Motorcycle:
  2005 Hayabusa

Thanks gentleman. The Hayabusa has really surprised me. Here is a pic from 2 weeks ago prior to the Corbin seat being added.

Name:  100_3173_800x600.JPG
Views: 448
Size:  105.1 KB
Garage Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
pashnit
Yes, I'm the guy

Name: Tim

Motorcycle:
  Hayabusa

That rocks Bob, congrats to you on your purchase and especially finding something that works for you. It really is a bike that does all things well.

Still have not done 1000 mile day on this thing, but quite a few 600 miles days in the last 6 years I've had this bike.

Name:  Img_2690-Ceilo.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  109.9 KB
pashnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
kanjiwa
Iconoclast

Name: Kanjiwa

Motorcycle:
  SV650 sold

Nice! I luv the Hayabusa, but I doubt I'll ever be able to handle one.
kanjiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:49 PM   #8
slobert1970
Spawn of Garagemonster

Name: Rob

Motorcycle:
  Suzuki V-strom 1000 '04

I am Garagemonsters son and am so stoked my Dad got the 'busa. I told him to look at them because I know his idea of sport touring is heavy on the sport. He tried the Goldwing and was left wanting. I know he loves the hell out of his Ducati and that even a Concours or other such bike would not stir him enough. So any ways, when He bit the bullet and got one I was alittle worried that he wouldnt like it, after all I suggested it and he is not above blaming his dear son if he hated the bike. Not a worry though as he is totally in love. And after riding it I see why! It is smooth and docile and easy to ride until you prod it and then it unleashes unholy hell on any thing in its path. it IS addicting. I am 6'2 and large in stature. I ride a V-strom cuz I like the roomy layout and though I found the 'busa comfy enough for the time my dad let me ride it, I dont think I could ride it all day. I just don't think my knees could take it. I just might have to go down to my dads and steal it for a day and find out!! Here is another picture of his sweet ride from the Oregon trip.
Attached Images

slobert1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:12 AM   #9
ninja_o
I am done learning ...

Name: S...

Motorcycle:
  Concours 14

you know Busa is just a gorgeous looking bike !!!!
There is nothing else in the market that looks like it .. what a beauty
ninja_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:08 AM   #10
Zippo95

Name: Melvin

Motorcycle:
  lookin for another

Send a message via Yahoo to Zippo95

What an awesome choice!! But like Tim, I am biased!! I bought my Busa about a year ago and havent looked back since. My wife has tried getting me to trade it for a 1700 Vulcan, but no way. I have a big trip planned for next June. So far about 6000 miles by the maps but is subject to change. My starting point is in southwestern Indiana.

Miles to go and promises to keep
Before I lay my head
Down to sleep.....

Living in fear is good....sometimes!!
Zippo95 is offline   Reply With Quote