Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Pashnit Roads, Rides & Bikes > United States - Road Trips & Pics, pics, pics

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
orbiker
Live to Ride

Name: Ken

Motorcycle:
  2013 Victory XCT

Scenic Alaska on a Harley

We can't wait any longer.

We are packed, but vacation time doesn't start for another week. My wife has been packed for over a month. We try to keep busy, to help time go by faster. We pack and unpack, to make sure we are taking everything we need, but not too much.

Last years ride to the Grand Canyon, we had a pretty good pile attached to the sissy bar. This year a bought a different tent. It's a little bigger, but is a smaller bundle and 4 lb. lighter. I am going to strap the tent over the top of the headlight at the bottom of the windshield.

The Road King is ready. I put new tires and fresh oil in last weekend. Checked this and tweaked that. Adjust this and even put a new belt and battery in her. All the checkups and adjustment have been done. I always try to do all the wrenching on the bike way before it is time to take off. Ride some local rides to continually check for problems that might have occurred during the wrenching. I've got the correct air pressure ( nitrogen ) in the tires.

I have been reading many other ride reports on Pashnit, ADVrider and HD Forum. There are a lot of people headed to Alaska this year. Some are already in route and others are going later.

I will be posting lots pictures when we have WIFI. I am getting good at taking pics with one hand while moving. We will be camping most of the time if weather will permit. Most of the private campgrounds have showers and WIFI. That works for me.

I have found out; it is easier to sleep the night before you start a ride, if you have to go to work first. So; we will work till noon on Friday and then try to get close to the Oregon boarder before dark.

Blast off day is June 17th after work.

That's all for now, KEN
orbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
orbiker
Live to Ride

Motorcycle:
  2013 Victory XCT

Re: Scenic Alaska on a Harley

Hi Johnny,
I was going to get some, but my little brother (who lives and fishes in AK) said it's not necessary.

You and everyone that goes on the Iderhoe ride; have a fun and safe time. Northern Idaho is beautiful. If we wern't going to Ak I'd do your Iderhoe ride.

Idaho in 2008
Old 06-10-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
demenshea
10% Angel 90% Hooligan

Name: Donna

Motorcycle:
  07 BMW R1200R

Send a message via AIM to demenshea

Have a wonderful ride Ken and i know what you mean about haveing to wait it out when you are excited about take off! I am counting the days before Notarian and I head to Canada for our three week journey on July 11. Gosh darn it, that's weeks away!!!

Anyway, I do feel your pain, but it sounds like you are ready to blast off. I wish both you and your wife a very safe journey and I look forward to seeing your photos upon your return.

Ride Like a Girl
Travel Blog for Riders
demenshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
orbiker
Live to Ride

Motorcycle:
  2013 Victory XCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by demenshea View Post
Have a wonderful ride Ken and i know what you mean about haveing to wait it out when you are excited about take off! I am counting the days before Notarian and I head to Canada for our three week journey on July 11. Gosh darn it, that's weeks away!!!

Anyway, I do feel your pain, but it sounds like you are ready to blast off. I wish both you and your wife a very safe journey and I look forward to seeing your photos upon your return.
Thanks Donna for the safe wishes. I was just reading a RR on ADVrider and a married couple were on their 4 or 5th day of their 45 day ride to all roads of Alaska. A deer jumped out in front of her. Luckily, it was at only 35mph, but she is hurt bad enough to need to go home. That SUCKS. No one needs that kind of luck on their ride.

I will be posting as we go when possible.

I just got a new update today.
All my brothers and sisters (4 boys and 2 girls with me being the oldest) will be in Fairbanks at one time. The last time we were all together was when my dad passed away 21 years ago. That going to be COOL. And I get to pick on my sister some more. Ha Ha
Old 06-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
PongoUSA
Der Weg ist das Ziel

Name: Ralph

Motorcycle:
  '04 BMW R 1150 RT

I'm envious, would love to do such a trip. Well, not that soon, maybe after retirement

Wishing you a great time and a fun and safe trip

I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

IBA# 48396
PongoUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
orbiker
Live to Ride

Motorcycle:
  2013 Victory XCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PongoUSA View Post
I'm envious, would love to do such a trip. Well, not that soon, maybe after retirement

Wishing you a great time and a fun and safe trip
Thanks for the well wishes Pongo.
Don't wait for retirement. You might not be able to afford the trip or healthy enough to do the big trip. Your only young once. LIVE life like there is no tomorrow. I'm 56 and I don't see myself retiring for another 10 years. I'm just going to use my vacation time wisely.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:45 AM   #7
orbiker
Live to Ride

Motorcycle:
  2013 Victory XCT

53 hours to go before we leave. Noon on Friday or so.
The weather report is looking great for Oregon (mid 70's and partly sunny). Washington too.
In Canada; there is a little moist weather going through and I think we will be going up behind that, so that's looking good.
BUT: this is Alaska's forecast. Mostly cloudy with scattered showers Highs near 65 (for days and days) We'll see what happens. We are prepared for anything and hoping for the best.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:57 AM   #8
demenshea
10% Angel 90% Hooligan

Name: Donna

Motorcycle:
  07 BMW R1200R

Send a message via AIM to demenshea

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
BUT: this is Alaska's forecast. Mostly cloudy with scattered showers Highs near 65 (for days and days) We'll see what happens. We are prepared for anything and hoping for the best.
You'll be surprised what is considered warm in Alaska. When it's 65, everyone will be in t-shirts and shorts! I swear. I was always cold there, but everyone seemed comfortable. I guess it's all relative.

Have a wonderful trip. I believe it's going to be memorable.

Ride Like a Girl
Travel Blog for Riders
demenshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
orbiker
Live to Ride

Motorcycle:
  2013 Victory XCT

Well; it's finally getting down to just a few hours (18 hours) before we leave. The bike is loaded and even went on a little shake-down spin. Nothing fell off so I guess we're ready. I mowed the lawn. My wife is doing the last bit of laundry. I got all the bills paid. I don't know what I'm forgetting to do, but whatever it is it isn't going to get done.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
bmwlloyd

Name: Lloyd

Motorcycle:
  K1200LT

Well. As was once said in a famous song. "jump up on your pony and ride..ride..ride"

Be safe, have fun...

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Lloyd
IBA #39488
bmwlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote