Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > General Forums > Becoming A Better Rider- A place for the New Rider

Notices

Motoroads

Old 04-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #41
DYNA118

Name: Jim

Motorcycle:
  Roadliner

Re: Home town Hazards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbuster View Post
Bakersfield CA.

Potholes are a big problem here.

Patchy morning fog during winter months.

Lots of red light runners.

A few railroad track crossings that are very rough.

There are a few on ramps to the freeway which are short and are typically crowded and it seems a lot of people just don't know how to enter a freeway! Need to be on high alert!

One of my favorite roads is hwy 178 through the Kern Canyon just west of here. During the wet season it's typical to find rocks that have come loose and fallen on the road. Recently, the local paper had a photo of a car sized bolder blocking one lane. No hands or feet sticking out from underneath it.
Hwy 178 would be a really great senic ride if you could slow the damn cages down so you could enjoy the canyon.
DYNA118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #42
Mystic Red

Name: Scott

Motorcycle:
  K1100LT

Had to come almost to a complete stop for a moose going to work one morning.
Hit a deer in Rathdrum city limits @ 35mph on one commute to work.
Have seen elk cross in front of me also.

Had a guy race me on a 4 lane that narrows to a 2 lane one afternoon. Really wanted to be in front of me so I let him. Then he slowed down to 10mph under the speed limit so I passed him in a legal passing area. He then immediately passed me back doing about 70 in a 45 while cresting a hill in a double yellow with his horrified wife yelling at him. Then he slowed down to below the speed limit AGAIN.
Why do they do that?
So I'll add road ragers to my list.
Mystic Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #43
URSUS PURPUREOUS
aka Cardinal

Name: Bob

Motorcycle:
  1995 GL1500

Just scanned through this and gotta say, with the exception of snow, horse drawn vehichles and wild life, here in Fresno area, we have ALL THE ABOVE!

Substitute tractors pulling out of Orchards to make a U turn accross the road for horse drawn vehicles and abandoned pets on the freeway for wildlife, and we got just about every thing on the list.
But I still love livin and ridin here!!
URSUS PURPUREOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #44
poach
PartTimeLandBargeOperator

Name: Chris

Motorcycle:
  yes please

Though I don't live in a true wine producing area, I ride through em all the time. Examples include paso Robles hills, Sonoma, napa, Alexander valley, knights valley, russian river area, and Anderson valley.

Inebriated wine lemmings are unpredictable and extremely dangerous in these areas...
poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #45
Turkus
Booie Tuchus

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle:
  1993 BMW K75S

Send a message via Skype™ to Turkus
Home town Hazards

Quote:
Originally Posted by poach View Post
Inebriated wine lemmings are unpredictable and extremely dangerous in these areas...
One more reason to avoid the Vino Country during Tourista Season....

Adventure is just poor planning - Roald Amundsen

GMR1 2009

Ride Safe and with a purpose
www.streetmasters.info

Follow Streetmasters on Facebook
Turkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #46
Law Dawg (ret)
Unashamed Christian Rider

Name: Mark

Motorcycle:
  Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNA118 View Post
Hwy 178 would be a really great senic ride if you could slow the damn cages down so you could enjoy the canyon.
Really, seriously!? I have been up and down that canyon so many times that the scenery does not take all that long to take in now but cages going too fast?

I've always worried about rock slides in the Kern Canyon and cages that like to cut into the oncoming lane on blind corners. There are some rocks balanced on high that could be real ugly on top of or waiting for you on a curve...ruin your whole day that would.

Lion's Trail (Bodfish Caliente), Hwy 155, or Western Divide Hwy (Hwy 190) for scenery and fun.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #47
half-breed

Name: Thom

Motorcycle:
  xv250 Virago

All of the above hazards, but here in downtown Sacramento the light-rail tracks that run parallel to the street bring on the spincter pucker even though they are designed well. Also this city of trees in the fall has slippery leaves galore.
half-breed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #48
poach
PartTimeLandBargeOperator

Name: Chris

Motorcycle:
  yes please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkus View Post
One more reason to avoid the Vino Country during Tourista Season....

Agreed! Definitely want to avoid inebriated lead singers for Romanian death metal bands!

Or maybe he just wants to clue us in on the super cool Hostel he knows of in czechoslovakia?
poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #49
packnrat

Name: larry

Motorcycle:
  2004 FZ1.

Drinking Re: Home town Hazards

in my area the turkeys were a bit in over production this winter. large amounts of them trying to get across the rd. almost hit four (4) just today. and this was at different places at different times not just one bunch. and one time on the bike as i rounded a curve..damned thing ran out into the rd right behind a ups truck, a good 20 pound tom, took flight too keep from being mashed bird.

packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #50
courageousdeer

Name: Michael

Motorcycle:
  Kawasaki Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Red View Post
Had to come almost to a complete stop for a moose going to work one morning.
Hit a deer in Rathdrum city limits @ 35mph on one commute to work.
Have seen elk cross in front of me also.

Had a guy race me on a 4 lane that narrows to a 2 lane one afternoon. Really wanted to be in front of me so I let him. Then he slowed down to 10mph under the speed limit so I passed him in a legal passing area. He then immediately passed me back doing about 70 in a 45 while cresting a hill in a double yellow with his horrified wife yelling at him. Then he slowed down to below the speed limit AGAIN.
Why do they do that?
So I'll add road ragers to my list.
When I pass someone like this, it usually only takes a couple of corners to make them get really small in the mirrors. Also, I try to hold close to the higher passing speed for a good 30 seconds or more after passing - sooner or later, they figure out that they are going faster than they are comfortable and let you go. If I had someone really aggressive like you described, I'd probably pull over in a wide spot and let him get a long ways ahead (1-2 minutes worth) before setting out again. I also use this technique when I get stuck behind 1 or more slow-moving cages in the fun twisties. Pull over for a few minutes, let some space clear, and enjoy the twisties in blissful solitude (at least until I catch up to them again).
courageousdeer is offline   Reply With Quote