Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Pashnit Roads, Rides & Bikes > Nevada - Road Trips & Pics, pics, pics

Notices

Old 03-27-2007, 08:07 PM   #91
motowriter
Crazy Rider - 1000/24/24

Name: <g>

Motorcycle:
  '05 FrankenZ1, '78 KZ650 SR

Re: Preliminary Crash Info - Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmailman
Get well, Gary. Maybe you can ride with Donna and just take photo's?
Thanks,

Bill, I guess I wouldn't mind riding pillion, but I doubt I'd make a very good passenger for Donna! You and GSDave and Virago700/Howard are thinking along the same lines... joking, I assume? hehehe.... Anyhow, the right wrist is broken, so no shooting the SLR until the cast is off. But I can report that the Canon Rebel XTi, brought to me by the very generous donations from the Pashnit family, survived the crash far better than I did -- intact! Phew!!!
motowriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:00 PM   #92
motowriter
Crazy Rider - 1000/24/24

Motorcycle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg
Now that's a post one does not want to see when checking in.

Gary, patch up soon. While I appreciate your wanting to sympathize with those of us Sick, Lame, & Lazy types...you really did not have to go this far. Race ya to the first one to get back on the bike (not fair, I know)?
That's funny, Mark. We went to Fallon this afternoon to look at the bike. It was standing up, on the side stand, looking pretty normal. The front fender is broken, missing a section in front, and the fairing and windshield took the brunt of the impact. tho neither cracked. We cranked the handlebars straight and the front end looked true, forks straight. So I popped it into neutral, pulled in the clutch and asked Donna to hit the ignition. The Beast fired right up! I gotta say, I was tempted to hopon the bike and see if she could roll! But for the broken wrist... sigh.

Hehe... anyway, re-reading your comment got me thinking that I almost beat ya.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:07 PM   #93
motowriter
Crazy Rider - 1000/24/24

Motorcycle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo
Whew,
A quick gut sinking feeling at first, but glad to hear it is not nearly as bad as it could have been.

I would be interested in seeing how your gear survived when you get the time.

Mend well Gary
Thanks, Kevin... I know that sinking feeling, seeing a report of a downed rider. But yer exactly right... things could have been much worse. When I get around to editing the pix from Sunday, we'll see that I was riding a deserted dirt road with no one around for miles. Realllly lucky I didn't crash there, but just a few yards from a main road!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:37 PM   #94
motowriter
Crazy Rider - 1000/24/24

Motorcycle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR Pilot
Gary heal quickly and do what ever they tell you to do for PT on the wrist or you'll be sorry about it later.
Thanks, Brad! You, Mrs. Bassman/Nona, and Nonixayu/Fenny are offering a most worthy reminder to follow doctor's orders and heal up the right way! Hopefully I can stand to follow the advice and resist the urge to get back on the bike too soon! Thanks Nona, Fenny, and Brad for your well wishes!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:40 PM   #95
motowriter
Crazy Rider - 1000/24/24

Motorcycle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1962
Oh no , not another .

Gary ,
Heal well , and let's haveyou back on the bike taking those great photos just as soon as you can .
I've no doubt with nurse Donna [ ] there to assist your recovery , you 'll be gracing these pages pretty soon , and we all look forward to that day .

Steve
Thank you, Steve! Donna has been a wonderful help since the crash. You're absolutely right that I am in very good hands!

Thanks, hon!!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:52 PM   #96
motowriter
Crazy Rider - 1000/24/24

Motorcycle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi
Thanks for the update Donna. We are so glad Gary is going to be ok. If you need anything let us know. Don's Dad lives in Fallon so we could come up and stay there if there is anything we can do to help.
Cyndi & Don Hopkirk
Hey, thanks very much, Cyndi! And everyone else who has offered assistance... What I'd really like to do is track down the folks who stopped on Hwy 50 and called 911. It was a couple, as I recall, and the woman was a kind Native American with glasses. The Sheriffs told Donna she was a retired nurse, confined to a wheelchair. Wow, talk about help above and beyond the call... Maybe Don's dad can ask around to see if anyone knows an Indian nurse who was on Hwy 50 Sunday night? Would be nice to send a thank you gift!

Thanks Cyndi and Don for your well wishes... hope to see you both soon!
Old 03-27-2007, 11:20 PM   #97
Bandit66
Ride your own ride

Name: Eric

Motorcycle:
  K2 Chtrom

Re: Gary - Had a Weekend Incident

Gary, go to bed! How can you type that much with a broken wrist┐
Bandit66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:38 PM   #98
motowriter
Crazy Rider - 1000/24/24

Motorcycle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedoctor
Sounds like he'll recover from his injuries, just will take some time. The rib fractures heal on their own and are often the more painful of the injuries. sounds like they did a closed reduction (set) his wrist and shot some pin(s) to hold it temporarily until it heals, then the pin(s) are removed.

All trauma patients will come in on a spine board, that rigid plastic thing that has straps to hold the patient securely and also have a plastic cervical collar. Often times, some of the clothing will have been cut away in the field to aid the EMTs in starting IVs, placing splints, etc. When they get to the hospital, everything's gotta come off so you can see every square inch of the patient. That's when we use trauma shears (heavy duty scissors) to remove the clothing. Rings (sometimes have to use a ring cutter to neatly cut the ring so it can be later repaired), watches, everything comes off. People at the hospital are pretty good about collecting your stuff, disposing of the cut up clothing, and securing your valuables in a safe place. They'll make an inventory down to even the littlest item. I've seen ones that listed stuff like 3 pennies. That's all they had, 3 pennies. Sounds like most everything is accounted for. I always hated taking the shears to good clothing, but it's the easiest and least painful way to get stuff off.

When I was a resident, I remember a motorcyclist brought in after an elderly couple turned left in front of him. He t-boned them and died of massive head injuries in the trauma bay, but what I remember was his helmet that had a Morgan silver dollar in it. He carried it someplace with him and it was brought to the hospital with him and ended up in his helmet. Hopefully it got to somebody who appreciated that keepsake.
Hi Ken, sounds like from your description that the N. NV emergency and medical professionals followed the script to the letter. I remember isolated bits of Sunday night. One of the bits was feeling annoyed at having my head taped down to a hard board. Heck, the ribs and wrist weren't bothering me as much as the back of my head. I kept wishing for a pillow! So, no, I don't remember the chopper flight, just how much I wanted my head untaped!

We retrieved the stuff from the accident scene this afternoon. The moto jacket was cut open along both arms. The right glove was cut off. My tail pack, with camera bag inside, was intact, including my zoom lens inside. No lower body damage or rash, so they left my pants be. But the 2 shirts I had on were both cut open up the chest. Call it crash memorobilia, eh?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:39 PM   #99
motowriter
Crazy Rider - 1000/24/24

Motorcycle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit66
Gary, go to bed! How can you type that much with a broken wrist┐
hehehe... sloooowly.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:58 AM   #100
aPm

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle:
  gsxr

Wow Gary, sounds like quite the ordeal. Really glad to see you posting so soon. Heal up and follow the doc's orders. I fractured my wrist last summer and now it feels stronger than ever. Hope to see you out on the road soon!
aPm is offline   Reply With Quote