Tours

Old 07-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
Loki
stirring the pot

Name: Jim

Motorcycle:
  Changes weekly

ATGATT is worthless

Many of you know me and have gone riding with me. Some of you have even been a student in a MSF class that I have taught. So, you're probably wondering why I would say ATGATT (all the gear all the time) is worthless because you all have seen me riding with proper gear and have heard me advocate the use of riding gear.

Recently, there has been a rash of motorcycle crashes involving people who are friends of mine. A few didn't survive and they were ATGATT. They were also experienced riders. The latest fatality among my riding friends had in excess of 20 years experience. He wore additional armor under his riding gear. For him ATGATT was useless. In his crash, only pieces of his Shoei helmet was found.

Many of us enjoy learning how to ride faster. We even give each other riding tips and suggestions on how to ride faster. We even joke about chicken strips. I know...I am guilty of this too. The most adamant thing I tell people is to ride at a pace well within their comfort zone.

It appears many people believe wearing ATGATT on the streets will make them invincible if they crash. They forget to use their most valuable riding gear. Their brain. Common sense and logic is gone. They ride precariously and at insanely fast speeds on public roadways being used by other vehicles. When they crash, ATGATT is worthless. They should have saved their money.

Public roads are filled with both seen and unseen hazards. For my friend, his hazard was easily seen. Unfortunately, triple digits speeds did not allow him to safely avoid it.

My riding tip for the day. Ride at speeds that will allow you to safely avoid hazards. If unavoidable, ATGATT combined with a lower, safer speed should help minimize or even prevent bodily injury. Just my opinion.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
John Noellert

Name: John

Motorcycle:
  GL1800, Victory Hammer

Re: ATTGATT is worthless

Excuse my ignorance please but what is ATTGATT?
Old 07-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
Loki
stirring the pot

Motorcycle:
  Changes weekly

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Noellert
Excuse my ignorance please but what is ATTGATT?
Sorry, it's All the gear all the time.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
BigD
Road Scholar

Name: Dennis

Motorcycle:
  05 ST1300, 09 DR 650

Re: ATGATT is worthless

Thanks Jim for the reminder... And I am sorry to hear about your friend.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
Cali Jen
Ready for the Road

Name: Jen

Motorcycle:
  '04 Ninja 500

Jim:

So sorry to hear of your loss. You point out a very good point. All the gear in the world won't protect a rider from their own stupidity or carelessness. It's enough to watch out for the cagers that demonstrate a lack of awareness.

Thank you for the reminder.

Jen
Cali Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
G8ESCAP
AKA Gixxerdale

Name: Dale

Motorcycle:
  4wd Dual Sport

I'm sorry for your loss(es) Jim. It's hard to lose a friend and no matter how hard we try we can't do enough to ease the pain of those left behind.

Yes I'm sure most of us are guilty of riding on the edge. I know I am, but these days I do my best to keep it cut back to that manageable level you mentioned. Lately riding with Amy and my wife Julie, I'm far more tame than I ever was. Must be aging and getting a little wiser with time.

For me it's no longer about how fast or how smooth a line. It's about a great journey on the road with good company. I'm more than happy to meet my riding friends who still ride the edge at the next stop and hear about how long they've been waiting. The point is to enjoy the ride and to arrive shiny side up.

I wear ATGATT and speak of it often. But there are those that are fearless and bulletproof, that will always ride the on edge with or without gear. Nothing will ever change that, except the rider.

On the track, it's cleared of obstacles so the gear does it's best job and surviving a crash is almost always a minor ordeal. But on our streets, they are filled with fixed and moving dangers limiting the gears ability to protect you.

I lost a friend who went down in the Santa Monicas and hit the guard rail, installed as a safety item for cages. The sudden impact and stop killed him. At first he was fine, no obvious external injuries, but wanted to sit and walked 10 feet sat down against the same rail and was gone. Much the same impact and situation that Dave/Scarman was lucky enough to survive.

We all know the risk we are taking. Most of us feel the rewards of riding out weigh the danger. Most of the time we are right.

"Ride like you own the road, and one day the road will own you"
G8ESCAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
FishWitch
~*~Crazy Lady~*~

Name: Sydney

FOLSOM!!! Not the Prison! 175K & counting!

Motorcycle:
  '05 Victory Kingpin

Send a message via AIM to FishWitch Send a message via MSN to FishWitch Send a message via Yahoo to FishWitch

Hell go ride nekkid then. That's what we need to practice around here. No gear just SQUID like behavior.

ATTGATT does work no matter what you may say. I am sorry about your friend. I am going to give myself every chance I have if the worse happens.

It's like the seat belt discussion. There is always going to be the case of the person who was wearing their belt and it was what caused their death. Seat belts DO save lives.

Out of curiosity, If just parts of your friends helmet were found, just how fast was this guy going? Did he disinegrate on impact?

I still advocate ATTGATT. AND GOOD JUDGEMENT! You can't fix stupid.

Member of The Victory True American Road Trip Team
FishWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:38 PM   #8
z_bassman
Playing the low notes...

Name: Sean

Motorcycle:
  Relying on others to cage me about.

Send a message via ICQ to z_bassman Send a message via AIM to z_bassman Send a message via MSN to z_bassman Send a message via Yahoo to z_bassman

donorcycle (DOH.nur.sy.kul) n. A motorcycle, particularly one that is extremely powerful and fast. Also: donor-cycle, donor cycle.
ódonorcyclist n.

Somebody, during my long stay in the hospital told me that 80% of organs donated come from moto-related deaths.

"A sunny day on a motorcycle in Tuscany...does not suck."
-Orson
http://zbassman.blogspot.com/
z_bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
Loki
stirring the pot

Motorcycle:
  Changes weekly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxerdale
I'm sorry for your loss(es) Jim. It's hard to lose a friend and no matter how hard we try we can't do enough to ease the pain of those left behind.

Yes I'm sure most of us are guilty of riding on the edge. I know I am, but these days I do my best to keep it cut back to that manageable level you mentioned. Lately riding with Amy and my wife Julie, I'm far more tame than I ever was. Must be aging and getting a little wiser with time.

For me it's no longer about how fast or how smooth a line. It's about a great journey on the road with good company. I'm more than happy to meet my riding friends who still ride the edge at the next stop and hear about how long they've been waiting. The point is to enjoy the ride and to arrive shiny side up.

I wear ATGATT and speak of it often. But there are those that are fearless and bulletproof, that will always ride the on edge with or without gear. Nothing will ever change that, except the rider.

On the track, it's cleared of obstacles so the gear does it's best job and surviving a crash is almost always a minor ordeal. But on our streets, they are filled with fixed and moving dangers limiting the gears ability to protect you.

I lost a friend who went down in the Santa Monicas and hit the guard rail, installed as a safety item for cages. The sudden impact and stop killed him. At first he was fine, no obvious external injuries, but wanted to sit and walked 10 feet sat down against the same rail and was gone. Much the same impact and situation that Dave/Scarman was lucky enough to survive.

We all know the risk we are taking. Most of us feel the rewards of riding out weigh the danger. Most of the time we are right.
Thanks for your sympathy Dale. I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

I can't agree with you more. If you are going to ride in excess of 100% of your ability, take it to the track.

In Dave's situation, the gear played a valuable part in his survival combined with the on scene medical team's response.

I don't exactly ride slow. But, if someone wants to ride faster, like you, I will see them at the next stop point. Earlier this year, Larry (Jester) and I rode together. He was leading. At a stop, he asked me if he was riding too slow. I told him I was doing exactly what he was doing. Taking in the scenery.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #10
Loki
stirring the pot

Motorcycle:
  Changes weekly

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_bassman
donorcycle (DOH.nur.sy.kul) n. A motorcycle, particularly one that is extremely powerful and fast. Also: donor-cycle, donor cycle.
ódonorcyclist n.

Somebody, during my long stay in the hospital told me that 80% of organs donated come from moto-related deaths.
I have to remember donorcycle. Sean, I have no idea if that 80% is true.