Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Pashnit Roads, Rides & Bikes > International - Road Trips & Pics, Pics, Pics

Notices

Motoroads

Old 07-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
demenshea
10% Angel 90% Hooligan

Name: Donna

Motorcycle:
  07 BMW R1200R

Send a message via AIM to demenshea
Thumbup Demenshea's 7 State 2 Province Journey...home to reflect

I love motorcycle adventures. I love the anticipation and preparation and the subsequent glow upon returning home after a successful journey. I love the human interaction encountered while traveling and I love the freedom, most of all. The freedom to take a deep breath of daring, exposing the underbelly of desire found sleeping within, then setting it free with a grin.

Grinning, I mounted my trusty moto-steed and headed north solo; embarking on a 14-day adventure to visit country I had yet to experience. My GPS presented a healthy dose of craziness traveling over 5 states and 2 Canadian provinces and nearly 2600 miles, a less than daunting sum for the serious Iron Butt explorer. However, not being part of the IBA, I was feeling like this was substantial mileage, that and the fact, I needed to walk before I could run.

Double checking my bags, to make sure all zippers were zipped and all was properly attached, I gave a passionate kiss to my husband and rode east to Winnemucca, NV, the first gas stop before turning north to no-woman’s-land. The road was a glorious surface, abeit boring. The long straight sections made speed easily accessible and cautionary resolve indifferent. Looking ahead, I thought of the early explorers contemplating the end of the earth and dropping off into the unknown. The unknown was miles ahead and when I arrived it was reset to begin yet again, becoming my mileage purgatory.

Ride Like a Girl
Travel Blog for Riders
demenshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
demenshea
10% Angel 90% Hooligan

Motorcycle:
  07 BMW R1200R

Re: Demenshea's 5 State 2 Province Journey Pt 1

Occasionally a lush valley would emerge from the unknown benevolently contributing shades of green to the otherwise brown and amber countryside.

A few towns rose in the distance complete with dusty whirlwinds and curious onlookers. Summer fires burned in the hills creating a surreal smoky horizon of endless proportion, leaving the GPS as sole navigator.

Gas must have been plentiful with the combination of coffee and chorizo

Nevada became Oregon became Idaho and became Oregon again, giving me the town of Ontario as my first overnight stop and a place to take a needed swim. The motel was filled with firefighters as the desert burned with a record 85 fires surrounding Ontario in both Oregon and Idaho. They looked as tired as I felt.

A good night of sleep left me energized and ready to ride early. I left Ontario at 6:30 am to a chilly but refreshing Highway 30. Today I would enter some higher desert and a road less traveled using Hwy 82 to Hwy 3 through the Wallowa Whitman National Forest. I might actually encounter a twisty road or two!

Highway 30 rose to some beautiful mountain passes presenting high desert in full regalia.

Ride Like a Girl
Travel Blog for Riders
Old 07-22-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
demenshea
10% Angel 90% Hooligan

Motorcycle:
  07 BMW R1200R

After changing to Hwy 82, the roadside became more quaint and scenic. Small towns spilled into the horizon and the town of Elgin displayed some local humor.

Riding closer to Wallowa, the sky once again filled with smoke from a large wildfire, although it didn’t faze the local herd.

Wallowa was Nez Perce country spreading from Oregon to Washington to Idaho. I passed several tribe members as they made their way to a large regional pow-wow. When I was stopped taking some pictures, I met Wally, a local Nez Perce tribesman, who provided me will a camel-bak refill, ice and some great tales. Thanks, Wally!

Ride Like a Girl
Travel Blog for Riders
Old 07-22-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
demenshea
10% Angel 90% Hooligan

Motorcycle:
  07 BMW R1200R

A few more miles up brought me to the summit and a motorcycle dream road through Hell’s Canyon that follows the Snake River. WOW…. similar to CA’s Little Dragon”, only this was miles long. And oh what a marvelous ride! What was truly amazing was that I passed only a small handful of other travelers.

The road wound to an end in Asotin right along the border of Washington and Idaho. Crossing the river Washington became Idaho and the town of Lewiston. From Lewiston back into Washington then all the way to Spokane the roadside provided miles and miles of farmland and the “amber waves of grain”. There grows wheat, lentils and garbanzo beans bleeding different shades of yellow to amber to green over rolling hillsides.

I rolled into a cloudy Spokane, arriving safely at my brother’s house after nearly 10 hours of a scenic yet surreal landscape.

I spent two lovely days visiting my family and will leave early tomorrow morning for Nelson, British Columbia.

to be continuted...

Ride Like a Girl
Travel Blog for Riders
Old 07-22-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
resident squid

Name: Erik

Motorcycle:
  2007 Z1000

wow-had I known your plans I could have hooked you up for a nights stay-my folks live across the river from ontario in peyette.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
kimber99
99.44% Pure

Name: Kimber

Motorcycle:
  2003 BMW 650GS

Wow. I just need to retire. There are TOO MANY GOOD ROADS out there! Snake River looks AWESOME!!!

Go Donna Go!!!

p.s. I even got Doni to take her eyes off the new Harry Potter book she's been reading every free moment this weekend long enough to look at that pic with the awesome curves!!!

p.p.s. Idaho is WAY out there...but not quite "international"... :-)
Old 07-22-2007, 09:18 PM   #7
Megan
Down but not out

Name: Megan

Motorcycle:
  Thumper RIP F650 GSA

Send a message via AIM to Megan Send a message via Yahoo to Megan

More, more, more!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
Sbyllek
I Miss my Bonneville...

Name: Kelly

Motorcycle:
  Hubby's bike

Send a message via AIM to Sbyllek Send a message via Yahoo to Sbyllek

Donna,

I don't know that I would have the guts to attempt an epic journey like yours on my own, even if I was as good a rider as yourself!

Good on you and I wish you the best of luck and experiences on your adventure!

Looking forward to the pictures and delightful narratives as your travels progress!!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:32 PM   #9
eye.surgeon
...riding California...

Name: Rod

Motorcycle:
  Ducati Multistrada

Wow looks like an amazing trip. Nelson is awesome and I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.
eye.surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:21 PM   #10
Steve1962
One more mile ...........

Name: Steve

Motorcycle:
  BMW R 1100 R

Great stuff Donna

Fantastic report , and I love the photos - looks like you are having fun on your new bike .

Ride safe and enjoy ,

Steve