Article Tools Display Modes
In Search of Bigfoot
In Search of Bigfoot
Wanderlust
Published by Wanderlust
05-25-2005
Contents
Artist Painting Introduction

Every so often, I get the itch to be on the road. Spring and fall in northern California are my favorite times to ride. Spring brings out the greens of meadows and trees, and all the colors and fragrance of wildflowers, and everything is clean and fresh. The beauty of riding is that every new smell in the air immediately fills the olfactories and makes me an integral part of my surroundings. Fall displays another sensory feast, this time for the eyes. Reds, yellows, and oranges abound and seem to swallow me up so that I feel like I’m part of a huge painting that belongs over someone’s livingroom sofa.

In October, 2003 I took three days, got on my bike and headed north. No particular plan, except that I wanted to see the little town of Happy Camp on Hwy 96. I had seen the name while exploring my maps, and thought, "…sounds like a happy place." Other than that one goal, I just rode where I wanted, and found motel rooms where I ended up each evening. I love life on the road.

It’s great sharing these rides with other riders who feel the same way, but often I just go solo, either by choice or by necessity. The beauty of being alone is that there is only one person whose opinion I need to worry about… that would be me. I go where I want, when I want.

The following pictures were all taken on this trip. I hope you enjoy them as I do. It is always a trade-off for me between enjoying the flow of the road, and stopping to document my adventures. Also, I tend to take fewer pictures as I get closer to the end of a trip. The thought of kicking back in my easy chair just sort of sucks me in.

Day 1 - Rolling out of Dixon

All decked out in front of my house in Dixon.
Name:  01.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  89.8 KB

Breakfast at Williams, just off of Hwy 5. This was a little fruit stand, out in the middle of nowhere.
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  142.8 KB

Stopped for a photo at Clear Lake on Hwy 20. This road around the lake is quite twisty, good pavement, and fun to ride, unless following a string of cars. Places to pass here are few and far between.

Name:  03.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  104.2 KB

Along Hwy 101 I took a detour do do some exploring and found myself behind a locked gate when I was ready to get back on 101. A passing trucker must have seen that before, because he gave me a loud blast on his horn and waved as he went by. I had to do some backtracking, but didn't mind. There was no schedule to keep!

Name:  04.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  108.4 KB

Name:  05.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  108.5 KB

Back on Hwy 101, headed north to the redwoods.
Name:  06.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  105.7 KB

The view from Hwy 101 of part of the detour I took. It was as fun as it looks.
Name:  07.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  178.6 KB

Entering the Avenue of the Giants

Name:  08.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  102.8 KB

Name:  09.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  101.6 KB

It got much cooler as I entered the shade of these big trees. At this point, I didn't worry about making time. I just cruised along, enjoying the trees towering over me and the cool breeze moving past.

It got so dark in these trees that I had to lift my smoked face shield to see the road.
Name:  10.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  72.9 KB

A side road that led to a camp ground. Those trees sure make you feel small.
Name:  11.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  130.9 KB

Just off Hwy 101 is the little town of Scotia. They had a wonderful old train museum, with some very well-preserved old steam engines and other relics.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  93.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0482.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  119.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0483.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  105.6 KB

I spent the night in Willow Creek. There wasn't much to do in town after dark, so I visited the local pool hall and practiced up. I knew I was in Bigfoot country because everywhere I turned I saw evidence of his presence.
Name:  13.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  73.7 KB

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  99.6 KB

<< <    Next Page (Page 1 of 3)    >  >>
By FD929 on 05-28-2005, 08:04 AM
Re: In Search of Bigfoot - Round Trip to Happy Camp

Awesome pics Coop!! Great writeup.
By Backmarker on 05-28-2005, 09:41 AM

Those colors were unbelievable. That was just stunning. Thanks!!
By Wanderlust on 06-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Member reviews
TrafficN/A
ParkingN/A
FoodN/A
PricesN/A
ServiceN/A
Overall
10%10%10%
Average 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backmarker
Those colors were unbelievable. That was just stunning. Thanks!!
Thanks for taking a look. I'd like to do something similar again this fall.
By Helmetdance on 06-22-2005, 05:02 PM

Coop -

You're really making it so much harder for me to wait out the remaining 38 days that remain before I take off for CA!! I plan to ride the 3/36/96 loop while there - can't wait! That shot on the second page of the two turns on the hill, just after the yellow caution sign with the left arrow - awesome shot!
By Wanderlust on 06-22-2005, 09:11 PM
Member reviews
TrafficN/A
ParkingN/A
FoodN/A
PricesN/A
ServiceN/A
Overall
10%10%10%
Average 10%

Mark,

You are in for the treat of your life. Are you riding all the way from Indiana? How long will you be on the road? What other parts of Calif. will you be seeing? I'm jealous!
By Toyuzu on 06-22-2005, 09:46 PM

Cooper,

You've officially proven that New England doesn't have a monopoly on vibrant fall colors. The west coast gets the colors at different times. I love the pic with your bike at the base of those two Redwoods.
By Helmetdance on 06-23-2005, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper99
Mark,

You are in for the treat of your life. Are you riding all the way from Indiana? How long will you be on the road? What other parts of Calif. will you be seeing? I'm jealous!
Coop - Yep, I'll be riding all the way from Hoosierland - I'm so psyched already I can't stand it, I'm leaving 5 weeks from Saturday. The trip duration will last between 30 to 34 days, depending on how I head home. The point-to-point mileage has evolved into something like 11,500 miles. Therefore I expect the total mileage once I get back home to be around 13K again, like last year.

I posted my itenerary on the "Upcoming Rides" forum, in hopes of seeing a few Pashnitites along the way. Clicky here: http://pashnitforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451
By HUGH on 06-23-2005, 05:58 AM

Jim great pics. When did you take the picture in front of the scotia museum.
I think I might have seen you taking the shot. I work at the other end of the mill but I am down at the main office 3-4 times a week. I see lots of people stop there on bikes and always wonder how many of them are pashonites.
By Wanderlust on 06-23-2005, 07:06 AM
Member reviews
TrafficN/A
ParkingN/A
FoodN/A
PricesN/A
ServiceN/A
Overall
10%10%10%
Average 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGH
Jim great pics. When did you take the picture in front of the scotia museum.
I think I might have seen you taking the shot. I work at the other end of the mill but I am down at the main office 3-4 times a week. I see lots of people stop there on bikes and always wonder how many of them are pashonites.
Hugh,
The picture at the Scotia museum would have been on Friday, October 24, 2003 mid afternoon. I remember the museum was closed. I had just missed getting in, but took some great pictures of the old locomotives around the outside. I loved visitng Scotia. It seemed so clean and inviting. Thanks for the comments.
Attached Images

Comment