Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > General Forums > Maintenance, Repair & Dealers

Notices

Tours

Old 09-18-2007, 06:24 AM   #1
firefly

Name: firefly

Motorcycle:
  2003 Yamaha vmax

Shrug How can I tell if the rear shocks are shot?

I installed Works performance shocks on my bike ~30K ago, I feel some sliding of the rear wheel occasionally, is it time to rebuild them or should I look at other causes.
Note: tires are in a good shape and properly inflated, forks have fresh oil and seals 2 weeks ago.
Thanks for your time.
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:43 AM   #2
m0t0-ryder
->Live2Ryd2Live<-

Name: John

Motorcycle:
  '88 R100 GS + more

Send a message via AIM to m0t0-ryder
Re: How can I tell if the rear shocks are shot?

I think sliding of the rear wheel is normal... for a VMax!

I also think a shock with 30K on it should be OK, if it hasn't been ridden real hard over real rough roads. Especially a nice aftermarket shock.
Seeping oil and "pogoing" (felt when the bike is bounced up and down) would be a couple of things to look for.

You could also take a look at your swingarm bearings to see if they have any play in them.
This is easiest done by getting the rear end of the bike off the ground and pushing/pulling aggressivly sideways on the swingarm. If there's loosness in the swingarm bearings you will feel it.
If there's movement consider replacement.

Ride as if your life depended on it!
m0t0-ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #3
exwingnut

Name: .

Motorcycle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0t0-ryder
I think sliding of the rear wheel is normal... for a VMax!
I have see you ride, John...sliding the rear wheel is not an option for some, it seems to be a requirement.

I have been noticing something on a lot of roads I ride that is making riding even more interesting; on the roads where the put down the brown slurry and then gravel, small ridges build up where the slurry nozzles put down the most junk and more gravel sticks there creating rows of ridges in the pavement surface. When you wheel rolls off the top of a ridge into the valley it can cause a feeling of sliding that I have yet to get used to.

Particularly nice in corners where you are leaned over and the back wheel moves out 2-3 inches all-of-a-sudden-like.

But the part about the v-max's power 'assisting' the rear wheel slide is a big factor too (dang those things are fast!) and I would like to think that you are going to get more than 30k out of a rebuild on works shocks (altho' the rebuild schedule on my ohlins is 20-25k and they do degrade after that.)
exwingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:53 AM   #4
firefly

Motorcycle:
  2003 Yamaha vmax

OK, I found the problem, YES the shocks are shot, I took them off and installed the stock shocks, what a difference, no sliding now!
so I took the shocks to works performance to rebuilding them.
The symptoms of instability made me think something is wrong with the front suspension.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Chocoholic
Riding = Chocolate

Name: Fenny

Motorcycle:
  06 650R,07 KTM250MXC

Send a message via Yahoo to Chocoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly
OK, I found the problem, YES the shocks are shot, I took them off and installed the stock shocks, what a difference, no sliding now!
so I took the shocks to works performance to rebuilding them.
The symptoms of instability made me think something is wrong with the front suspension.
No!! Don't take it back unless you have warranty still. I bought their shock and 25K miles later, it started to bounce like a po-go stick. I took the shock to Lindeman in Santa Clara and now works much better. It took him 3 hr to rebuild and adjusting when we're there.
Chocoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:30 AM   #6
firefly

Motorcycle:
  2003 Yamaha vmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocoholic
No!! Don't take it back unless you have warranty still. I bought their shock and 25K miles later, it started to bounce like a po-go stick. I took the shock to Lindeman in Santa Clara and now works much better. It took him 3 hr to rebuild and adjusting when we're there.
I don't think they are still under warranty, I took them to Works performance and they rebuild them for $98.00 so I'll pick them up today and put them on the bike.
The real surprise is that the bike felt unstable in front together with some sliding in the back, I thought the forks were the culprit but couldn't say for sure , I just had the forks done ~ few weeks ago, I even thought the rear tire needs replacement but it looks like it has another 1K to go, I heard that the metzler Z4 (which I have) has a tendency to loose grip at half life? so just for the peace of mind I ordered the Z6
I ride extensively in surface streets so that eats the suspension pretty quick.

Having a good well adjusted suspension on the vmax really makes a huge difference in its handling, I think its money very well spent.