Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Adventure Touring & Off-pavement explorations > Generally Speaking: Adventure, Dual & Dirt

Notices

Motoroads

Old 10-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
VFR Pilot
Ride the wheels off it

Name: Brad

Motorcycle:
  02 Honda VFR, 89 Honda Transalp (RIP) SAG Wagon

Great Ride Bad Ending

Well the ride started when I called Mark and asked him is he wanted to do a ride up in the hills on Saturday of the Labor Day weekend.
Mark was a little iffy about riding on the Holiday but I said what about some back dirt roads so he agreed and said he wanted to try
Chimney Peak so we were a go.

We met Saturday morning around 9:00 am at the bottom of the hill at the Cheveron on Hwy 178, and headed up the Mark in the lead
not a lot of traffic and what little we found we got around with no problem. Up to Lake Isabella and right through no problems and
traffic is still lite with most of it headed for the lake or the river. Past Kelso Valley, then Weldon and then a fuel stop in Onyx at the Cheveron.
Just a quick stop to top off the bikes and get a little something to rehydrate. Mark said the turn off was just a little bit
up the road and then DIRT, well about 8 mile and we turn off Hwy 178 and find this.

First stop to air down the tires and make sure everything is secure then off to the dirt. The first stretch was flat and straight and
full of sand but we made it though no problems.
Name:  IMG_1120.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  145.5 KB

Name:  Picture 001.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  191.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1117.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  135.7 KB

The next stop is the scenic view of where we just came from.
Name:  Picture 007.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  199.8 KB

The bend in the road is were we turned off Hwy 178
Name:  Picture 005.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  191.8 KB

This shows the long sandy stretch before we started the climb.
Name:  IMG_1123.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  127.6 KB

Now here’s the fun part, this is the climb to the stop.
Name:  up hill2.JPG
Views: 650
Size:  198.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1133.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  98.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1121.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  140.2 KB

The upper road is where we were headed.
Name:  Picture 009.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  196.7 KB

Some of the views from over the first pass.
Name:  Picture 019.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  137.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1137.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  111.2 KB
Old 10-10-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
VFR Pilot
Ride the wheels off it

Name: Brad

Motorcycle:
  02 Honda VFR, 89 Honda Transalp (RIP) SAG Wagon

Re: Great Ride Bad Ending

Our next stop was at a loop we were going to take but found out the road was closed just past Long Valley camp ground. If you look just to the right of the sign you can see the road winding back over the pass to Hwy 178.
Name:  Picture 025.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  138.9 KB

Name:  Picture 024.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  117.2 KB

Then on we went to heading out to Kennedy Meadows Road. We did find another camp ground, on our way that was completely empty and this a Holiday weekend.
Name:  IMG_1143.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  96.9 KB

A quick stop to air up the tires and then head up to Sherman Pass.
Name:  Picture 027.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  130.9 KB

We stopped for lunch at Grumpy Bears and had a burger and fries and a cold glass of Ice Tea.
Name:  Picture 033.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  106.5 KB

Of course Mark and I being the Rebels had to temp our fait and park where we shouldnít.
Name:  Picture 034.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  157.7 KB

After lunch we continued up to Sherman Pass, there had been a heavy rain earlier that week and we found lots of dirt and rocks on the road, which made the ride a little slower. We finally made it to the Pass Vista and it was well worth the ride.
Name:  IMG_1148.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  128.7 KB

Name:  Picture 046.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  127.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1152.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  110.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1154.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  71.2 KB

We left the Vista and headed down the hill for Kern River Hwy/Mountain Road 99, and this is the fun we had going down.
Name:  Picture 048.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  197.9 KB

Name:  Picture 050.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  182.4 KB

We made it down to the bottom of Sherman Pass Road and headed down Kern River Hwy/Mountain Road 99 for Kernville. This is where we begin to see all of the holiday crowd. Not so much on the road but pack along the side of it. People parked so they were just off the road, we even had to watch out for river tubers walking on the edge of the road. At this point is when it went all bad. Mark was in the lead and all of a sudden a car started to back out into traffic but he stopped just as Mark got to him, I saw this and by the time I got to him he backed out again but this time he didnít see me and I didnít get far enough over to the left to avoid him. The rest everyone knows from Marks thread.

This is where the bike ended up and according to Mark I was about where the Sheriffís car is parked.
Name:  Picture 061.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  186.9 KB

Some may find this next picture hard to look at but this is the out come after 5 surgeryís and almost a month in the hospital. Thanks again to all that sent there prayers and best wishes that were much needed and I canít say thanks enough.
Name:  IMG_1162.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  75.5 KB

Pictures are from both Mark and myself.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
G8ESCAP
AKA Gixxerdale

Name: Dale

Motorcycle:
  4wd Dual Sport

Well Brad it looks to have been a great ride. To bad we can't rewrite the ending. But hey, you're doing so well I can't believe the improvement.

That photo makes me cringe, and I saw it when it looked really bad. Amazing work they've done.

So Brad, on that note, .....when are we going riding again?

"Ride like you own the road, and one day the road will own you"
G8ESCAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
resident squid

Name: Erik

Motorcycle:
  2007 Z1000

I'm just glad your alive to tell the tale.

...remember chicks dig scars.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
Loki
stirring the pot

Name: Jim

Motorcycle:
  Changes weekly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911
I'm just glad your alive to tell the tale.

...remember chicks dig scars.
Really? They seem to run when they see mine...

Anyway Brad, I'm glad you're recovering. It seems Mark and his lovely wife are doing a fantastic job nursing you back to health.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
motorrad
Diggin'dirt

Name: Tom

Motorcycle:
  WR250R

Hey Brad, really nice pics and report. The ending made me cringe, as felt like I was there. Was great to visit with you, Mark, and Judy, this past Saturday as we passed through Bakersfield. You were in our thoughts for sure as we rode up the Kern river to Sherman Pass Rd and then down into Kennedy Meadow. What an awesome ride area, so many dirt roads and great paved ones to tempt a return trip. Hang tough my friend, stay positive, and heal up.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:54 PM   #7
ninja_o
I am done learning ...

Name: S...

Motorcycle:
  Concours 14

Reading your ride report I was lost for a moment in the beautiful scenic ride until I saw the last pic. The good thing is that you are alive and hopeful and on your way to recovery. This by itself is a big blessing especially when you consider how many complex surgeries you have gone through.
I am sure I am not alone in wishing you a very quick recovery and a happy and adventurous life ahead

get well soon !!
ninja_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:58 AM   #8
matthewp
Combat Truck Monkey

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle:
  Toura-busa

Brad, great ride... almost all the way through! You are looking good though. Back to your old, jovial self! Your leg will come along soon by the looks of it!

Now, if only the docs could've added an inch or two in length while they were at it!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:45 AM   #9
Oddball_One
Senior Technofile

Name: Matt

Motorcycle:
  05 BMW R1200GS

Thanks for posting Brad. Its good to see you on the mend. BTW did the offending cager get cited for anything?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:58 AM   #10
katana_ron
Tuna Canyon, please!

Name: Ron

Motorcycle:
  1990 Katana 600, RM125, and a whole bunch of Chinese made bikes for the wife and kids.

It's great to see you posting and you can feel your upbeat attitude in the writing. Great report (until the end), but glad to see and hear you are recovering so well.

You are the man.

katana_ron is offline   Reply With Quote