Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > The Pashnit Family > Pashnit Motorcycle Tours - pics, pics, pics

Notices

Motoroads

Old 10-08-2004, 12:46 PM   #1
pashnit
Yes, I'm the guy

Name: Tim

Motorcycle:
  Hayabusa

July 2004 NorCal Pashnit Guided Tour

Took a little roadtrip leading a guided tour of the Northern California Motorcycle Paradise the other day- Want to ride along?

NOTE: You can also watch the video! Clicky for Pashnit NorCal Guided Tour Video

I was talking to a fellow rider the other day who'd been on of our rides the other day. It'd been three days since the ride.

"I'm still trying to get back to my normal routine," he said. "I can't seem to get back into the groove."

Don't mean to sound sappy, but riding is like that sometimes. I seem to achieve a sense of balance after a 3 days and nearly 1000 miles clocked on the bike. All's right with the world and the thirst has been satiated for awhile.

We all met in Sausalito, just north of the Golden Gate Bridge, we did our safety brief, and headed north. Highway 1 is one of these places you can come to again and again. You'll never tire of the Ocean, and it's always the same, you can always count on an endless sea of blue, crashing waves, bit of fog, and the utmost beautiful ride.

The riders as usual were as varied as the bikes they rode. There was Sten on his Yamaha RoadStar.

Steve on his VFR who's only getting back into motorcycling now that the kids are grown. This is the smile you get after riding Highway 36, , one of California's most famous roads. Highly promoted by that pashnit guy.

pashnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 12:47 PM   #2
pashnit
Yes, I'm the guy

Motorcycle:
  Hayabusa

Shawn on his Concours which he purchased for mere pennies and has developed into a capable sport-touring machine.

Immanuel who is now on his third ride with us and riding his fantastic VFR with an intensely lowered custom sculpted Corbin seat. He came equipped this time with a Video Camera Mount and a inexpensive two-way radio with a push to talk to join in on the chatter. Worked great.

Jeff who rode all the way up from LA. Jeff is a grip, as in movies. It reminded me of movie credits- where it credits the 'grips' and you always wonder what in the world is a 'grip'? I couldn't stop attempting to photograph his hard core sexy Aprilia Tuono- said to be The Best Naked Bike by Motorcyclist Magazine. After riding with Jeff, I'd have to agree. He also is apart of a fledgling video production company and offered to help us develop some of the video I've been shooting with the cam mount on the Hayabusa.
http://www.pashnit.com/cam-mount.htm

Old 10-08-2004, 12:48 PM   #3
pashnit
Yes, I'm the guy

Motorcycle:
  Hayabusa

And don't forget the comparing of tatoos!

Gratuitous shot of Jeff's Aprilia Tuono. We drooled over it all weekend.

Bill and Mieko also came along again on the big LT. Bill owns a gaming company- Mastiff Games based from San Francisco.

Old 10-08-2004, 12:51 PM   #4
pashnit
Yes, I'm the guy

Motorcycle:
  Hayabusa

There was also Dusty who rode up from San Luis Obispo down on the Central California coast, who just left on a 30 day ride to circumvent the entire United States on his FJR. Check out his brand new website at http://www.dustydavis.com . Dusty is an artist and also a Graphic Designer who'd offered to help us out with some design work. He also just started a web blog in preparation for his ride- DustyDavis.com

And Darryl who just bought this spiffy new Suzuki V-Strom. Darryl has tried to go on two previous rides but had to bow out both times at the last moment. Fortunately, the motorcycle gods smiled and he was able to make the ride.

My riding partner Tim on the FJR

Old 10-08-2004, 12:52 PM   #5
pashnit
Yes, I'm the guy

Motorcycle:
  Hayabusa

And Yours Truly.

One thing that we had some degree of success with this weekend was the use of communicators. Both Tim and myself have the Autocoms with the Kenwood Freetalk XL two-way radio. These proved well-worth the money- they were crystal clear even at speed and worked great. Several of the motorcyclists also had systems that ran under $100.

Here's Steve's for example

Steve took a bar end, as in that thing on the end of your handlebars, and screwed it into the steering head of his VFR, then attached the Two Way Radio clip to it, and viola! Instant communicator mount.

Old 10-08-2004, 12:53 PM   #6
pashnit
Yes, I'm the guy

Motorcycle:
  Hayabusa

The push to talk - (haven't had much luck with the VOX (voice activation systems) and the PTT is the way to go.

Seems that we spent much of the weekend inspecting each others bikes. The Aprilia drew a lot of attention.

Bikes along the beautiful Pacific Ocean on Highway 1

After the requisite stop at Stewarts Point to refuel, the group pushed on.

The ride up the coast is always thrilling, scenic, and always leaves me in a state of awe.

Old 10-08-2004, 12:53 PM   #7
pashnit
Yes, I'm the guy

Motorcycle:
  Hayabusa

The portion north of Bodega Bay where it rides up and over high above the water below is adrenaline on wheels. Every moment is a magazine cover photograph.

Like this one!

This is one of the more twisty sections as the ride climbs up the steep ridgeline north of Bodega Bay.

We had stopped at Historic Fort Ross on a previous ride, but skipped it in favor of heading north.

Fort Ross

Old 10-08-2004, 12:55 PM   #8
pashnit
Yes, I'm the guy

Motorcycle:
  Hayabusa

This historic Russian Chapel you can see from Highway 1

A stop at the Point Arena Lighthouse always brings to light a step into the past.

Originally built in 1870, then re-built in 1908 after the first was damaged beyond repair in the 1906 Earthquake, this present day one was built and continues to stand.

http://www.pointarenalighthouse.com/ just in case you're wondering.

Old 10-08-2004, 12:55 PM   #9
pashnit
Yes, I'm the guy

Motorcycle:
  Hayabusa

The spiral stairs to the top, this is looking down- Vertigo!!

View from the top of the Pacific Coast line

After a climb up the spiral staircase, Jeff and I marvelled at the view, and the sheer size of the fresnel lens. You come to expect the view, but there's no precursor to let you in on this massive Fresnel lens. Picture a normal lightbulb. Now picture if the lightbulb where taller than you- that's pretty much the visual. It's massive.

Jeff standing next to the lens- you still can't tell how large it is- taller than a person and weighs 2.5 tons. The lens is said to be worth $3.5 Million dollars!

Interestingly enough, all that's inside the massive lens, is two tiny lightbulbs of 1000 watts apiece. Guess that's all that's needed. The light projects out 16 miles! It was last lit around 1977 when it was replaced with a tiny 40 lb light atop the tower capable of doing the same job. Jeff on the other side provides a bit of scale.

Old 10-08-2004, 12:56 PM   #10
pashnit
Yes, I'm the guy

Motorcycle:
  Hayabusa

A massive screw is attached to the bottom of the lens to allow it to be raised for cleaning.

Well worth the visit. Keep in mind there are 4 lightkeepers quarters here you can rent, sort of out of the way, but definetly a draw if you like to get away from the bustle of the city.

And oh did I mention the view?!!!

Here's a picture of a picture- this is the lighthouse today.

A small museum rounds out place, complete with ample tales of the logging of days gone by along the coast, much information on whale watching along the coast including a massive whale bone, presumably the top of the skull.

Mieko checking it out