Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Pashnit Roads, Rides & Bikes > United States - Road Trips & Pics, pics, pics

Notices

Old 11-04-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
k7lvo

Name: Lewis

Motorcycle:
  '07 FJR1300; '03 Gold Wing

A Sunny Saturday on the Oregon Coast

With the weather forecast predicting 70 degrees and sunshine at Brookings, OR, the banana belt of the Oregon coast, and 37 degrees with fog in Medford, there was no doubt where we wanted to be. As we swept through the curves of the Applegate Valley the sky got brighter, and was a sunny blue and we thought we were through with fog for the day. When another white shroud appeared in the distance, we decided to try to get above the clouds and hung a left toward Deer Creek Road.

The plan worked. It was still a bit chilly (note the partially fogged-over whindshield)...

...but we were out from under this blanket of white.

There is still some color left at 5,000 feet where we stopped to bask in the 48-degree sunshine.

This trike can corner like a sports car. He doesn't slow us down!

After an early lunch at the Patrick Creek Lodge on SR-199, we were back at sea level by shortly after noon.

Nature's sculptures:

I've never seen so many Pelicans in one place. We saw several flocks flying north (?) along the coast.

I can watch the waves for a long time. They were especially beautiful today, with the wind blowing the tops of them off.

We turned inland at Bandon on SR-42 and made short work of it's twists and turns, then slabbed it south to home - 400 miles, a fine rall day's ride!

In closing, a bonus. These weren't taken on a motorcycle ride, but I've got to share them, anyway.

And, here is the next-generation motorcyclist. My grandson just turned 2, and Grandma and Grandpa figured it was time to get him started. (He's already graduated from the ball cap to a bicycle helmet, so he's on the right track, but we're still working on getting him to wear his eye protection right side up! ) He's going to make a fine riding pardner for Grandpa!
Old 11-04-2007, 11:11 PM   #2
half_a_tiger

Name: Paul

Motorcycle:
  Honda Pan European '03

Re: A Sunny Saturday on the Oregon Coast

Nicely done, Lewis. And nice pics, too. Keep them coming!!
half_a_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
Mountaintime

Name: Dan

Motorcycle:
  05 Suzuki V Strom

Great pics. Especially the last ones. I too can watch waves for a long time.

What route did you take outbound?
Mountaintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
Ally House
Playing the low notes 2

Name: Ally

Motorcycle:
  FZ1

Lewis,
Nice post--way to "carpe sunshine", Oregon style. Did you take 238 to Grants Pass, or some sneaky, SoOr road you know about? I love seeing pics of the valley where I grew up...how well I know that fog!
Ally
Old 11-05-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
k7lvo

Name: Lewis

Motorcycle:
  '07 FJR1300; '03 Gold Wing

Here is the entire route:

And here's a blow-up of the "goaty" segment? (Right, Tyler?)

The 1st and 2nd pictures were taken at wp 2, the 3rd and 4th were at wp 3, the 5th and 6th were near wp 5, the 7-9th were at the little park just south of Bandon, as was the picture below, taken by Pat, the trike rider.

We've had several days of morning fog. One of the local talk show hosts says we're having San Francisco weather...