Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Adventure Touring & Off-pavement explorations > Generally Speaking: Adventure, Dual & Dirt

Notices

Old 11-29-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
motorrad
Diggin'dirt

Name: Tom

Motorcycle:
  WR250R

Clear Creek D/S Ride, Dec 8-9

I'm planning on some dual sport riding over at the Clear Creek OHV area the weekend of 8-9 December. The 1st Annual Fun Ride to Save Clear Creek hosted by the Salinas Ramblers Motorcycle Club and BRP will be taking place, sounds like a good time.

Here's a link with sign up information. Some more good info on the area (scroll down).

I plan to ride over Saturday morning from Monterey, enjoy a guided Fun Ride tour of the area, camp out if the weather is OK, ride a full day on Sunday to explore some more, then head back home Sunday afternoon around 3pm. I'll be on my 650GS with Metzler Tourance tires, so nothing to crazed.

One more link to a similar ride report I posted a while back. Really fun time, beautiful area.

Let me know if interested in joining for the full weekend, or for a Sunday D/S ride.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
Don Hopkirk
100% Hedonist

Name: Don

Motorcycle:
  07 DL650 V-strom

Re: Clear Creek D/S Ride, Dec 8-9

I am definitely in for Sunday.

Don Hopkirk
Don Hopkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:59 AM   #3
motorrad
Diggin'dirt

Motorcycle:
  WR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hopkirk
I am definitely in for Sunday.

Don Hopkirk
Excellent Don, looking forward to the ride. Will you be bringing the VStrom or KLX? Let's wait to see the interest level before setting a location and time to meet up on Sunday, 9 Dec.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:22 AM   #4
Don Hopkirk
100% Hedonist

Motorcycle:
  07 DL650 V-strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorrad
Excellent Don, looking forward to the ride. Will you be bringing the VStrom or KLX? Let's wait to see the interest level before setting a location and time to meet up on Sunday, 9 Dec.
Bringing the KLX, I will truck it over there to the meeting place. I am going to go see Gail this afternoon I will see if he is still interested in going.

Don Hopkirk
Old 12-01-2007, 08:36 AM   #5
motorrad
Diggin'dirt

Motorcycle:
  WR250R

I thought a map of the Clear Creek OHV area showing the trails may be of interest. These were scanned in from the CCMA BLM 2003 map I picked up last time I visited the area. I'm not sure if this is still the most up to date map, so use at your own risk.

First time I've tried scanning in a map and saving as an image for printing. It is a pretty large map, so I broke it into four sections from west to east showing the main trail areas along with the map legend. I had to reduce the image quality and resize a bit to get them to post within the forum limits.

Map Legend.
Name:  CC-legend.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  96.3 KB

Western portion, showing Coalinga Rd lower left and R001 heading into Oak Flat campground and main entry dirt road. I remember a few water crossings further up, with spill way dips, actually hoping for some light rain before the weekend to keep the dust down.
Name:  CCmap1.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  164.5 KB

Next section, moving west to east. Shows R001 going out the northern portion of the area toward New Idira, junction with R011 heading down to the SE, and fun trails further south around the Four Corners.
Name:  CCmap2.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  169.1 KB

Next section moving east, shows the San Carlos Peak trail at the top (north, T155) off R011, then Santa Benito Peak trail (R012, highest point, been there on my 650GS), riding down to The Saddle area is pretty cool, and by Santa Rita Peak.
Name:  CCmap3.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  170.0 KB

Final section showing the south eastern portion of Clear Creek OHV area. Have not ventured down there yet, of note the Atlas Superfund area is closed to through riding.
Name:  CCmap4.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  155.5 KB

I have the original scanned images that each print to a full 8x11.5 sheet of paper. You can then line up the roads/trails and tape them together to see the bigger picture. If interested, I can e-mail them to you as attachments.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
Don Hopkirk
100% Hedonist

Motorcycle:
  07 DL650 V-strom

Hey Tom, I saw Gail yesterday. He is not sure he will make it to Clear Creek. I am sure he will post up sometime soon. I am still in though.

Don Hopkirk
Old 12-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
motorrad
Diggin'dirt

Motorcycle:
  WR250R

Hi Don,

I updated the narratives to the maps above for accuracy.

I'm thinking a Sunday, 9 Dec meet near the Coalinga Rd and R001 entrance around 10am. Let things warm up a bit in the morning; been pretty cold recently. Take R001 through the canyon, then R011 to T155 and check out San Carlos Peak for view of New Idria over to Fresno and the Sierras. Back track to R011 and try R012 up to San Benito Peak for the view looking north over the wilderness area. From there we have option of R015, and find our way back to Oak Flat on trails, or dip south and work our way through the Salinas Rambler MC trails to Coalinga - Los Gatos Rd (not on map).

The Salinas Ramblers stage area is about 3-5 miles south of the R001 entry into Clear Creek main entrance (Oak Flat). Not sure yet if I'll camp out there Saturday night, will depend on weather conditions and temperatures. If a wet looking weekend, we should reconsider, as the high elevation is about 5,000ft and can snow this time of year. Jim (2on2off) has good comment in my thread #1 ride report link.

Two rider minimum in this territory, better to have 3 or 4.

Stoked to ride, will keep you posted.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #8
motorrad
Diggin'dirt

Motorcycle:
  WR250R

I did a little more research on the terrain and trails in the Clear Creek OHV area. These maps are from the TOPO California CDs and show the route I'm planning for the Sunday, 9 Dec, dual sport ride. There is also a feature that allows you to mark waypoints on these topo maps for entry to a GPS unit. I have a small Garmin etrex Vista with mount for my bikes handlebar. It will be fun to work on this project and try to mark the routes with key waypoints, and then load into the GPS.

The first map is an overview of the area I plan to ride in. You can see the Clear Creek OHV entrance off Coalinga Rd on the left by the Landing Strip, with Idria and San Carlos Peak up at the top, Santa Benito and Santa Rita Peaks toward the right, and the Salinas Ramblers MC area off Coalinga Rd at the bottom.
Name:  CCtopo-a.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  190.7 KB

Here's a close up of R001 heading up through the campgrounds and canyon.
Name:  CCtopo-b.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  155.9 KB

R001 heading up toward the northeast and begins to climb up in elevation.
Name:  CCtopo-c.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  195.7 KB

The turn onto R011 at the top left near the 3748ft elevation marker, following the San Carlos creek toward the southeast and passing by T155 up to San Carlos Peak. You can see the junction of T155 off R011 near the 4516ft marker at the lower right of the map.
Name:  CCtopo-d.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  174.0 KB

R011 continues past San Benito mountain with R013 and R012 climbing to the top by the radio facility. Then backtracking down, there is the choice of continuing on R011 to Santa Rita Peak, or making the right onto T158 following Sawmill Creek toward the southwest.
Name:  CCtopo-e.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  195.6 KB

Another option is to continue southeast on R011 to Santa Rita Peak, taking R015 south and then following it west along the river. Here is where the trail maps posted above and the topo map differ. The trail maps show R015 clearly going through this area. The topo map shows a gap near the mining area. This could prove interesting.
Name:  CCtopo-f.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  198.3 KB

Here you see R015 on the east side (right) of the map, although the topo says it's private. You can also see T158 coming down from the top right corner following Sawmill Creek from the San Benito area.
Name:  CCtopo-g.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  190.5 KB

The road/trail heading south is not on the trail maps above. This is outside the OHV area and leads into the private Salinas Ramblers MC property off Coalinga Rd. I'm pretty sure being registered for the Fun Ride weekend will allow us to access this area if we decide to go this way.
Name:  CCtopo-h.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  195.0 KB

The other option is to take R008 from R015 down at the bottom right by Sawmill Creek, and take R008 all the way northwest back to R001. Some pretty steep sections near the Four Corners by looking at the topo, then it appears to follow a valley to the junction with R001 seen in the top left. Heading west (left) on R001 leads back out to Coalinga Rd.
Name:  CCtopo-i.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  193.9 KB

I'd be very interested in any comments or recommendations regarding this route from those familiar with the Clear Creek OHV and these trails. It is not very long mileage wise, but the trail conditions and elevation changes will keep my pace on the 650GS slower than what could be done on a dirt bike. I'm planning a 5 hour window from 10am to 3pm, and think this should provide enough time, with stops along the way of course.

Another factor will be if all these trails are still open for riding. I know there are some sensitive areas you can not ride through anymore. Appreciate any feedback the veteran Clear Creek riders can lend.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:44 PM   #9
calikatoom

Name: Gail

Motorcycle:
  2005 BMW R1200GS 2004 KTM 450mxc

Hey Tom!

I'm in. I just can't pass this up! I have to go to a Xmas party Sat night but will play it mellow enough to set my alarm for Sunday morning. My friend John also is going to go. We will be riding our GSs from Modesto to Clear Creek from the New Idria side.(Panoche Rd)

I know Clear Creek very well and can take us on a sweet ride if ya like. You really can't go wrong out there.

Meeting on the main Clear Creek Rd. (R001) is a good idea. There is nice staging area a mile in from Coalinga Rd that Don can park in. What time do we want to be trail riding?

Tom, are you riding Saturday and camping? Coming Sunday morning?
Old 12-02-2007, 06:52 PM   #10
Don Hopkirk
100% Hedonist

Motorcycle:
  07 DL650 V-strom

This is going to be fun! Work is going to drag by this week.

Don Hopkirk