Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Adventure Touring & Off-pavement explorations > Generally Speaking: Adventure, Dual & Dirt

Notices

Old 12-05-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
calikatoom

Name: Gail

Motorcycle:
  2005 BMW R1200GS 2004 KTM 450mxc

Cycle Specialties BMW Geo Hunt!

http://pashnit.com/forum/showthread....414#post178414

Hey Gang,

Check the link:

I dropped some really cool geocache prizes to be found by an intrepid off roader!

Have fun!

Gail
Old 12-06-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
FishWitch
~*~Crazy Lady~*~

Name: Sydney

FOLSOM!!! Not the Prison! 175K & counting!

Motorcycle:
  '05 Victory Kingpin

Send a message via AIM to FishWitch Send a message via MSN to FishWitch Send a message via Yahoo to FishWitch
Re: Cycle Specialties BMW Geo Hunt!

Dang It Gail!!! That's no fair making it a DS route. Now you are gonna have to do one for us street types! How fun and a great idea. You had me all excited about where to ride next. Don't think the Vic is up to those roads.

Member of The Victory True American Road Trip Team
FishWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:39 AM   #3
calikatoom

Motorcycle:

Fish!

2 out of the 4 treasures are on the street!!!

Go for it!

Heck it will give you an excuse to ride in my neck of the woods. I might even be tempted to come out and play too! hahaha Of course I won't be able to help show you where "X marks the spot"!

Talk to you soon!

Gail
Old 12-06-2007, 08:01 AM   #4
FishWitch
~*~Crazy Lady~*~

Name: Sydney

FOLSOM!!! Not the Prison! 175K & counting!

Motorcycle:
  '05 Victory Kingpin

Send a message via AIM to FishWitch Send a message via MSN to FishWitch Send a message via Yahoo to FishWitch

AHA I got a hint out of ya!!! Rain Rain Go away!

Member of The Victory True American Road Trip Team
FishWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
2on2off
Go'n some place new......

Name: Jim

Motorcycle:
  KTM 500EXC, Goldwing

Gail: This is a great idea. To add to your idea, maybe we could set up a more permanent situation where people could leave a note inside the tupperware and sign their name, like a guest book, to see how many people actually found the treasure.

If any of you find any of the Geocash's, leave a note with your name or handle and put it back in in the tupperware and leave it there so the next person can find it and add their name to the guestbook.

After signing the guestbook, take a picture of the list of names and post it here.

Maybe we should put some of these out on some of the other trails like Shuteye Peak and Cattle Mountain.

Maybe we should include the address of this web site so if non-pashnit's find it they will know where to post to.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
dstevens58
Official Old Fart

Name: Don

Motorcycle:
  82 SilverWing 500GLI

Send a message via ICQ to dstevens58 Send a message via AIM to dstevens58 Send a message via MSN to dstevens58 Send a message via Yahoo to dstevens58

You can also log the information into Geocache Website and run it like a regular Geocache.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #7
calikatoom

Motorcycle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off
Gail: This is a great idea. To add to your idea, maybe we could set up a more permanent situation where people could leave a note inside the tupperware and sign their name, like a guest book, to see how many people actually found the treasure.

If any of you find any of the Geocash's, leave a note with your name or handle and put it back in in the tupperware and leave it there so the next person can find it and add their name to the guestbook.

After signing the guestbook, take a picture of the list of names and post it here.

Maybe we should put some of these out on some of the other trails like Shuteye Peak and Cattle Mountain.

Maybe we should include the address of this web site so if non-pashnit's find it they will know where to post to.
Hi Jim!

All good ideas. I actually thought of doing some kind of guest log but decided against it for the initial drops. The containers I used are quite small and I didn't exactly put a ton of planning into this day of riding. I just went!

I am putting this on a couple forums plus our shop's website. My biz cards all have my email address and I asked that whomever finds the treasure to send me an email. That way I can post the find at each of the web locations. We should learn alot from this first round of fun. I am curious to see how quicky any of them are found. Ican't wait to see if the response is good and people have fun searching. Will it be the same 10 people playing the game or is it friendly enough that others will catch on?

Anyway, this is definitely a "work in progress"! Thank you both for the great feedback. If this proves to be fun for everyone, then I will try some guest list/digital pic type geocaches. I also have seen some pretty cool ideas for geocaches on other sites. The GPS location gets you to a vicinity, but then you have a verbal list of "pirate clues" or riddles etc to wander around on foot until you find the prize. These will all take some creative thinking and a bit more planning than these initial four. I have also been thinking of hiding a clue at geo#1 that is necessary to find geo#2 and so on. Depending on difficulty, we could do something extra cool for those that find all the locations.

I also hope that others start dropping geocaches too. I'd like to practice finding some also! Your idea of dropping some on other good trails sounds great! Other cool sport touring locations, view points, trail heads would all be great ideas for locationis. Any extra reasons to go riding are just fine with me!

-G
Old 12-07-2007, 10:57 PM   #8
Brent ST

Name: Brent

Motorcycle:
  BMW R1200R, ST1300

Hi Gail

My son and I took a late afternoon ride to search for your cache on Penon Blanco Road (the other one, accessible from a paved road, was too close, almost in my back yard). We have ridden over Marsh Flat Road several times but this is the first time on Penon Blanco. Beautiful views, interesting pavement??? We decided to leave the prize for another visitor. The cache is still in place.

Brent

I seem to have distorted the picture when resizing it.

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/attachm...1&d=1197099864
http://www.pashnit.com/forum/attachm...1&d=1197099864
Attached Images

Brent ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
calikatoom

Motorcycle:

Right On!

Glad to see someone went hunting already! Congrats on finding it. I tried to make it fairly easy! I just wanted to give someone a good excuse to see a great view of Lake McCLure! Penon Blanco is like dirt bike riding on pavement! hahaha Just like Marshes Flat, it is a great diversion from Hwy132 to Hwy 49.

Have fun hunting for more of them! BTW we sell a lot more than just BMW parts. We have the sweetst selection of riding gear, gloves, etc for people that ride other brands too. You earned the coupon, feel free to go back and get it!

Hope to see you at the shop sometime!

Talk to you soon
Gail