Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Adventure Touring & Off-pavement explorations > Generally Speaking: Adventure, Dual & Dirt

Notices

Tours

Old 12-12-2007, 06:59 PM   #1
motorrad
Diggin'dirt

Name: Tom

Motorcycle:
  WR250R

Off-Roader license plate

I thought this post on SBR might be of interest to the dirt riders here on Pashnit. There is a letter signing campaign underway to obtain enough signatures to petition the CA State Legislature for a special Offroader license plate, with the revenue generated going to non-profit group presumably advocating for our OHV and dirt riding rights. Sounds like a good way to participate in getting our voices and voting power heard on the many current issues in keeping off road riding areas open. Only takes a couple seconds to sign the letter.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
Loki
stirring the pot

Name: Jim

Motorcycle:
  Changes weekly

Re: OffRoader license plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorrad View Post
I thought this post on SBR might be of interest to the dirt riders here on Pashnit. There is a letter signing campaign underway to obtain enough signatures to petition the CA State Legislature for a special Offroader license plate, with the revenue generated going to non-profit group presumably advocating for our OHV and dirt riding rights. Sounds like a good way to participate in getting our voices and voting power heard on the many current issues in keeping off road riding areas open. Only takes a couple seconds to sign the letter.

sounds like a great idea. A portion of our motorcycle registration use to be designated for that purpose. Unfortunately, 3 or maybe 4 years ago, the revenue was reallocated to help fund social programs. What is to stop them doing it again.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
RydinDrty

Name: Julie

Motorcycle:
  None at the moment

Send a message via AIM to RydinDrty

I agree with Loki. Sounds like a good idea but what they will actually use with the funds is anyones guess. I do like custom plates tho.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:31 AM   #4
GS-RON

Name: Ron

Motorcycle:
  '08 ZX-14

The "Green Sticker" money pot has been raided so many times it's not funny. What do you think they'll do with YOUR money this time????

Anytime the Government (State or Fed) has your money, rest assured it WON'T be used as intended.

Do a poppa-wheelie

I cried because I could not wheelie, till I met a man with no motorcycle..
GS-RON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
motorrad
Diggin'dirt

Motorcycle:
  WR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerJulie View Post
I agree with Loki. Sounds like a good idea but what they will actually use with the funds is anyones guess. I do like custom plates tho.
Hi Julie,

How are the pups? Still eager to play ball I'm sure, my best to you and Dale.

Jim makes a good point on what exactly may become of the revenue from this proposal. Here is a link to the CA DMV showing some of the existing special CA license plates and the non-profit interest groups they assist. The ones that jump out at me are the Yosemite Foundation (Half Dome), Coastal Commission (Whale Tail), Lake Tahoe Conservancy, and Firefighters. If enough signatures are gathered from Off Road enthusiasts, then one could choose to pay a little extra voluntarily for a specialized plate showing our communities interest, with the funds going to a non-profit foundation who support OHV activity and rights.

Here's the link: http://www.ohvplates.org/.

This is in the preliminary phase to see if enough signatures from those interested in off road riding are out there to move forward. I think they need 7,500 residents to sign the letter. CA Assembly member from the 77th District, Joel Anderson, is willing to introduce this proposal to the State Legislator if enough signatures are provided at the above web site. No money, no commitment to pay, just an expression of interest.

Sounds like a cool idea to me.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
motorrad
Diggin'dirt

Motorcycle:
  WR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS-RON View Post
The "Green Sticker" money pot has been raided so many times it's not funny. What do you think they'll do with YOUR money this time????

Anytime the Government (State or Fed) has your money, rest assured it WON'T be used as intended.
Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!
Oddball: Crazy! I mean like so many positive waves maybe we can't lose! You're on!
Kelly: Well Oddball, what do you think?
Oddball: It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.
Big Joe: Hey look, you just keep them Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.
Oddball: The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to LET THEM SHOOT HOLES IN ME!
Crapgame: Hey, Oddball, this is your hour of glory. And you're chickening out!
Oddball: To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers.
Kelly: Nobody's asking you to be a hero.
Oddball: No? Then YOU sit up in that turret baby.
Kelly: No, because you're gonna be up there, baby, and I'll be right outside showing you which way to go.
Oddball: Yeah?
Kelly: Yeah.
Oddball: Crazy... I mean like, so many positive waves... maybe we can't lose, you're on!

Sorry Ron, could not resist the "Kelly's Heroes" approach.

Here's the link again: http://www.ohvplates.org
Old 12-13-2007, 07:30 PM   #7
DaveG

Name: Dave

Motorcycle:
  '06 Yamaha FZ1, 79 CBX, '04 WR450

Okay, I did mine. Maybe we should spread this around, like the local M/C shops?
1979 CBX
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:25 PM   #8
motorrad
Diggin'dirt

Motorcycle:
  WR250R

GS-RON (Ron) is one of my earliest Pashnit friends, and a most respected one. So when he expressed concern on how OHV funds were being handled in this State, I decided to dig a bit deeper to learn more.

This article kind of sums up the whole green sticker debate for me regarding dirt bikes and the OHV saga. I think this should be required reading for all interested in what has happened regarding CA Off Road riding.

The next is a news article
that explains a recent law change regarding OHV management, green sticker fee, and changes in how OHV money will be spent. Very interesting read, still some controversy.

Information and action is power IMO. I should point out the dirt bike green/red sticker debate is different from the CA specialty license plate info I initially presented here. Definitely related though.

Here's a good link to help: http:/www.ohvplates.org

Proactive T.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:44 PM   #9
Loki
stirring the pot

Name: Jim

Motorcycle:
  Changes weekly

Tom, I signed the petition because I like the idea of having a plate for motorcyclists. Your links only proved my point. $18,000,000 allocated for OHV parks and only $365,000 actually given to the parks. Even with the new senate bill, the OHV parks will only get half of what is rightfully theirs.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:25 AM   #10
RXV_POOR
Kinda new round here

Name: Lee

Motorcycle:
  Aprilia 02 Mille & 07 RXV 550: KTM 06 950 ADV S & 525XC

Re: Off-Roader license plate

Where are you going to mount the plates?
RXV_POOR is offline   Reply With Quote