Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Adventure Touring & Off-pavement explorations > Generally Speaking: Adventure, Dual & Dirt

Notices

Tours

Old 04-30-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Loki
stirring the pot

Name: Jim

Motorcycle:
  Changes weekly

Clear Creek Closed

I was on the SBR forum and found this thread regarding the closure of Clear Creek. I can't believe it.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
Eryx

Name: Eric

Motorcycle:
  K2 Chtrom, 07 99ty A

Re: Clear Creek Closed

That is really too bad. I was looking forward to going there.
Eryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
2on2off
Go'n some place new......

Motorcycle:
  KTM 500EXC, Goldwing

I read through all the posts and the EPA releasesa and couldn't find anything that actually states that Clear Creek is now closed. There is supposed to be a meeting in May at the Santa Clara Convention Center to discuss the EPA's findings on the air born asbestos at Clear Creek.

There was a closure order for Kettlemen Hills over a year ago but I can't find a similiar order for Clear Creek. I'll have to call the BLM Office in Hollister to verify if it is open or closed.

The EPA, with the support of The Sierra Club, California Senators Boxer and Feinstein, former President Clinton and others, have suceeded in closing off millions of acres of off roading areas, trails and roads in California for the past 30 years and have shrunk the areas, where off road riding is permitted, to such a small area, that these remaining areas will eventually be closed as well because when you force all the off roading activities into such a small area, the impact is too great.

I can't remember any new areas being opened up to off road riding in 30 years as the number of people involved with off roading has increased. This puts more and more people into smaller and smaller areas which isn't good for anyone.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
Tyler

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle:
  2009 Can Am Spyder

In case anyone is interested, lots of contact info here.

Also, there is a public meeting on May 8th. I think it would be great if there was a showing of riders to speak for the riders view.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) began conducting a study in 2004 on asbestos exposures experienced by CCMA users during typical recreational activities. The study was conducted to provide BLM with information to manage and minimize human health risks at the CCMA and to update a similar study conducted by the BLM in 1992.

On May 1, 2008 the EPA released the report, “CCMA Asbestos Exposure and Human Health Risk Assessment.” The report stated the exposures measured by EPA for many recreational activities at CCMA are “above the EPA acceptable risk range of lifetime cancers.” It also notes that children “have greater risk than adults due to higher exposure measurements [and] are of special concern because their exposures occur earlier in their lives.

Based on the findings in the report, BLM simultaneously enacted an immediate temporary closure on May 1, 2008 of 31,000 acres of the area to all public access/entry upon release of the EPA report while a Resource Management Plan (RMP) to determine the long-term management of the area is underway. The BLM’s number one priority is to protect the public’s health and safety.

Over the next two years, BLM will be preparing a Resource Management Plan and Environmental Impact Statement to guide the long-term management of public lands within the CCMA. EPA and BLM will host a public meeting to discuss the results of the EPA Human Health Risk Assessment and BLM will discuss the need for the temporary emergency closure on May 8, 2008.

The Fee Program has been suspended and partial refunds will be issued to all persons who purchased a Season Pass.

Public Meetings

May 8, Santa Clara Convention Center, 5001 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, EPA and BLM, open house from 3:00 – 5:00 pm, meeting from 6:00 – 9:00 pm

May 19, Veteran’s Memorial Hall, 649 San Benito St., Hollister, 6:00 – 8:00 pm

May 21, Martin Luther King Jr. Library Room 225, 150 E. San Fernando St., San Jose, 6:00 – 8:00 pm

For More Information

Contact the Hollister Field Office at (831) 630-5000 or visit our website at http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/holli...ment_area.html

Dangerous Curves
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
Eryx

Name: Eric

Motorcycle:
  K2 Chtrom, 07 99ty A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Contact the Hollister Field Office at (831) 630-5000 or visit our website at http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/holli...ment_area.html
Thanks, Tyler. Here is a fixed link to the BLM Clear Creek page, where you can find among other things the EPA exposure report.

If I read this correctly, a 1 day use motorcycle rider that visits the place 5 times per year for 30 years is close to or above what is considered an excessive risk (1 in 10,000) of getting a cancer.
~oS`o
Eric
Eryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
exwingnut

Name: .

Motorcycle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryx View Post
Here is a fixed link to the BLM Clear Creek page, where you can find among other things the EPA exposure report.

Pretty damning report...I wouldn't want to ride there. Asbestosis is a lousy way to die and the figures given are far, FAR over what the exposure levels for industry are.

I hope that they can find another place for y'all to ride.
exwingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #7
the mad otter
I love the CHP!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle:
  R1200GS, S1000RR

I know my logic is somtimes skewed...probably due to some sort of birth defect, but how would it seem to everyone if the responsible parties for the Atlas Asbestos Mine were called upon to purchase/donate alternative clean land for recreational activities since it is their f**k up that created the mess in the first place? Here is a list of the so-called "responsible parties":

ATLAS CORPORATION 310 17TH STREET , SUITE 3050, DENVER, CO 80202
BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT CALIFORNIA STATE OFFICE, 2800 COTTAGE WAY, SACRAMENTO, CA 95825
CATELLUS DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
CITY OF COALINGA/CA CITY HALL - 6TH ST. AND ELM ST., COALINGA, CA 93210
DAVID NOYES 7-04 717 17TH STREET, DENVER, CO 80202
EARL CHAMBERS 5143 SUNSET BLVD, LOS ANGELES, CA 90027
IRVING MOORE 2300 DICKERSON RD, RENO, NV 89501
LEE QUICK 1175 WEST ELM AVE, COALINGA, CA 93210
LOWELL BAKER 1508 COALINGA AVE, COALINGA, CA 93210
MARMAC RESOURCES 5143 SUNSET BLVD, LOS ANGELES, CA 90027
PINE CANYON LAND COMPANY
RICHARD TISCH 39 OLD RIDGEBURY RD, DANBURY, CT 06817
ROBERT HAMPTON P.O. BOX 104, TAFT, CA 93268
SANTA FE PACIFIC CORPORATION
SOUTHERN PACIFIC TRANSPORTATION COMPANY 808 TRAVIS, STE 620, HOUSTON, TX 77002
VINNELL MINING AND MINERALS CORPORATION 12150 E. MONUMENT DRIVE, SUITE 800, FAIRFAX, VA 220334053
WESTSIDE TRUCKING CO. 1508 COALINGA AVE., COALINGA, CA 93210
WHEELER PROPERTIES 2300 DICKERSON RD., RENO, NV 89501
Old 05-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
Oddball_One
Senior Technofile

Name: Matt

Motorcycle:
  05 BMW R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mad otter View Post
I know my logic is somtimes skewed...probably due to some sort of birth defect, but how would it seem to everyone if the responsible parties for the Atlas Asbestos Mine were called upon to purchase/donate alternative clean land for recreational activities since it is their f**k up that created the mess in the first place? Here is a list of the so-called "responsible parties":

ATLAS CORPORATION 310 17TH STREET , SUITE 3050, DENVER, CO 80202
BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT CALIFORNIA STATE OFFICE, 2800 COTTAGE WAY, SACRAMENTO, CA 95825
CATELLUS DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
CITY OF COALINGA/CA CITY HALL - 6TH ST. AND ELM ST., COALINGA, CA 93210
DAVID NOYES 7-04 717 17TH STREET, DENVER, CO 80202
EARL CHAMBERS 5143 SUNSET BLVD, LOS ANGELES, CA 90027
IRVING MOORE 2300 DICKERSON RD, RENO, NV 89501
LEE QUICK 1175 WEST ELM AVE, COALINGA, CA 93210
LOWELL BAKER 1508 COALINGA AVE, COALINGA, CA 93210
MARMAC RESOURCES 5143 SUNSET BLVD, LOS ANGELES, CA 90027
PINE CANYON LAND COMPANY
RICHARD TISCH 39 OLD RIDGEBURY RD, DANBURY, CT 06817
ROBERT HAMPTON P.O. BOX 104, TAFT, CA 93268
SANTA FE PACIFIC CORPORATION
SOUTHERN PACIFIC TRANSPORTATION COMPANY 808 TRAVIS, STE 620, HOUSTON, TX 77002
VINNELL MINING AND MINERALS CORPORATION 12150 E. MONUMENT DRIVE, SUITE 800, FAIRFAX, VA 220334053
WESTSIDE TRUCKING CO. 1508 COALINGA AVE., COALINGA, CA 93210
WHEELER PROPERTIES 2300 DICKERSON RD., RENO, NV 89501
+1

Here in Chico a company was forced to clean up a pollution problem caused 20 years ago, why is the case here any different? The EPA report seems to be a handy way to close another OHV area. Yes, I know Asbestos is very nasty stuff and I would never willingly chose to expose my family to it
Old 05-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #9
Loki
stirring the pot

Motorcycle:
  Changes weekly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
I read through all the posts and the EPA releasesa and couldn't find anything that actually states that Clear Creek is now closed. There is supposed to be a meeting in May at the Santa Clara Convention Center to discuss the EPA's findings on the air born asbestos at Clear Creek.

There was a closure order for Kettlemen Hills over a year ago but I can't find a similiar order for Clear Creek. I'll have to call the BLM Office in Hollister to verify if it is open or closed.
Here is a press release from BLM stating Clear Creek is temporarily closed starting on May 1.

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIORBUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT
California

Print Page
News Release
For Release: May 1, 2008
Contact: David Christy (916) 985-4474 and John Dearing (916) 978-4622
CA-CC-08-54

BLM Issues Immediate Temporary Closure of Clear Creek Management Area
To protect public health and safety from exposure to asbestos, the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) today issued an immediate temporary closure of 31,000 acres of public lands in Clear Creek Management Area (CCMA) in southern San Benito and western Fresno counties to all public use.

BLM's action is in response to a human health risk assessment released today by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) that concludes the exposures measured by EPA for many recreational activities at CCMA are "above the EPA acceptable risk range of lifetime cancers." It also notes that children "have greater risk than adults due to higher exposure measurements [and] are of special concern because their exposures occur earlier in their lives." This risk impacts recreational off-highway vehicle use, and extends to other forms of public recreation use/access in CCMA, according to the assessment.

Rick Cooper, BLM's Hollister field manager stated, "Protecting the public's health and safety is BLM’s number one priority. Based on EPA's results, we believe a temporary closure of most of the CCMA is in the public interest and we ask for the public’s cooperation. With the closure in place, we will immediately move on with developing a long-term resource management plan (RMP) for the area with the public’s full involvement."

BLM will continue public scoping started last year for the RMP through June 21, 2008. BLM has also scheduled two public workshops (May 19 in Hollister and May 21 in San Jose) to discuss the planning process to be held locally and in the South Bay. BLM is also hosting an informational meeting May 8 at the Convention Center in Santa Clara for EPA representatives to present assessment findings with the public. Separate announcements on these meetings have been issued.

BLM manages 63,000 acres of public lands within the CCMA, which covers 75,000 acres. The area has been used extensively for OHV recreation for many years as well as hunting and rock hounding. The CCMA also encompasses the Serpentine Area of Critical Environmental Concern, the San Benito Mountain Research Natural Area, and the Pajaro, Arroyo Pasajaro and Silver Creek watersheds.

The BLM will work closely with interested parties to develop management actions best suited to the resources and the needs of the public, Cooper emphasized. This collaborative process will take into account local, regional, and national concerns. Early participation by all interested parties is encouraged and will help guide the planning process and determine the future management of public lands.

The EPA assessment is available online at www.epa.gov/region09/toxic/noa/clearcreek and BLM’s closure order is posted at www.ca.blm.gov/hollister . The closure is pursuant to 43 Code of Federal Regulations 43 CFR 8364.1, which specifies penalties for violation of the order. For further information contact the BLM in Hollister by phone (831-630-5000) or e-mail, ca190@ca.blm.gov.

-BLM-

Last updated: 04-30-2008

USA.GOV | No Fear Act | DOI | Disclaimer | About BLM | Notices | Get Adobe Reader®
Privacy Policy | FOIA | Kids Policy | Contact Us | Accessibility | Site Map | Home
Old 05-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
exwingnut

Name: .

Motorcycle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mad otter View Post
I know my logic is somtimes skewed...probably due to some sort of birth defect, but how would it seem to everyone if the responsible parties for the Atlas Asbestos Mine were called upon to purchase/donate alternative clean land for recreational activities since it is their f**k up that created the mess in the first place? Here is a list of the so-called "responsible parties"
Hmmmm, it isn't the mine that is the problem, it is the rock in the ground all around it; the dust created by natural and unnatural erosion is asbestos containing and breathing that dust is a hazard; riding in that area is dangerous regardless of what anyone did/does/will do there.

Why should these people buy us anything?
exwingnut is offline   Reply With Quote