Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Adventure Touring & Off-pavement explorations > Generally Speaking: Adventure, Dual & Dirt

Notices

Motoroads

Old 05-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
kdsmgb

Name: Ken

Motorcycle:
  '05 DL1000; '84 VF1100S;'79 DR370

Alternate to Indians Road?

I'm trying to ride to Gamboa Camp ground this Sunday in the Ventana Wilderness to help clear fallen logs. Looks like Indian Road would get me there but it shows closed due to winter damage. Does anyone know of a way other than Naciemento that will get me to the campground from the Carmel Valley Road area? I'm on a DL1000 Vstrom with Avon Distanzas and don't mind rocks/ruts/sand/dirt/(and when in season)mud/snow. Thanks!
kdsmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
motorrad
Diggin'dirt

Name: Tom

Motorcycle:
  WR250R

Re: Alternate to Indians Road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdsmgb View Post
I'm trying to ride to Gamboa Camp ground this Sunday in the Ventana Wilderness to help clear fallen logs. Looks like Indian Road would get me there but it shows closed due to winter damage. Does anyone know of a way other than Naciemento that will get me to the campground from the Carmel Valley Road area? I'm on a DL1000 Vstrom with Avon Distanzas and don't mind rocks/ruts/sand/dirt/(and when in season)mud/snow. Thanks!
Hi Ken, sorry for the late response. Indians Road is closed to all motor vehicle traffic between the Arroyo Seco campground and Ft Hunter-Liggett to the south. I talked with a Forest Ranger a few weeks ago and asked if they ever planned to repair the slide and reopen it. He said no, it will remain closed, although open to hikers and mountain bicycles. Very scenic, and I have ridden my mountain bike on it a couple years ago. The slide half way in is huge, and we had to carry out bikes over boulders for about 30 feet. No other dirt options I know between Carmel Valley Rd and Nacimiento Rd. I heard of single track route from end of Palo Colorado Rd, but these are unmarked, steep, with brush and rocky, only for experienced expert dirt bike rider to connect. Nothing a big dual sport could attempt.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
kdsmgb

Name: Ken

Motorcycle:
  '05 DL1000; '84 VF1100S;'79 DR370

Re: Alternate to Indians Road?

Thx Motorrad, confirms what I'd read, though I was hoing for some little unknown access, like the Palo one you mention. I hike up there a bit and will need to look for that. Indians sounds like a good mtn bike exploration trip. Will need to do that too! And the slide sounds like more than a bunch of volunteers could handle. But maybe if we clear one rock with each visit...;-) For the loggign run I just ended up taking the usual commute, the boring route down hwy1 and over Nac. Yawn ;-)-Ken
kdsmgb is offline   Reply With Quote