Notices

Motoroads

Old 06-17-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
2hip

Name: alan

Motorcycle:
  fyr or hayabusa

Cycleport/Motoport Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket

Heh Guys and Gals, don't you just hate it when you are all dressed up and there is nowhere to go. Excuse me for my excitement...but I just got my new Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket. It is more than I expected...and how often does the hype of a product disappoint??? This jacket fits me perfectly, armoured up the yang, pockets galore that are big and the material looks to be bulletproof. I called Wayne at Cycleport/Motoport and thanked him profusely for making such fantastic garments. I think all of our hides are worth the extra money put out on such products. Call Wayne at 800-777-6499..

In the literature it states that the best grade competition leather will tear at 80-110 pounds of force...Which is quite good compared to really good Cordura like 500 denier which will tear at 22 pounds of force (which means your hide is now on the pavement grinding away)...but get this point...and it is exactly the point Wayne deadpans in his monotone...Air Mesh Kevlar doesn't tear until 1260 pounds of force...the math is pretty basic...roughly that Air Mesh Kevlar is over 11-15 times more tear resistant than your best competition leather...and over 57 times more tear resistant than your typical jackets like Icon, Joe Rocket, etc that have 500 denier Cordura. Man, some of those jackets you see in Cycle Gear and motorcycle dealerships are very nice looking and styling is way cool...but I totally understand why the Ultra II Air Mesh kevlar jacket is designed the way it is...because function dictates the design necessary to protect our sorry hides in a wreck.

Now if I could just get my new hayabusa out of the modification shop to try out my new gear!!!

Cycleport gear is not cheap. But I can tell you after working in hospitals for over 30 years and seeing what happens to people who slide along pavement the investment in your hide is worth it. Not only are road rashes painfull as hell...they are difficult to treat due to deep tissue damage, post wreck infections, debreadment (removing the non-living tissue surgically), and the distinct possibility of the skin disappearing and now you are down to muscle...yikes!!! So, once I had my hands on the Kevlar jacket and felt the weight, looked at the brawny stitching and heavy zippers, the perforated Quad armour padding...you can see that Wayne has alot of money of his own invested in each article of clothing...I can only say that I have never seen a garment like this in my life..it is out of this world quality and I do not believe that there is a manufacturer out there who comes even close to it...'on my mother's eyes'...pony up, and get your Kevlar from Motoport before you even think about how to make our already supersonic bike even faster (and deadlier)...you never know when the fickle finger of fate will point your way...the jacket is beautiful thing...respectfully, 2hip
2hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
FJRME
BUY MY BIKE...AGAIN!

Name: BOB

Motorcycle:
  DRZ

Re: Cycleport/Motoport Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket

I love my Ultra Mesh. Do you have the pants also? If not get them. The versatility of being able to wear ANYTHING underneath, and then take them off when you get there have been very valuable to me. And as far as expense, if you weigh the fact that this gear is great for summer, and with a liner or heated something, the perfect winter gear, it's less money than buying leathers for winter, and some sort of "ballistic" something or other for summer. I NEVER ride without my kevlar. YOu'll notice that the coat seems heavy when you're holding it. The weight disappears once you have it on and are riding. After your armor molds to your body a bit, take a sharpie and mark left, right, up, down etc on it, so when you take it out to wash the jacket, you can put them back in the same place. Wash the jacket a few times. It will soften up a little, not be so stiff. Three years now for mine, and I bet it still looks as good as yours. This stuff really holds up well.

ATGATT
Ride safe
FJRME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
2hip

Name: alan

Motorcycle:
  fyr or hayabusa

Bob, thanks for the post and advice on the jacket. i am very satisfied with the money versus quality...now if I could just get my bike...boo hoo!!! See you are riding a FJR...great great bike...I spent a week of no sleep trying to make a choice between the Hayabusa and the FJR....but I can say you chose well. I am hoping to get my bike modified enough that it is as comfortable as the FJR...you will laugh at me for being such a scaredy cat...but my kevlar pants are here yet and Wayne told me it will take 4-6 weeks yet to get them. I told him I was afraid to ride without protection on the lower body. I asked him what do I have to do to get them early...Only money!!! So I coughed up a little extra money and said it was worth my peace of mind....if my wife sees how much I spent on these Kevlars I will need to put them on before she attacks....ha ha ha ...2hip
2hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
Tomcat101147
Up on 3 wheels

Name: Lyn

Motorcycle:
  V-Star 1100 w/ Hannigan Classic Sidecar

There's only one minor problem with Motoport gear. It's way pricey! It's out of my range entirely budget wise. We do what we must as we are able. My gear is Fieldsheer, Tourmaster and I have one pair of First Gear trousers. It's not Motoport but it's way better than a tee shirt and jeans. I figure that my chances of being punted off the road by a cager are much higher than flipping or nose diving the car. In that scenario gear won't help much although it will help.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
Scarman
Not all pain is gain.

Name: Dave

Motorcycle:
  FJR-1300

I'm going down there in a few weeks to check out their gear. I'm tired of wearing riding pants that just don't exactly like they should. If I really like what they have to offer, I'll pony up and tell my wallet to grin and bare it.

I appreciate all the MotoPort comments that have been posted up recently.
Scarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #6
cyclist63
late cruiser

Name: Steve

Motorcycle:
  HD Sportster, V-Strom DL650

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRME View Post
After your armor molds to your body a bit, take a sharpie and mark left, right, up, down etc on it, so when you take it out to wash the jacket, you can put them back in the same place. Wash the jacket a few times. It will soften up a little, not be so stiff.
Unless things have changed in the past few years, you are supposed to leave the armor in while washing. That's just another one of the great things about Motoport gear. Just throw the whole jacket with the armor in place in the washer. That is what my instruction sheet from Motoport says and that is what I have done quite a few times. The jacket still looks new and fits great after 3 years. I have the Ultra II Kevlar mesh jacket and pants.
cyclist63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
ninja_o
I am done learning ...

Name: S...

Motorcycle:
  Concours 14

ok after all the good stuff you said I can only presume that you forgot to post a pic of you in the jacket..!
ninja_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
testrider

Name: Mike

Motorcycle:
  Honda CBR1100XX and Suzuki DR-350

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hip View Post
In the literature it states that the best grade competition leather will tear at 80-110 pounds of force...Which is quite good compared to really good Cordura like 500 denier which will tear at 22 pounds of force (which means your hide is now on the pavement grinding away)...but get this point...and it is exactly the point Wayne deadpans in his monotone...Air Mesh Kevlar doesn't tear until 1260 pounds of force...the math is pretty basic...roughly that Air Mesh Kevlar is over 11-15 times more tear resistant than your best competition leather...
This is an honest question: why no competitive racer wears this type of mesh kevlar in hot weather if it's really 11-15 times better than their leather suit?
testrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:06 PM   #9
FJRME
BUY MY BIKE...AGAIN!

Motorcycle:
  DRZ

Steve, I take my armor out because it fits nicer in my washer, more like regular clothes, so it won't tear up my agitator. There's a caution in there somewhere about that also I think, or maybe Wayne just told me one time. He actually suggested the laundomat so you don't tear up your own washer. I have never had a problem. As for washing the armor, I handwash it, it comes out fine.
After my recent mishap, I have a tear in the reflective stripe down the left leg. Something on the exploded front bumper of the car that almost hit me cut it. I sent the pants to Wayne today for a replacement stripe. I also sent all my armor. I'm upgrading to the new quad armor. Hopefully, I wont' ever find out if I'm wasting my money or not.

ATGATT
Ride safe
Old 06-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #10
FJRME
BUY MY BIKE...AGAIN!

Motorcycle:
  DRZ

I also wonder about why more racers don't wear it. Marketing? I'm sure the fit can be made to be about as good, so wind resistence would be about the same. Not with my mesh stuff, but with the stretch. Maybe Wayne should start a sponsor program or something.

ATGATT
Ride safe