Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > General Forums > Becoming A Better Rider- A place for the New Rider

Notices

Motoroads

Old 07-15-2008, 02:04 PM   #41
Prushn

Name: Tim

Motorcycle:
  2007 Suzuki DL650

Re: Well I did it!

Thanks guys I appreciate the support a lot. I'll definitely take it easy. Even though riding the bike is fun it is something pretty alien to me still. Note taken on using the brake in turns, thanks!

Deut 31:6
Prushn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:06 AM   #42
Law Dawg (ret)
Unashamed Christian Rider

Name: Mark

Motorcycle:
  Yes

Re: ok riding is a blast!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prushn View Post
My hands got tired quick though:
Lesson #1...let up on the Gung Foo death grip, your bike will not bolt from under you and your hands will thank you. Think smooooooooth with a light touch.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:32 AM   #43
EyeOnTheSky

Name: Dave

Motorcycle:
  I Want A FJR1300.

Quote:
Note taken on using the brake in turns, thanks!
I've heard the argument that one should always use both brakes, but I find that using the rear brake only when slow (parking lot speed or less) gives more control and less "jerkiness", as happens when the front brake grabs. Of course, when faster and needing to slow down, using both brakes is ideal, since the front brake provides 80% of the stopping power.
EyeOnTheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:51 AM   #44
RoxxieRae
Cuddly Hooligan

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle:
  Suzuki SV1000S

Re: ok riding is a blast!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
Lesson #1...let up on the Gung Foo death grip, your bike will not bolt from under you and your hands will thank you. Think smooooooooth with a light touch.
hee hee, i remember the first ride i went on during which i was finally able to relax and didn't white-knuckle it for seven hours straight. What a difference, my hands didn't hurt at all!!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:27 AM   #45
Nirvana
Motorcycle Meditation

Name: Shshank

Motorcycle:
  Ducati Monster 620, Royal Enfield Bullet 350

My white-knuckling was on a we'll-say-borrowed-without-permission-because-stolen-is-a-big-word 50cc moped that belonged to my uncle. Up and down the street, I couldn't get enough of the fact that 2 wheel mobility could be so much fun.
Yes, that was my first time, I think I was 14 then, something like that.
Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #46
Prushn

Motorcycle:
  2007 Suzuki DL650

I have to admit that I have had a very tight grip on the bike and your right, its causing my hands to ache like crazy! I'll have to start reminding myself to relax a bit more. I'll give the suggestions about braking a serious try, I know your all right on that. I'm playing with the idea of riding it to work in the morning pretty seriously

Old 07-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #47
Tomcat101147
Up on 3 wheels

Name: Lyn

Motorcycle:
  V-Star 1100 w/ Hannigan Classic Sidecar

Quote:
I'm playing with the idea of riding it to work in the morning pretty seriously
I have no idea what rush hour traffic is like in your area or if there even is a rush hour but metropolitan areas at rush hour isn't the place to start your learning experiences in traffic. You might want to get in some more hours of practice at least until you get over the fear that is causing your hands to clench.

There are some interesting ergonomics involved here. When you clench your hands you tighten up the muscles in your hands, arms and shoulders. This, in turn, tightens up your upper body making it less flexible. Tight muscles have less movement available and longer reaction time is needed to move your arms and upper body. Since a solo bike is mostly guided by the rider's body motion to allow changing the pivot point/CG balance of the bike then a tense rider is less likely to have as much ease of control as one who is relaxed and confident in their motions.

Gain a little more confidence in yourself, your control and centering yourself, both mentally and physically, before you go play in traffic.

Don't drive rush hour traffic in Dallas, Texas either even after you gain more confidence. I've done as much as I could without adding flashing lights to my rig to help visibility. My gear is a flashy red and black with reflective white panels. I had to cross town today in evening rush hour traffic. Mostly I maintained good following distance between me and the vehicles in front and behind. So who cuts me off? An SUV crossing 4 lanes in a diagonal line from right to left with about 2 feet between my front wheel and his trailer hitch at 65mph. I locked up all three briefly. This is not the recommended method of having fun in a sidecar rig or on a bike. Another reason for ATGATT.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:59 AM   #48
Prushn

Motorcycle:
  2007 Suzuki DL650

I think driving in traffic like either on a bike or in a car would give me nothing but ulcers Lyn, your a braver man than I! The good thing about where I live here is that its a small city of about 20,000 pop. A fairly busy two lane highway going north into town. But the good thing about here is I can go into town the back way down a fairly quiet two lane country road and then after that its just two lane city streets to the PD. You may be right though and I shouldn't be in such a rush to get out there.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:09 AM   #49
Deb954&750

Name: Deb

Motorcycle:
  2003 Honda RC 51 & 2

Clapping2 Re: Well I did it!

Beautiful Bike Tim! CONGRATS! Good for you, I think you will do just fine and have lots of fun while making lots of great memories!

Where there is a will, there is a way!
Deb954&750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:27 AM   #50
Prushn

Motorcycle:
  2007 Suzuki DL650

Thanks so much Deb! I'm having a blast learning to ride and also getting to know the people on this forum. Both things are becoming my favorite thing to do. Have a great weekend Deb and stay safe out there!