CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > General Forums > General

Notices

Old 08-01-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
haroldo_psf

Name: Harold

Motorcycle:
  08 Kawasaki C14 ABS

I just can't let it go. Tire pressure question. Please help!!!

Since I got my new C14 a month and a half ago, I developed a new OCD type obsession. Because the bike has tire pressure sensors, I'm always aware of the PSI on the tires. This can be good for somebody that's right in the head, but I'm not. I have a problem. When I'm riding, everything needs to be right:

- The armor on my pants has to be exactly centered on my knee
- my ass has to be exactly centered and touching the back of the seat
- the leather in my gloves cannot ever be folded or crunched up between my hands and the grips
- the tire pressure has to be reading at least 40psi
- both tires have to change readings at the same time, as tire warms up

the list goes on and on... You may ask:"How do you think about the riding itself and avoid crashing?" I don't know...When all the items on my OCD list are correct I guess...

My question is, the OEM says the tires have to be a certain pressure when cold. In my case 42psi. What do the mean by COLD???? Do they mean summer 6 o'clock in the morning cold? Do they mean winter 40 degrees cold? Do they mean bike parked for a few hours in the summer sun cold? What do they F_ING mean??? I'd love to cross this item from my OCD list...

If I fill the tires "cold" at noon, they will be a couple of PSI down next day at 6am. If I fill them at 6am, they will be a couple of PSI over at noon, even if the bike is parked for hours in the morning. I know that a underinflated tire has more grip but heats up more, which can lead to tire failure at freeway speeds. Also, an overinflated tire has a smaller contact patch.

This week alone I've stopped at gas stations to "dial in" my tire pressure maybe 5 times. I bought different tire pressure gauges to double check my tire pressure sensor on the bike. I'm going crazy.

Anyone has some light to shed on what OEMs mean by "cold" ????
haroldo_psf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
calikatoom

Name: Gail

Motorcycle:
  2005 BMW R1200GS 2004 KTM 450mxc

Re: I just can't let it go. Tire pressure question. Please help!!!

Harold,

Trie pressure is important, but I think you are over thinking things a bit.

Cold simply means unridden. As you ride, the tires build friction and heat which in turn increases your tire pressure.

If you are checking and tweaking tire pressure 5 times a day, you will indeed go crazy.

Relax.
Enjoy the bike.
Give it a good preride inspection.

Then give 100% of your attention to the ride. You are creating a more dangerous scenario by using a bunch of energy and focus on your tire pressure instead of riding the bike. Tire pressures fluctuate and you an ride safely plus or minus 5 pounds from the manufacturers specs.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
jonkull

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle:
  '73 Triumph

It's kind of funny...I have a little OCD in me. My wife and our friends compare me to the TV character Monk. So I can relate. Strangely the only thing I don't seem to have any OCD obsessions about is my motorcycle. I'm really quite lazy (for lack of a better word) where that's concerned. Anyway...

To me cold has always meant bike's been parked overnight and sitting in my garage...hasn't been run yet and tires haven't warmed up. Though I may be wrong here and I'm sure someone smarter than me will probably answer your question better.

To be honest the PSI (as you've noticed) will change during the course of the day depending on how long you've been riding (tire friction on warm pavement) and outside temperature. If you keep stopping to 'dial in' your pressure you're not going to get any riding done. Maybe you could just check it once in the morning and let it go until the next morning.
jonkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
fook
squirrels hate me

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle:
  R1200RT

our new car's tire pressure monitor has my wife constantly telling me the front right is 2psi lower than the other 3... my eye starts to twitch when people mention psi now

i dont think i really have an answer for you though... just that i always assumed "cold" was just a generic term for non running since its a consistent base # to use for what the tires pressure is at as that changes as the tires "warm up" with use.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
haroldo_psf

Motorcycle:
  08 Kawasaki C14 ABS

Thanks Gail. I know I'm overthinking...But that's just what I do!
I understand what makes a tire heat up.
However, an unriden bike on a hot summer day (90 F) can differ as much as 4 PSI from an unriden bike on a California winter day (55 F).
Now, 4 PSI off is a considerable tire pressure difference, not only of detail freaks like me, but for any rider....
Still the question remains, what do OEMs mean by "cold"? I wonder if there is actually a spec that says "such tire should be filled at such PSI at such temperature"...or even a temperature vs PSI table or something... Maybe I should try calling my tire OEM (Bridgestone) instead of bothering yor guys with this... Thanks anyway...
Old 08-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
jonkull

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle:
  '73 Triumph

That's a thought. If you get through to a human that can actually answer your question post it here. I'm curious about this as well now.
jonkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
FJRME
BUY MY BIKE...AGAIN!

Name: BOB

Motorcycle:
  DRZ

I check and adjust pressures the night before, as I'm going over the bike. If I'm commuting, I don't check every night, but maybe every other. That's cold to me, and I live in socal desert. I don't readjust on a ride unless I'm having an issue, which I usually don't. You probably don't really want to know what the tire mfg means by cold. What if you DO get an answer? 40lbs at 70 degrees. Then what if it's 73 degrees at your house?
What if the wind is blowing? Does cold take wind chill into account?lol Keep track of what you set it at, ride it and see how you like it. Adjust accordingly. Use the same (good) gauge every time for consistency. And then just ride it.

ATGATT
Ride safe
FJRME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
haroldo_psf

Motorcycle:
  08 Kawasaki C14 ABS

That's a pretty good point. Now that you mention it, I guess knowing the temperature spec would just contribute to the OCD list, instead of shrinking it.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
Shakey
Ride Safe and Often

Name: Steve

Motorcycle:
  Moto Guzzi California EV, Triumph Street Triple

With all the worrying when do you ever find time to ride? Check you tires before taking her out... once. Tire pressure rating like anything else have a built in range of acceptable pressure. If they say 42, 36 isn't foing to destroy them. My Dunlops say 40psi. I run 36 up front and 39 in the rear. That was recommended by the dealer when I purchased the bike. The only time I'd ever run close to max pressure is when riding two up and loaded for a trip and then only in the rear tire. Relax and enjoy it.
Shakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:21 PM   #10
GS-RON

Name: Ron

Motorcycle:
  '08 ZX-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldo_psf View Post
- The armor on my pants has to be exactly centered on my knee
- my ass has to be exactly centered and touching the back of the seat
- the leather in my gloves cannot ever be folded or crunched up between my hands and the grips
- the tire pressure has to be reading at least 40psi
- both tires have to change readings at the same time, as tire warms up
Good thing Kawawalski took care of the key for you........................

Just messin with ya.... What Gail said

Do a poppa-wheelie

I cried because I could not wheelie, till I met a man with no motorcycle..
GS-RON is offline   Reply With Quote