CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > General Forums > General

Notices

Old 08-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
haroldo_psf

Name: Harold

Motorcycle:
  08 Kawasaki C14 ABS

"I Dropped my new bike" club. Join for free! Feel better about your mishap!

This is the thread for those of us that thought we knew how to ride our new bikes until we tried to part it!
I bought my new Concours 14 in the first week of June this year. Three weeks later, I was baking out of my garage, tip toeing, as she's tall... One thing led to another, and down she went. My heart broke, I didn't even want to go to work... The damage was very minimal, and a week later I was feeling better, and did not care about it...
Yesterday I went for a ride on a twisty road (La Honda road, off Skyline and Alice's in California...). It was sunny, but it was early morning. I am a very cautious rider, and ride usually slower than other rider friends by choice. Exiting a wet banked blind turn on La Honda, there was an accident. The cops and tow truck were all there. I did everything right. I straightened out the bike immediately, and applied the brakes on a very controlled fashion, and stopped safely. Then I put my right foot down. The right foot...Why did I not realize it was a banked turn, and the right side was the downhill side? It was too much leaning with my downhill foot down, and down she went, AGAIN! Now there are minor scratches on the right side as well as on the left, so at least I feel more "centered" and "balanced"!
I'm starting the "I dropped my new bike" club so members can help each other during the painful process of breaking the ice and putting the first scratches on their new baby. This time around it didn't even phase me. I picked her up with my buddy's help, and we continued the ride. Even though I dropped it after I came to a complete safe stop and avoided a much worse outcome, I actually felt proud of my safe riding! If I only had put the left foot down....
haroldo_psf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
masameet

Name: Yvonne

Motorcycle:
  DRZ400SM & SV650

Re: "I Dropped my new bike" club. Join for free! Feel better about your mishap!

Last week a rider (possibly deaf) on a silver Concours 14 in Concord showed me what a nifty and fast bike the Concours is. I turned right off of Detroit Ave. to Monument Blvd. and watched in my left mirror as he turned right several seconds behind me. As I turned my head to my right mirror, he'd already zoomed past me. (I was on my DRZ400SM.)

The Concours 14 should be ridden. Hope you find out how fun the bike is!

And sure, dropped bikes happen. Kinda like stubbing one's big toe. Hurts like a mother but after a while the pain and memory of it go away.
masameet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
Groucho
Hexhead Hoon

Name: Bob

Motorcycle:
  R1200GSA Schnellpanz

Let's just say that my assymetric checkerboard tape isn't on my bike purely aesthetic reasons...
Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
haroldo_psf

Motorcycle:
  08 Kawasaki C14 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by masameet View Post
Last week a rider (possibly deaf) on a silver Concours 14 in Concord showed me what a nifty and fast bike the Concours is. I turned right off of Detroit Ave. to Monument Blvd. and watched in my left mirror as he turned right several seconds behind me. As I turned my head to my right mirror, he'd already zoomed past me. (I was on my DRZ400SM.)

The Concours 14 should be ridden. Hope you find out how fun the bike is!

And sure, dropped bikes happen. Kinda like stubbing one's big toe. Hurts like a mother but after a while the pain and memory of it go away.
Don't get me wrong, I'm loving my bike, I know how fun she is, and how fast she can go. I don't have a car (my keeps our only car), so my C14 is my main transportation rain or shine, traffic or not, night or day. Mishaps are bound to happen when I'm on the saddle everyday like this. But it still SUCKS!
That's why I'm founding this club! Kind of like an AA club, where alcoholics ger together to feel better about being alcoholics.
Here, people who dropped it get together to feel better about dropping it! Just because we are wining about scratched and dings here and there doesn't mean we don't ride it, it just means we baby it in addition to riding it!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
kevin_stevens

Name: KeS

Motorcycle:
  ZX-14, 748

Awhile back I got off my ZX-14 without making any attempt to deploy the sidestand. It's amazing how poorly those motorcycles balance themselves without a third support point.

I have sliders on the bike, and surprisingly nothing else even touched the ground except for the very leading edge of the exhaust cannister. I bought a takeoff from eBay for $30 and it's good as new.

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
masameet

Name: Yvonne

Motorcycle:
  DRZ400SM & SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldo_psf View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm loving my bike, I know how fun she is, and how fast she can go ... That's why I'm founding this club! Kind of like an AA club, where alcoholics ger together to feel better about being alcoholics.

Here, people who dropped it get together to feel better about dropping it! Just because we are wining about scratched and dings here and there doesn't mean we don't ride it, it just means we baby it in addition to riding it!

Um ... okay.

I had a drop over the weekend. So to speak.

Didn't whine about it. Just cursed. A lot. Like. I seethed. If I could have breathed fire, I would've done that too. And probably might scorched some very nice people who didn't deserve a blast of heat.

Instead I gladly and humbly stood back as other Pashnitters helped me out. Even took their constant ribbing. (But I got some of 'em back later. )

So hip hip hooray to Sue, Roxanne, Kim, Dee and Cheryl for being there for me.
masameet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
CALIF GIRL

Name: MARION

Motorcycle:
  street, dual purpose,dirt. mx

OK... Since the person involved in this already posted that she went down I can tell you all.....

On the Girly ride another rider went down hard right in front of us...I stopped in the turn and went to put the kickstand down on my Goldwing, I missed and my foot slipped, I felt her going down. I told my passenger we were falling. I let the Goldwing fall in the middle of the mountain road, Cris and I both got off. We left the Goldwing in the road and ran to the downed rider........

And for those of you who are interested, YES Cris and I can pick up the Goldwing if she is laying on her side....and there was no damage to the Goldwing....Although I really do not want to try it again..
CALIF GIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
ace_frehly
Rider for Life

Name: Peter

Motorcycle:
  '99 Honda VFR 800

Where do I apply? Here is how my ride to colorado ended last year! Notice how perfectly upright the bike looks. What you can't see is the strong cross wind blowing but I sure knew it was there. And I really knew it was there after the 2nd photo
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
matthewp
Combat Truck Monkey

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle:
  Toura-busa

On my honeymoon, My wife and I decided to take a quick jaunt off HWY 1 up Nacimiento-Fergusson to see the view from the top. About halfway up, I decided it wasn't worth wrestling the bike up that goaty road (we were about 1100# loaded, Kristy packs a LOT of crap!) so I pull into a gravel shoulder and try to turn around. I didn't have the angle right and the bike slowly fell over on the downhill side! I had to take the top bag and one of the sidebags off before we were able to lift the bike! All it did was scratch the front corner of the bag that was landed on (I just painted the bags two weeks before!).
Old 08-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
haroldo_psf

Motorcycle:
  08 Kawasaki C14 ABS

Hammer Head2 Re: "I Dropped my new bike" club. Join for free! Feel better about your mishap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_frehly View Post
Where do I apply? Here is how my ride to colorado ended last year! Notice how perfectly upright the bike looks. What you can't see is the strong cross wind blowing but I sure knew it was there. And I really knew it was there after the 2nd photo
Don't get me wrong, I feel you man. But I have to say, your post made me laugh so hard here... This was the funniest "before and after" pictures I have ever seen... your story telling tops it off...

With a post like this, you deserve a higher ranking in our "club". I'm naming you "I dropped my new bike" club manager.

There are still openings for club director, vice president, executive, president and CEO. Hopefully more people will post their mishaps and will fill these positions soon!