Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > General Forums > General

Notices

Motoroads

Old 08-20-2008, 08:09 AM   #61
haroldo_psf

Name: Harold

Motorcycle:
  08 Kawasaki C14 ABS

Re: "I Dropped my new bike" club. Join for free! Feel better about your mishap!

Oh boy, I can't really say I'm happy to be back on this thread, but I have to add to it, again, unfortunately.
Two weekends ago my buddy (on an R1) and myself went for a day ride on Sunday, since my wife and his girlfriend were working. We took the usual Skyline, to Alices, and then 84 (La hondA) towards highway 1. It was about 9am, and althogh it was sunny, the pavement was still wet from the evening mist. On the second (blind) turn, there was a fresh car accident. I wasn't speeding (much), and was able to control my survival instincts and lean the bike even more, so I could then straighten it up and apply the brakes heavily. I came to a very controlled stop, and for a second I was proud of myself. The curve, however, was banked. The inside of the turn was the downhill side. This was also the side I chose to put my foot down. God F###ing damit. Why did I put that foot down, anybody explain please? It was slow motion. Down my 3 month old new $15K motorcycle goes, again, for the second time in 3 months.
I tried to fight her, but it was useless. It decided to agree with her, and gently laid her down. The police officer at the accident scene immediately went behind me to signal other vehicles to slow down, since I could get immediately out of the way. My friend helped me pick her up, and on we went with our ride. On the bright side, I had light scratches on the left side from the first lay down before. I since then felt asymetrical and uneven. Now I have light scratches (barely noticeable) on the right side as well, so my bike is more balanced now, more even and symetrical.
I bought frame slides for it the next day. Shall I get some training wheels as well?
Old 08-20-2008, 02:16 PM   #62
Dirty Girl

Name: Molly

Motorcycle:
  DR-Z400

Day two with my first bike while dismounting. I couldn't stop the fall, I could only slow it down a bit. There was much apologizing to my overly-anthropomorphized new love. I didn't go all out in the showroom when the sales guy dropped her on me, so I was worried that I'd have to find someone to help pick her up. (I used to have superhuman strength, but two years ago I was diagnosed with FMS and have since lost most of my super powers). The relief I felt in getting her off the ground with only one or two black dots swimming through my field of vision made up for the guilt of the drop. It helps that there were only a few minor scratches, too It's nice to know I've got something I can handle on my own.

"You've got to jump off cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down." -Ray Bradbury

"Allons-y!" -The Doctor
Dirty Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #63
RoxxieRae
Cuddly Hooligan

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle:
  Suzuki SV1000S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Girl View Post
Day two with my first bike while dismounting. I couldn't stop the fall, I could only slow it down a bit. There was much apologizing to my overly-anthropomorphized new love. I didn't go all out in the showroom when the sales guy dropped her on me, so I was worried that I'd have to find someone to help pick her up. (I used to have superhuman strength, but two years ago I was diagnosed with FMS and have since lost most of my super powers). The relief I felt in getting her off the ground with only one or two black dots swimming through my field of vision made up for the guilt of the drop. It helps that there were only a few minor scratches, too It's nice to know I've got something I can handle on my own.
sister, you ride a dirt bike with mirrors. your drops don't count.

Alas, the truth is i'm just jealous, because now the SV1K and i have to join the club too, and it does not bring either of us any pleasure. this weekend on highway 3 from Etna over to 299 i thought i lost the cable that attaches my helmet to the radio. So i flipped around to look for it, didn't find it, flipped around, didn't find it, flipped around again, stopped, looked down and realized that it has just come undone from my helmet, but was still attached to the bike. what a relief! plugged it back in, and on my fourth U-turn i lost it.

RIP my left turn signal and my clutch lever, but it could have been worse. mostly i'm just beyond irritated at how dumb it was (not to mention that i did it on a double yellow slightly down hill in one direction and around a bend in the other ... and i am really embarassed to say that i panicked... someone was nice and stopped to help, thank god)... had i just checked the bike, i never would have started the death spiral of u-turns.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:03 PM   #64
PatDPT
Dr. D

Name: Pat D

Motorcycle:
  2002 Triumph TT600

I dropped my very first bike (and still current bike) after owning it for about one week. I was backing-up the motorcycle (i.e. doing the 'two-foot-push') on level ground in my driveway with the engine off. My right foot slipped on a leaf, and down she went before I knew what happened.

Oopps....

It happens to everyone.

Pat D
Old 08-20-2008, 08:18 PM   #65
Dirty Girl

Name: Molly

Motorcycle:
  DR-Z400

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxxieRae View Post
sister, you ride a dirt bike with mirrors. your drops don't count.
Yeah, I know, but don't tell her that. She's a pretty, pretty princess, dammit.

The suckage of repair costs aside, scars are kind of sexy. Especially when they're not on MY bike.

"You've got to jump off cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down." -Ray Bradbury

"Allons-y!" -The Doctor
Dirty Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #66
Tyler

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle:
  2009 Can Am Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxxieRae View Post
had i just checked the bike, i never would have started the death spiral of u-turns.
Tard... and yes I can call you that cause I'm one too!!

Dangerous Curves
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:48 AM   #67
RoxxieRae
Cuddly Hooligan

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle:
  Suzuki SV1000S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Girl View Post
Yeah, I know, but don't tell her that. She's a pretty, pretty princess, dammit.

The suckage of repair costs aside, scars are kind of sexy. Especially when they're not on MY bike.
lol... i like that attitude. my other favorite bit of advice was from demenshea who told me "they're tools of the trade, not holy relics." I'm installing frame sliders anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Tard... and yes I can call you that cause I'm one too!!
lol...a moniker i fully deserve. by the way, Tyler... Seen any blue Aerostitch suits lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDPT View Post

Oopps....

It happens to everyone.
...truer words were never spoken.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #68
Nirvana
Motorcycle Meditation

Name: Shshank

Motorcycle:
  Ducati Monster 620, Royal Enfield Bullet 350

A couple helpful videos on to pick up a downed motorcycle.

Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:20 AM   #69
Nirvana
Motorcycle Meditation

Name: Shshank

Motorcycle:
  Ducati Monster 620, Royal Enfield Bullet 350

And a couple more.

Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:12 PM   #70
Eryx

Name: Eric

Motorcycle:
  K2 Chtrom, 07 99ty A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
A couple helpful videos on to pick up a downed motorcycle.
You really scared me here! Seeing you posting on that thread, I thought you already let down your yellow princess at a stop sign or something. Pfeww... I am glad you too are still together.
Eryx is offline   Reply With Quote