Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Adventure Touring & Off-pavement explorations > Generally Speaking: Adventure, Dual & Dirt

Notices

Old 08-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
motorrad
Diggin'dirt

Name: Tom

Motorcycle:
  WR250R

BMW G450X, Yamaha WR450F

I enjoy reading about new bikes, design, and this one now has my eye. Been thinking of getting a plated dirt bike and the radical design, light weight, and ground clearance of this BMW makes me drool.
Here's a nice review of this race class enduro.

The most interesting design feature is the countershaft serves as the swingarm pivot bolt hole, allowing the countershaft sprocket to rotate around the swingarm pivot point. This eliminates the need to adjust the chain to accommodate the wild variations in tension due to 12 inches of rear wheel travel. However, I also read this may make changing out front sprocket a chore.

Curious on your thoughts regarding the new G450X. Here's another review covering similar details.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
OldPete

Name: John Peter

Motorcycle:
  Red '91 K75S w/Wilbers damper

Re: Bmw G450x

51hp@254# dry sounds like fun.
The 37.6" seat height will come down a bit once the rider is mounted.

Industry first on the coaxial countershaft sprocket?
Doubt it, as there were several dirt only bikes that had that feature back-in-the-day and maybe a street bike but memory fails me atm.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:19 AM   #3
Don Hopkirk
100% Hedonist

Name: Don

Motorcycle:
  07 DL650 V-strom

Good read Tom, I think it will be interesting to see how reliable they are when they come out. Do you have any idea what the price tag is going to be on this bike? Might have to give Gail a call.

Don Hopkirk
Don Hopkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Strega 51
-o-o-0-o-o-

Name: Phil

Motorcycle:
  Tupolev Tu-95

This also will be my next evolution ADV dual sport, I've done the full on dirt only from 15 to 42, full on street since 02, although the Duck is a keeper not going anywhere. I've been looking for a motor Drew's DR for two months with no luck. Found a like new 02 DR650 with less than 2K for only 3K wish I could have bought it. When I do get the DR going man are we going to do some riding Tom, Volgograd here we come..
Old 08-28-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Eryx

Name: Eric

Motorcycle:
  K2 Chtrom, 07 99ty A

Great read Tom, thank you.
Pro: Power/weight ratio, seat height, weight distribution, novelty, bragging rights.
Con: It's plated but the tank is only 8 liters, that's what, 2.2 gallons?
Even at 60mpg, that leaves you with an even shorter range than my SUV.
Wild guess at the price for a 450cc: >= $7K?
--
Eric
Eryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:00 AM   #6
GS-RON

Name: Ron

Motorcycle:
  '08 ZX-14

2.1 gallons = maybe 60 miles on a tank. I've never seen a high perf 450 dirt bike get any better, esp in the dirt.

A Honda XR 650 (much milder state of tune than any hi-po 450) will run it's 2.5 gallon stock tank dry in 50-60 miles when you twist it's tail a bit in the dirt.

A CRF450X or a KTM XC450 will run dry in the same distance if you're not carefull with the right wrist. At least you can buy bigger tanks for those bikes. The KTM like the BMW comes with a lic plate.....

BMW claimed some wild mileage #s for the last generation 650s. Real world testing showed a whole new (much lower) set of #s. If it were my money I'd buy a bike that I could put a bigger tank on....... YMMV RON

Do a poppa-wheelie

I cried because I could not wheelie, till I met a man with no motorcycle..
GS-RON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:38 AM   #7
motorrad
Diggin'dirt

Name: Tom

Motorcycle:
  WR250R

Thanks guys, appreciate your feedback regarding the G450X. The lightweight, ground clearance, plenty of power, new design features appeal to me. I'm guessing price out the door will be in the $9K range (new), which is pretty high for a dirt bike. The other issue I learned is the 09 will not meet CA emissions for a plate, sounds like it will be street legal in other 49 States. Hmm, think I'll wait and see how they look and perform for a year.

The fuel capacity and ride comfort of a street legal dirt bike is an issue. This would obviously not be used for long paved rides, but nice to know you can ride the street for 10-20 miles to get to the good dirt stuff, and then have a light, high ground clearance bike to enjoy the tougher trails on. And, probably not for 100+ miles of dirt riding either, although having an aftermarket tank option would be nice.

So, not to mis-direct the topic off the new BMW G450X, came across this suggestion (2on2off and BMWRockster). It's another good read if interested in street legal dirt bikes. The Yamaha WR250R sounds great for the dirt, and short daily commute in town. The WR450F is a bit taller in the saddle, and probably a better comparison to the G450X. Nice bikes.

Here's another review of the WR250R. Although smaller displacement, I really like the price point, saddle height, light weight, and dirt/street capabilities
Old 08-29-2008, 07:19 AM   #8
Law Dawg (ret)
Unashamed Christian Rider

Name: Mark

Motorcycle:
  Yes

Beemer is making some fun dirty stuff...and with Beemer pricing to match.

I'd look to the KTM 450 DS for the reasons already stated (desert tank anyone?). The KTM is no slouch in the performance area and priced lower than BMW. Judy and I looked at (and priced ) a Suzuki DR 400 SM last weekend and decided the DR 650 is a better choice. That said, the KTM is priced close enough to the Suzuki that were we loking for more dirt capable, that's the way we would go.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #9
UberKul
Talk less, ride more.

Name: Brad

Motorcycle:
  05 FJR1300, 07 Husky TE450, 02 DR 650

I read (Dirt Bike/Dirt Rider?) the Marzocchi forks on the BMW 450 were valved pretty stiff. I can vouch that the Marzocchi's on my Husky TE 450 (now owned by BMW) felt like hydraulic lock in the baby heads until I revalved. I love my TE which is comparable to KTM's EXC's but the thought of doing miles of pavement on it is out of the question for my panty clad derriere . I recently acquired a Suzuki DR650 which is quickly becoming my favorite do-anything bike.
I like the idea of a seriously dirt worthy BMW but I would wait an evolution or two to see how things pan out.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:05 AM   #10
CALIF GIRL

Name: MARION

Motorcycle:
  street, dual purpose,dirt. mx

At work I ride both a DR 400 and DR 650. Overall, my entire team likes the 400 better.
CALIF GIRL is offline   Reply With Quote