Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Pashnit Roads, Rides & Bikes > California - Road Trips & Pics, pics, pics

Notices

Motoroads

Old 07-24-2005, 11:05 PM   #141
pashnit
Yes, I'm the guy

Name: Tim

Motorcycle:
  Hayabusa

Re: A Pashnit Epic Adventure - Riding Northern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutschengrabber
+1 for me too. Took me 2+ hrs at 53K speed. Is that dedication or whut!!
Not a bad trade off Jim!! A thread of this size (my longest yet) with nearly 300 photos took over (est.) 40 hours to write, edit & post!! Btw, that's why there's typically no more than two pics per post- b/c I know you're comin'!!
pashnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 11:16 PM   #142
pashnit
Yes, I'm the guy

Motorcycle:
  Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy_you_know
Tim- Actually, I can say one more little thing-- that technique with the panoramic "now turn your head and look" images is awesome.
Takes a bit of practice - but think I'm finally getting the hang of this. Thing about these cameras is, if you only looked at this shot.... you probably wouldn't think much of it. Ho hum, just some scenery.

Now look below... What happens when you turn your head on Forest Rd 1 -South Fork Mtn Rd. I really like this one!!
Old 07-24-2005, 11:16 PM   #143
pashnit
Yes, I'm the guy

Motorcycle:
  Hayabusa

Scroll---->

Old 07-27-2005, 08:39 PM   #144
motowriter
Crazy Rider - 1000/24/24

Name: <g>

Motorcycle:
  '05 FrankenZ1, '78 KZ650 SR

Ahhh, Tim. What a great write-up!! You really are the master.

This was such an entertaining read. But it took like 2 hours to go through it thoroughly and make some notes in response. It’s almost like too much of a good thing. Then again, you really give a wonderful inside look into a Pashnit tour. I suspect that was your intent. Well, I’m convinced. Will have to wait for next season, but we’ll be there.

Some notes as I pored over this excellent thread…

Have added LaPorte Rd. to the must-ride list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashnit
Adjacent to that are some bubbling mud pots, which don't do a whole lot. It's literally just a pot of mud, with bubbles coming up. Ah, we are so easily entertained.
I guess that makes 2 of us. Bubbling mud pots, eh? So it’s not as interesting as it sounds? Bummer. I'm serious... you had my interest piqued!

Quote:
Ah the view from up at an elevation like this!!! For example- here's the view as you look forward.
Doesn't look like much? See below to see the view that's really there!!
Yep, wow! It’s so hard to capture the entire vista where we stop to take pix. Panos are great for that! These shots in Lassen are simply amazing. Had no idea the snow stayed on these mountains all summer.

Quote:
Imagine if you will a stretch of road 140 miles long and a plethora of curves that stretch off so far, they only come to an end because you've reached the edge of the continent - the Pacific Ocean.
Wahhh! Don’t remind me… I have yet to ride this infamous road. (Well said, Tim, btw.)

Another money shot, this one. Like a Kawi ad.

K, adding Hwy 3 to the list as well. Drool…

Quote:
Imagine the press introduction in some exotic Italian city... "Introducing the Aprilia Tuono, 1000cc and only 3 gears... Trust me, it's all you'll ever need!"
Hahaha… you’re too funny, Tim. Now stop all this bike envy you’re causing, k? How did Jeff like the Busa??

Quote:
It's always interesting to me that we can be at some random intersection in the middle of nowhere, a rider pulls up and low and behold they have heard of the Pashnit.com website. It wasn't just that they'd heard of it, they'd used my California Motorcycle Roads site to plan their ride. Not sure why that surprises me, but it still fascinates me. If it wasn't for all the attention of late from print media & newspapers, I think I would have just stayed anonymous (like the first several years of writing the pashnit.com site).
Interesting, indeed. But you have thousands of followers out there that will remain forever anonymous to you. Your latest foray, into leading tours and interacting on the forums, has sort of set you at a point of no return into a unique fame in the moto community, Tim. It reduces the mystery to some extent, but exposes you to more direct appreciation for your efforts. Surely you understand how much the Moto Roads site means to us riders.

Quote:
The main thing this shot has is to fully utilize the zoom feature on the camera. Zoom it all the way to the extent of the optical zoom (don't tap into the digital zoom). Let's say it's zoomed to 4x. Then start backing off till you can fit the entire bike in the frame (you are zoomed after all).
An ah-ha moment going on here! Will be trying the zoom effect at first opportunity, this weekend!! Cool!

Another spectacular shot… no, not the one from the photo lesson.

If yer messing with watermarks, I like this one a lot!

So, is this Titlow Hill or Friday Ridge? Gotta know where that 50-mile ridge is for future ref!

Quote:
Otherwise, the lighting (in real life) changes throughout the range of the photo due to the position of the sun above changing as the camera takes each photo. The camera is a lot smarter than you are and will adjust the exposure automatically if don't make sure the shutter speed is the same on all 6-7 pics.
For those of us without SLRs, who can’t control shutter speed or aperture… I get the lighting value from the first shot, with the button half way down, then snap it. I get the same reading, from shot 1, keep the button halfway down, then pan to the next shot and snap it. For shots 3 or more I go back to the first shot and get the light reading before panning over to the next shot. This works to keep the light from changing dramatically across the photos, which will make a pano look really funny. Good stuff, Tim!

Quote:
One thing Haroldo had mentioned is he was worried the tour would be a bunch of Ricky Racer types and he'd be left in the dust somewhere. But he had noticed there were other large cruisers, both metric & Harley on past tours, and that set his mind at ease. But it's true, fast & slow all on the same ride - no worries!! Just bring two wheels!
That’s perfect. As I say, Donna and I will be there... next season. This tour looks too good to pass up!!

Thanks, Tim... and sorry for taking so long to respond. As I say, I like to read the whole thing before responding. With a thread like this it can take a bit.
motowriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:22 PM   #145
MyLife on TwoWheels
no role model

Name: Ray

Motorcycle:
  DL650, KLR650

Great pics Tim, looking at your photographs really makes you feel just like "being there".
Also, I can't get over how great that Tobin saddle looks, he really does some fabulous work.
MyLife on TwoWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:10 PM   #146
HK1980
:)

Name: Johnny

Send a message via AIM to HK1980

what an adventure ,awesome photos,awesome documenting

johnny
Old 09-13-2005, 10:21 PM   #147
brandoncbr

Name: brandon

Motorcycle:
  96 nighthawk 250, 98 900RR,2002 honda f4i

beautiful pics, looks like washington state, without the rain. looking at next season. Hey you could always run so cal from Oct. -January ,
brandoncbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:09 PM   #148
XS Mike
XS Mike

Name: Mike

Motorcycle:
  '82 Yam XS650SJ, '81 Yam XS650H (750 kit), '79 Yam XS1100SF, '82 Yam XS400SJ

Thumbup Re: A Pashnit Epic Adventure - Riding Northern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashnit
On the other side of the crest is a thrilling view of the entire valley that holds Clear Lake.

Overlooking Clear Lake from atop Hopland Grade

The roads await!!

Then it's down the hill and a quick jaunt over to Bottle Rock Rd. Rockin' and Rollin' on Bottle Rock Rd. Any ride that parallels the main highway is alright in my book. There's also anther ride, Harrington Rd to the east that's worth a look also. Then maybe could add in Seigler Rd to Big Canyon Rd to Butts Canyon.... Ah, well.

Just another set of roads to be included in the next Pashnit Motorcycle Tour!

The End.
Awesome is an overused word but I can't think of a better one word description of this ride. The icing on the cake for me was the ending over Hopland Grade which is one of my regular rides along with Big Canyon, Seigler Canyon, Morgan Valley Rd not to mention what my friend Ducati Tim calls Bottle Rocket Road. I'm just minutes away from all of these but I never get tired of them.

(To go OT for a moment...one thing I can't emphasize enough about Big Canyon Road is that the condition of the pavement changes on a weekly if not daily basis. I'll ride it one day and the next day yesterday's potholes have been filled and new ones have appeared. Riders be advised.)

This was an absolutely fantastic tour...good going guys!
XS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:06 AM   #149
G8ESCAP
AKA Gixxerdale

Name: Dale

Motorcycle:
  4wd Dual Sport

OK Tim! You've gone and done it with this thread. I'm sitting in SoCal with heavy rain pouring down, but this thread was nearly as good as being on the ride!

This I hope, will be one of the 2006 rides? Especially since I'm putting it on my Christmas list (umm Julie!) Seems everything on my Christmas list is always moto related , even if they think it's not!

Dale

"Ride like you own the road, and one day the road will own you"
G8ESCAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:22 PM   #150
Bowman Blythe
Kinda new round here

Name: Bow

Motorcycle:
  '05 BMW K1200 LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mad otter
Tim and Tim too...
Thank you both for a wonderful journey...til we pass by again!
Alan
Hi:

this is my first time on any forum but I had to get my two cents worth about this ride. First of all I am insanely jealous I wish I could have been there. My wife and I have done most of the roads you were on and we loved every one.
we live in Hope British Columbia and have been riding for over 30 years and have visited California several times the last being June 2004.

We also have been to the Grand Canyon which was an excellent adventure. We are presently riding our second K1200Lt a 2005 model that we have ridden 25,00 0 kilometres since buying it Oct 2005.

I have been writing up each of our rides over the past 5 years if you need something to fill space I can send them on.

Cheers

Bowman
Bowman Blythe is offline   Reply With Quote