Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > General Forums > Mods, Gadgets & Gear

Notices

Old 07-05-2006, 07:55 PM   #31
bftownsend

Name: Bradford

Motorcycle:
  Many BMWs (R1100S Replika & R1200GS in SF)

Re: AutoCom Communicators vs. everyone else - pros & cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashnit
What communication system does everyone use btw ?

Tim - I just bought an autocom unit.. yet to install it.. but looked into it a lot and most recommended autocom hands down over the others... will let you know what it is like once I get it instlled and test it out... but one thing I did end up doing and that was to pic up a hand held CB for the bike... should prove nice for the longer rides.. for saftey if nothing else... also will look at getting an Icom dual band UHF/VHF hand held for the bike to bike comms.
bftownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 05:55 AM   #32
bearparts

Name: Galen

Motorcycle:
  '07 YAMAHA R1

Send a message via Yahoo to bearparts

So everyone has their own story and opinion on these comm units. I bought the Starcom, soon to be installed. Now starts the decision for a radio to add for bike to bike. Cobra has a new(er) one out small lightweight #LI6000xxx
seemed ok. What do you think?
Old 07-08-2006, 06:13 AM   #33
SixFiveOh
Gone Full Circle

Name: Keith

Motorcycle:
  2006 Suzuki Hayabusa

After resurrecting this thread I eventually decided to go the less expensive route. I wanted a system for communication only - no music, just the "let's turn here" stuff. So I opted for a GMRS Midland Radio and their helmet speaker system. The units have shipped and should be here next week. I'll post a review at that time.

The total package, with shipping (from Amazon), was $144.97 for everything. That included two Midland GXT600VP4 5 Watt 22 Channel GMRS Radios (with NOAA All Hazard Weather Alert) and two Midland AVPH2 Closed Face Helmet Headsets.
SixFiveOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:12 AM   #34
bearparts

Name: Galen

Motorcycle:
  '07 YAMAHA R1

Send a message via Yahoo to bearparts

Installed the Starcom..love it. Great product..
Old 07-21-2007, 10:04 AM   #35
Drider
Kinda new round here

Name: Dan

Motorcycle:
  BMW R1150RT

I too have been looking at both the AutoCom and the StarCom1 units. I can totally understand how it is not easy to understand hand jestures while riding with my wife.

She is always trying to talk with me or ask me something so the com would be great.

I am also looking at the bluetooth setup so that I can answer my phone. Nothing worse than feeling your phone vibrate 2 minutes after you get on the road.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #36
FJRM

Name: BRIAN =DAMAGED ONE=

Motorcycle:
  FJR1300 2008

Is the Autocom still the way to go.....

Starcom or Autocom......?????

Will they work with a Zumo660 and a Phone... What to do

B....
Old 05-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #37
Scarman
Not all pain is gain.

Name: Dave

Motorcycle:
  FJR-1300

It depends on what you really want to achieve with your comm system. There are other good comm systems out there that have a more basic functionality, but are much easier to install. Autocom and Starcom provide great functionality, but can get a bit complex in the setup depending on your skill level and how crazy you want to get with all the integration. I'm an engineer by trade so yeah I tend to go over board.

First off... Starcom bought Autocom several months back, but they said the plan is to keep both product lines going and remain separate for now. Although I doubt that will be the case long term. Personally I'd have to give the Starcom a serious consideration all things considered.

I upgraded from a Autocom Pro 7 Sport to a new Autocom Super Pro Automatic just before Autocom went under and Starcom picked them up. I have no complaints at all and it was definitely well worth the upgrade. I never had a problem with my Pro 7 Sport and I'm sure the Super Pro Automatic will last me just as long. By the time I'm ready for a new one, everything will have changed again and I'll reevaluate what's available at that time. The nice thing about staying with the Autocom line is I didn't have to get all new cables. That was a big plus for me.

I have a Zumo 550 GPS (also using the Zumo integrated mp3 player), iPhone, and Yaesu VX-7r ham radio working very well through my new Autocom and there's plenty of room to add more if I choose. I'm certain I could have done the same with a Starcom . I've never used a Starcom so I can't really give you a direct comparison from actual usage, but I can say that I like the cables for the Autocom much better. Not cheap, but they're made to be used and abused.

Think about what your primary functionality requirements are and how far you want to go with it long term. Does one system seem to fit that description better from your perspective? Do your research and then open your wallet wide. OK... you need to open it wider than that. It's not cheap and it can be a pain to get it all setup but when you do it's a thing of beauty. I rarely use any of the actual comm stuff on my bike, but my techno-gene gets it's jollies just knowing I can.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRM View Post
Is the Autocom still the way to go.....

Starcom or Autocom......?????

Will the work with a Zumo660 and a Phone... What to do

B....
Scarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #38
jrfrance
Lucky Jim

Name: Jim

Motorcycle:
  03 superhawk

Send a message via Skype™ to jrfrance

Try Collett communications out of Canada. Easy set up and and has a 3.5mm input and bluetooth if you need it
Old 05-12-2010, 03:42 AM   #39
FJRM

Name: BRIAN =DAMAGED ONE=

Motorcycle:
  FJR1300 2008

Thank you Dave !! very nice evaluation......

B......
Old 05-12-2010, 07:14 AM   #40
Scarman
Not all pain is gain.

Name: Dave

Motorcycle:
  FJR-1300

I also wanted to add that the new iVox in the Super Pro Automatic works great. Setting the VOX sensitivity with my old Pro 7 Sport to handle a variety of noise conditions was always a compromise at best. In fact I eventually pulled the VOX adjust pot from the Pro 7 Sport circuit board and wired it up front where I could adjust it on the fly as riding & wind conditions changed. With the new iVOX circuit and the ANS (automatic noise sensor) in my helmet, the VOX sensitivity adjusts its self as noise levels change. When I first read about the iVOX feature, my first thought was "Marketing Gimmick" but I'm actually very surprised and very pleased with how well it works. Big improvement over the old Pro 7 Sport.

Dave
Scarman is offline   Reply With Quote