Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > General Forums > Becoming A Better Rider- A place for the New Rider

Notices

Old 05-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #21
Bibendum
Sarcasm realized

Name: Kharon

Motorcycle:
  R1200GS

Re: Downshifting to stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
So does my GS...aaaaand I still forget if coasting to a stop in second.
+1 on that! My RT has a gear indicator, and almost every time I coast to a stop in 2nd, I forget to downshift to 1st before attempting to take off. Attempting being the operative word here, because usually you just end up going nowhere and looking like a dork. Then the RT likes to get stuck in neutral and get fussy about going into 1st...prolonging the dork episode.

Also +1 on the breaking and down shifting at the same time, same as in my car.

Cheers!
Kharon
Bibendum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #22
Burgi

Name: Alison

Motorcycle:
  Triumph Bonneville

I guess I am still to new and hyper aware to forget to go down to first.
A much more likely scenario for me is to hit neutral instead of second on the way up. A mid insection pause while I wait for the revs to drop so I can hit 2nd and be on my way
Burgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #23
Jester
Vescere bracis meis

Name: Larry

Motorcycle:
  FJR, Aprilia RSV R

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDave View Post
That's what MSF says to do, so I always did. Unfortunately, some bikes clutch components will not last very long with the clutch held in at longer stops.
I judge each stopped situation individually, trying to use neutral as much as possible. It's nice to let go of the grips and let my arms relax occasionally. For brief stops or if I feel at risk or in doubt, I will hold the clutch in while stopped with first gear engaged.
+1

The MSF preaches to match engine speed to road speed in case a fast get-away is required. Downshifting to first as you roll. MSF students on the Nighthawks know what I'm talking about. At lights, I will usually slip it into neutral only after I have 2 cars stopped behind me.

For you indicator dependant riders, first is at the bottom of the shift pattern (or up if you are a Racer type..).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
I guess I am still to new and hyper aware to forget to go down to first.

A much more likely scenario for me is to hit neutral instead of second on the way up. A mid insection pause while I wait for the revs to drop so I can hit 2nd and be on my way
After over 30 years of riding, I will still blow a shift on occasion, 'specially if there as a hottie in the crosswalk drawing my attention.

Ride Safe,

J

If there are two ways to perceive what I just said, I meant the good way...
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #24
demenshea
10% Angel 90% Hooligan

Name: Donna

Motorcycle:
  07 BMW R1200R

Send a message via AIM to demenshea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
After over 30 years of riding, I will still blow a shift on occasion, 'specially if there as a hottie in the crosswalk drawing my attention.
sheesh...after 30 years of riding you are lucky u can even see a "hottie" without special glasses ( u know the rose colored ones...)

Ride Like a Girl
Travel Blog for Riders
demenshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #25
Jester
Vescere bracis meis

Name: Larry

Motorcycle:
  FJR, Aprilia RSV R

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by demenshea View Post
sheesh...after 30 years of riding you are lucky u can even see a "hottie" without special glasses ( u know the rose colored ones...)
I prefer braille....

If there are two ways to perceive what I just said, I meant the good way...
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #26
Knife

Name: John

Motorcycle:
  '98 Honda VFR

You always want to be in 1st gear when you stop. That way, if the asshat coming up behind you isn't going to stop, you can make a quick exit.
Knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #27
KINO5

Name: Kay

Motorcycle:
  2011 Honda CB1000R

A correctly executed rev matched downshift gives me one of the most satisfying feeling in the world. So my answer is obviously #1
Old 07-06-2009, 04:33 AM   #28
hotshoetom
Honest Occiffer....

Name: Tom

Motorcycle:
  Suzuki DL650 K8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakelate View Post
Yeah, but was she cute and have that ever-so-sexy southern drawl ?

It's always better to be killed by someone attractive.

Seriously, It somewhat depends on the bike and the gear box. On the ST 1300, it preferred to brake down to a stop, then tap-tap-tap down to first. The new Busa on the other hand demands that you downshift early, while still moving at a pretty good clip, or it hangs in a higher gear (still breaking in perhaps). While, my old VStrom and DRZ-SM are comepletely happy switching gear at any speed with a properly timed blip of the throttle to rev-match. So, I guess it is hard to lay down a concrete answer.
I have tried just braking to a stop with the vstrom, but then have a devil of a time getting the bike into first gear. So I have adopted the following strategy that works for me. If I am slowing down to come to a complete stop, I seldom ever downshift and use compression braking to help slow me down. I just pull in the clutch and while I am still rolling click down through the gears until I get to first. I never put the bike in neutral at a stoplight...when it turns green I wanna go!

On the other hand, if I am slowing down for a yield sign or some other "stopping is optional" situation I nearly always gear down with the idea being to stay moving in the correct gear if traffic permits.

This approach removes the ambiguity for me and now I mostly don't even think about it. I just do it. That gives me plenty of practice doing it both ways.

BTW, when I had my burgman I really enjoyed using the manual shift function on that bike. It made riding it a lot of fun.

"Yeah, I ride every day. No, I am not crazy, I am cheap. With crazy, you get a roof over your head, 3 meals a day, and men in little white coats to make your life miserable."
hotshoetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:10 AM   #29
GTTrom
Biker to the core

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle:
  2008 Kawasaki ZX-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

Ride Safe,

J
I've been riding for over 27 years and I also am affected by the hottie syndrome!

Talk about being a dork! But it does have the benefit of making you pay attention for awhile!
At least until the next hottie!!!

Back on point, I use the engine to slow until I am nearly stopped. The hard part is if you have an emergency stop, trying to keep the engine in the right gear!
I "usually" keep the bike in gear at stoplights, at least until the cagers behind me have stopped. Then I'll rest my clutch and wait for the happy light!

Gordon
GTTrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #30
daddymakk

Name: Daryl

Motorcycle:
  '03 BMW K1200RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDave View Post
That's what MSF says to do, so I always did. Unfortunately, some bikes clutch components will not last very long with the clutch held in at longer stops.
I judge each stopped situation individually, trying to use neutral as much as possible. It's nice to let go of the grips and let my arms relax occasionally. For brief stops or if I feel at risk or in doubt, I will hold the clutch in while stopped with first gear engaged.
I too do this for short stops. I also watch my mirrors for a sleepy cager coming up behind that may only see the car in front of me and not the bike. A few taps on the brake light will help you be seen. Once I know he has stopped I may opt to pop it in neutral to give me and my clutch a rest.
daddymakk is offline   Reply With Quote