Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > General Forums > Maintenance, Repair & Dealers

Notices

Old 08-09-2005, 09:59 PM   #1
Aphraidknot

Name: Allen

Motorcycle:
  V Star 1100

Missing Muffler Gasket

I got a V-Star 1100 and when I was reinstalling the pipes I ruined one of the muffler gaskets. I have one on order through Bike Bandit.com, but it is on backorder. Has anybody used Auto muffler gaskets or tape fill this void. Just for temporary of course?
Aphraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:24 PM   #2
ekaphoto

Name: John

Motorcycle:
  DR-Z 400, 2007 Harley 1200R

Send a message via AIM to ekaphoto Send a message via Yahoo to ekaphoto
Re: Missing Muffler Gasket

I found one at the auto parts store that was close and cut it to fit. It worked fine.

John
ekaphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:46 AM   #3
Aphraidknot

Motorcycle:
  V Star 1100

Sounds like that is what I will have to do. I will try it out thanks.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
Aphraidknot

Motorcycle:
  V Star 1100

Just got back from a round trip thru Zion and Bryce Canyon. Before I left I installed my temporary muffler fix, which I purchased at Auto Zone. Well we didn't even get as far as Mesquite before I noticed a change in the sound of my exhaust. Well I decided to put the problem off to later. 11 hours later, I was informed from one of my riding partners that the inside of exhaust was cherry red, like molten lava red. So with that, we decided to take it to a mellow 65 mph. I guess I'll just wait till my part comes in from Bikebandit. Anybody else ever run into this?
Old 08-14-2005, 04:10 PM   #5
Scarman
Not all pain is gain.

Name: Dave

Motorcycle:
  FJR-1300

Not a good idea to use something else. Although... I have done it myself. Since I have done it myself many times actually, I am uniquely qualified to advise against it. It works most of the time, but when it goes bad... it goes really bad. If the gasket doesn't fit exactly as it should you could end up with a tiny gas leak that can turn into a small cutting torch.

Sounds like it developed more than a small exhaust leak and the loss of back pressure overheated the exhaust port. This can cause burned valves so don't mess around and get the right gasket. Don't do as I have done. No or very low back pressure is really bad for your engine.
Scarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:08 AM   #6
Aphraidknot

Motorcycle:
  V Star 1100

Thanks, that is sound advice, no pun intended. I am surely waiting till I get my replacement part in before start her up. Almost like you said, I was advised to get my valves adjusted once I get the gasket.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:41 AM   #7
Aphraidknot

Motorcycle:
  V Star 1100

I just wanted to add that I received my part from Bike Bandit, and now I have to order two more. Not because I got the wrong part, but because I didn't own the part for longer than ten minutes. I ruined the gasket during installation, so now I have to order a replacment (again). This time I will order two, and now I am seeking advice on the installation. Any words of advice?
Old 08-27-2005, 04:37 PM   #8
Scarman
Not all pain is gain.

Name: Dave

Motorcycle:
  FJR-1300

Torque the bolts to specs.
Scarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
Ramchargr
Kinda new round here

Name: mike

Motorcycle:
  yamaha 1100 v-star classic

i just did my first oil change on my v-star 1100. after reading these posts i decided to think about reasembly of the muffler system before ruining the gaskets that are 20 bucks a piece here in canada. i attached the header pipe loosely to the head to allow movement of the upper pipe while putting on the mufflers. i slid the new gaskets on the header pipes. there is a dimple on them that locates the gaskets properly. i cleaned the old gasket material from the mufflers and sanded them clean and smoth inside. i loosened off the clamps almost all the way and carefully bent the the slotted parts of the muffler out so they were somewhat larger than the outside diameter of the gasket. i then coated the inside of the muffler with axle grease. the mufflers then slid on easily. i reinstalled the bolts holding the muffler to the frame loosely. i did up the header pipe bolts tight. then i tightened the muffler clamps and finally the bolts to the frame. worked like a charm but what a dumb procedure for an oil change. hope this helps.
Ramchargr is offline   Reply With Quote