Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Pashnit Roads, Rides & Bikes > International - Road Trips & Pics, Pics, Pics

Notices

Old 09-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
invictamoto
100% Gooner

Name: Paul

Motorcycle:
  Tiger Explorer 1200

Send a message via Yahoo to invictamoto
A little romantische!

I blame Henry Cole, who has a programme on the Travel Channel called "World''s Greatest Motorcycle Rides", for this part of the return trip home from Czech. The last programme we had on Sky+ was about the German Romantische Strasse. Places like Donauworth, Dinkelsbühl and Rothenburg ob der Tauber.

Claire was most interested in a visit to Kathe Wohlfahrt's Christmas shop in Rothenburg. And as a trade-off for the days sitting by the side of the track at the Brno MotoGP I had to agree.

Once we had entangled ourselves from Prague where we had stayed the night before at the Extol Inn in Holesovice aka Prague 7.

Looking at the map it looked that the nearest part of the Strasse would be Dinkelsbühl, and so we made our way there across country to avoid a huge traffic jam on the motorway.

The first sight of the town is a gateway, once inside there are so many photogenic sights.

We spent a while there, enjoyed a eiscaffe before togging up to get to Rothenburg.

The Romantische Strasse is sign posted between Dinkelsbühl and Rothenburg and passes through pretty beautiful countryside.

Rothernburg is even more scenic.

After few hours wandering around and Claire investing in snow globes (!) we just had to have a drink and a rest. The weather had been so good we were a little frazzled so it had to be beer. I always thought that a stein was for tourists, but in fact, they really do keep your beer colder than a glass.

Mmmmmm.

Once refreshed we suited and booted and set off for the Youth Hostel in Creglingen, another 14kms along the Strasse.

The YH is just off the main road and Creglingen is very quiet. Dinner that night was at a local gasthaus. Although we had no idea what we were ordering when we saw pfifferling (!) it turned out they were chanterelle mushrooms. It was apparently the week when they are in season.

The next day we were sadly motorway bound until we reached the Rhein, but not before a few more miles to Weikersheim on the Romantische Strasse.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
PongoUSA
Der Weg ist das Ziel

Name: Ralph

Motorcycle:
  '04 BMW R 1150 RT

Re: A little romantische!

Very nice ! I love Rothenburg, one of the most romantic towns of Germany. I could stay days there. And Steins, yeah. Beer just tastes so much better when you drink it from a stein, indeed

And Pfifferlinge. We had them a lot, when we have been in Germany this July / August. Yummy !!

I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

IBA# 48396
PongoUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
invictamoto
100% Gooner

Motorcycle:
  Tiger Explorer 1200

I'd like to return again and spend more time in the area. The people were very friendly and accommodating.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:36 AM   #4
demenshea
10% Angel 90% Hooligan

Name: Donna

Motorcycle:
  07 BMW R1200R

Send a message via AIM to demenshea

Beautiful photographs of some amazing architecture! Love the lighting!!

Now that looks like a fun trip. We are heading to Germany in two weeks but sadly we won't be doing any motorcycling. We are taking Gary's mom to her home town of Bremen for her 80th. I do look forward to the trip!

Ride Like a Girl
Travel Blog for Riders
demenshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
Anthony

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle:
  Kawasaki ZX-14R

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictamoto View Post
The next day we were sadly motorway bound until we reached the Rhein, but not before a few more miles to Weikersheim on the Romantische Strasse.

Right on, did this route in the summer of 2008 when I was stationed at Ramstein Air Base in Germany. Great food, great roads, and great memories.

www.2wheel4fun.com

Retired
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
invictamoto
100% Gooner

Motorcycle:
  Tiger Explorer 1200

Would like to go back and do more of the road and maybe stay longer in Bavaria. As it is there are so many places to go and Mrs Moto is hankering after Denmark or Sweden!
Old 11-05-2011, 03:48 AM   #7
Gerrit68

Name: Gerrit

Motorcycle:
  Triumph Tiger 800 XC

Hi Paul, I haven't visited this forum for quite a while so I missed your RR earlier. On your way from the Czech Republic to Dinkelsbuehl you probably passed Nuremberg, that's the area where I live. The beer you had there (Zirndorfer) is from a small brewery about 1 mile from my home, it's also my favorite beer.

If you like to come back to this region of Germany, let me know, I would love to show you some nice roads and places of interest, not so touristy like Rothenburg where even some road signs are in Japanese.

Question from a non-native speaker:
Why are people who ride motorcycles called bikers and people who ride bikes called cyclists?
Gerrit68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
invictamoto
100% Gooner

Motorcycle:
  Tiger Explorer 1200

Thanks Gerrit. I did indeed bypass Nurnburg again. I have done so many times. Only once I have actually stopped!