Motoroads

Old 09-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
CRASH
Cooligan

Name: Dan

Motorcycle:
  2004 BMW K1200GT

Yes Virginia, Flats do happen.

I have been riding for over 38 years and have had 2 (okay, 3 now) flats. Lost a front valve stem once and had a tube blow out on the rear once. I have been carrying plug kits around for at least 20 years and an air compressor for about 8 ... and never had the opportunity to use them. Let me tell you, having it when you do need it is priceless. Got off the highway today and must have picked up a nail in the construction zone on the off ramp. In less than mile I had to pull into a parking lot for an errand and the bike was handling bad. I checked the front tire since it felt like what was off and nothing. Came out and saw my bike squishing the back (and it is strange I hardly ever park on the side stand, but had I not this time, I would not have noticed it right away).

No worries, found the nice neat little hole, pulled out the tire plug stuff. Used the Slime air compressor and put some pressure in the tire to make sure the hole I found was the only one. I carry a full array, plugs with a plug gun and gooey worms. Decided on the worms ( I tested the plugs once on a tire off the rim and it didn't inspire me, but then, it was not tested under real world applications). Reamed the hole, pushed in a worm and made sure it was in good. Pumped up the tire. The Slime pump is only supposed to run for 8 minutes at a time or it will over heat. If you let it cool for 15 minutes or so, it can then finish up most any tire. The 8 minutes gave me 32 PSI and with a gas station across the street, I packed up, rode it over and finished filling up to 42 PSI. Got home, still at 42 PSI.

Slime pump is a great investment - I believe Tim sells the Cycle Pump product which has similar specs and gets great reviews. I have the Standard Model - Tire Plugger which I do believe I got from Tim. My gooey worm set up I pieced together at an auto parts store ... reamer, insertion tool and worms. The gooey worms are easy to use and install (note I have T handle reamers and insertion tools .. way easier than the screw driver handle type.) It took longer to unpack and repack all the stuff than the actual repair took.

Glad I pack everything INCLUDING the kitchen sink ... a fold up basin that I use to soak my evap jacket in while on the road ... if you haven't picked up a plug kit, do it. Hope you never need it, but man is it nice when you need it. Now I know no matter where I am, I have a good chance of getting someplace for a full repair. Now do I ride it for a while since the tire is not even really at half life yet or swap it out. Probably ride on it this weekend to go on Tyler's ride then will decide.
IBA# 21680
Jenny's # 867-5309
"These are my Pashnit/Passionate boys." - Tyler Risk
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
poach
PartTimeLandBargeOperator

Name: Chris

Motorcycle:
  yes please

Re: Yes Virginia, Flats do happen.

Superbowl Sunday 2yrs ago I received my first, and so far only moving violation on a moto in 36yrs. Pulled over for the chippie and ran over a roofing nail...the ol double whammy. I was out there waiting 4hrs hoping the tow guy AAA called for me wasn't watching the game or too pickled to care. Coyotes got pretty brave after sunset...thought they were gonna have a go at me.

I carry worms and a compressor now...
poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Twisted Trader
Not a Knee Dragger

Name: Vincent

Motorcycle:
  BMW R1100S Boxer Cup

About 1 year ago, when my newly installed tires, which had only 300 miles on them, picked up a nail on Geiger Grade, just outside Carson City. Since the protruding nail was about 30 degrees off the tires center, and really was not leaking any air, I prudently purchased a tire repair kit for the upcoming repair. I was at business meetings for three days, and the tire did not loose any pressure even though I had not yet repaired the tire. I decided to ride the 250 miles home, over Tioga Pass, and tackle the repair in the shade of my garage. I made it home, with the tire in great condition, and carefully pulled the nail and plugged that sucker, and carefully trimmed the excess. So here it is 1 year and 3,500 miles later and the tire is still in great shape as is the tire plug. Only upon close examination am I able to notice where the plug is. I figure that the plug will be good for the life of the tire, maybe another 1500 miles.
Twisted Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
pashnit
Yes, I'm the guy

Name: Tim

Motorcycle:
  Hayabusa

Smart advice gang! Cycle Pumps are top quality, I've been carrying mine for over 8 years now, and we've patched numerous tires. Stop & Go Kits are also top quality and the mushrooms work great.

http://www.pashnit.com/product/cyclepump.html

Forget that 4 hours on side of road, we were back riding twisties in 15 minutes. Seriously.

Name:  DSC01056.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  117.6 KB

pashnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
CRASH
Cooligan

Motorcycle:
  2004 BMW K1200GT

For good measure I put some slime in it too. It will suck big when I go to change it but I will manage. I used to use Ride On and Slime in all my tube tires - I don't think it ever was needed but it made me feel better and since it was in a tube, no mess during tire changes.
IBA# 21680
Jenny's # 867-5309
Old 09-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
Tyler

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle:
  2009 Can Am Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASH View Post
Reamed the hole
Hope you were gentle...

Dangerous Curves
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
viffergyrl
Road Witch

Name: Kris

Motorcycle:
  '99 VFR; '01 Duc ST4

<snerk>

'99 Honda VFR 800
'01 Ducati ST4
viffergyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
Turkus
Booie Tuchus

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle:
  1993 BMW K75S

Send a message via Skype™ to Turkus
Yes Virginia, Flats do happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASH View Post
Slime pump is a great investment - I believe Tim sells the Cycle Pump product which has similar specs and gets great reviews. I have the Standard Model - Tire Plugger which I do believe I got from Tim. My gooey worm set up I pieced together at an auto parts store ... reamer, insertion tool and worms. The gooey worms are easy to use and install (note I have T handle reamers and insertion tools .. way easier than the screw driver handle type.) It took longer to unpack and repack all the stuff than the actual repair took.

Glad I pack everything INCLUDING the kitchen sink ... a fold up basin that I use to soak my evap jacket in while on the road ... if you haven't picked up a plug kit, do it. Hope you never need it, but man is it nice when you need it. Now I know no matter where I am, I have a good chance of getting someplace for a full repair. Now do I ride it for a while since the tire is not even really at half life yet or swap it out. Probably ride on it this weekend to go on Tyler's ride then will decide.
It would probably behoove me to get some gooey worms to carry as well
I picked up a staple two days after returning from a 3300 mile trip (including a Pashnit Tour), the PR2 was new when I left.
Being the cheap bastidge that I am, I kept the old tire after the dealer said they couldn't/wouldn't patch the tire and sold me a new one
I had my local car tire dude do an old school "hot patch" on the old tire and I installed it after I wore out the last tire when I moved up to Seattle last year.
That tire survived another 3500-4000 miles, including Iderhoe Motobrick Motomayhem this year, never missed a beat and never lost a lb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashnit View Post
Smart advice gang! Cycle Pumps are top quality, I've been carrying mine for over 8 years now, and we've patched numerous tires. Stop & Go Kits are also top quality and the mushrooms work great.
I got both of mine from Tim right after I purchased the RT.
Haven't had to use the plug kit (yet ) but I have used the compressor and it is worth its weight in gold

Adventure is just poor planning - Roald Amundsen

GMR1 2009

Ride Safe and with a purpose
www.streetmasters.info

Follow Streetmasters on Facebook
Turkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
CRASH
Cooligan

Motorcycle:
  2004 BMW K1200GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Hope you were gentle...
Two things ...

1) only you can get away with that

2) when I turn bright red on Sunday ... it's your fault.
IBA# 21680
Jenny's # 867-5309
Old 10-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #10
packnrat

Name: larry

Motorcycle:
  2004 FZ1.

Lets Eat Re: Yes Virginia, Flats do happen.

i got my first flat and having a good T-handle for the gooy worms is making a easy job out of it.
i had the co/2 cans 45 grams. filled up my back tire good (120X80-16 ) but getting replacement cans is tough as none stocked on a shelf. must order them so i ordered the pump and plug set from pashnit.
still have one can but with the pump never will be out of air.

if i had nothing with me, even a walk of 10 miles pushing the bike on a flat is.
..not fun.

packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote