Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Pashnit Roads, Rides & Bikes > United States - Road Trips & Pics, pics, pics

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #51
Leroys73
LD Old Fart

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle:
  07HondaVTX1300R

Re: Getting ready for the great adventure

I agree with you. I know too many people who have said, "I wish I would have done this or that". Some never see retirement, health problems set in, or they just don't. I plan to be a doer while I can as you are.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #52
RCLafnjack

Name: Tim

Motorcycle:
  07 Royal Star TD

UPDATE:
2 Weeks from today, I might go crazy before that ...
Bike is got new rubber, tune up, and even hosed it down. Everything is going smooth with the exception of my patience....LOL

http://stubbeadventures.weebly.com
RCLafnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #53
orbiker
Live to Ride

Name: Ken

Motorcycle:
  2013 Victory XCT

Hi Tim,
I was looking thru your list in your site.
Do you have a power port or 2 on your bike and an power inverter to charge all your chargeable batteries? Sometimes; while traveling you could be charging the camera or something else. At many campgrounds the outlets are not that available. If they are available; you might want a long small extension cord.

Another thought; a camelbak is very handy to help stay hydrated. Most places that have a soda machine, have a ice dispenser. Just ask if you can get a little water and fill up mostly with ice. The ice from a ice machine is purified, so there is less need to buy bottled water.
orbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #54
RCLafnjack

Motorcycle:
  07 Royal Star TD

Both 12volt to 110 and a Solar Charger that will charge minor things like Mp3 players etc.. I have a cooler rack on the trailer tongue but that will be empty until I get close to a campground (just to keep the weight down, I also carry a 24 can cooler for water/soda's for water breaks.. and there is always someplace along the road to get something to drink or eat. I'm also carrying some snacks like Nuts and Atkins bars for the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
Hi Tim,
I was looking thru your list in your site.
Do you have a power port or 2 on your bike and an power inverter to charge all your chargeable batteries? Sometimes; while traveling you could be charging the camera or something else. At many campgrounds the outlets are not that available. If they are available; you might want a long small extension cord.

Another thought; a camelbak is very handy to help stay hydrated. Most places that have a soda machine, have a ice dispenser. Just ask if you can get a little water and fill up mostly with ice. The ice from a ice machine is purified, so there is less need to buy bottled water.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #55
Leroys73
LD Old Fart

Motorcycle:
  07HondaVTX1300R

Tim, once again you have made me antsy. I almost moved my retirment date up to April 11. As it is now I hit the silk some time between April 19 and May 4. Depends on when I have had an overdose of the Dallas traffic; I'm close every day. My initial trip won't be as awesome as yours. I will take a long way from Dallas area to Durango Colorado for a friend's birthday via southeastern Arizona and north to Natural Bridges National Park. Later in the summer I am looking at Yellowknife, NWT. Why Yellowknife, just because.

Solar charger? Something I didn't think of. Thanks, I'll add it to my supplies.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #56
RCLafnjack

Motorcycle:
  07 Royal Star TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroys73 View Post
Tim, once again you have made me antsy. I almost moved my retirment date up to April 11. As it is now I hit the silk some time between April 19 and May 4. Depends on when I have had an overdose of the Dallas traffic; I'm close every day. My initial trip won't be as awesome as yours. I will take a long way from Dallas area to Durango Colorado for a friend's birthday via southeastern Arizona and north to Natural Bridges National Park. Later in the summer I am looking at Yellowknife, NWT. Why Yellowknife, just because.

Solar charger? Something I didn't think of. Thanks, I'll add it to my supplies.
Any trip is better than no trip!!! You will love Utah, Monument Valley is a must see. It also has a wonderful campground " Gouldings Tribal Campground", Moab and Arches NP are incredible.
If your the adventurous type the Mokie Dugway just north of Mexican Hat is a real experience.
http://www.google.com/search?q=moki+...iw=996&bih=589
Frankly all of Utah is Awesome and let me not forget SR-12 from Torrey to Escalante. One of the best roads I've ever been on.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #57
RCLafnjack

Motorcycle:
  07 Royal Star TD

Quote:
As it is now I hit the silk some time between April 19 and May 4.
I'll be in the KOA in Carlsbad the afternoon of the 17th. Spending the 18th spelunking the Caverns, then heading Eastward on the 19th. I have a friend that lives in Ennis that I might visit is he isn't pushing a SP Locomotive somewhere over West Texas. If he's unavailable its anyones guess what direction I'll go.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #58
Leroys73
LD Old Fart

Motorcycle:
  07HondaVTX1300R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLafnjack View Post
I'll be in the KOA in Carlsbad the afternoon of the 17th. Spending the 18th spelunking the Caverns, then heading Eastward on the 19th. I have a friend that lives in Ennis that I might visit is he isn't pushing a SP Locomotive somewhere over West Texas. If he's unavailable its anyones guess what direction I'll go.
Great place, Carlsbad. Stayed a few times at that KOA. When I'm out that way I also like to camp in the Apache National Forest outside Cloudcroft (9000ft). It is up the mountain from White Sands. The highway (54) from the Guadaloupe Mountians Nat'l Park to Van Horn, TX is very lonely but very interesting at least to me.

I believe I'll give notice today that my last day will be April 18. The stars have aligned. My wife, who will still be working, encouraged me to get off the fence and go on the 18th. I want to retire but yet it is a bit scary. Like I told her it is the final chapter in my life, but the beginning of that chapter. I am ready but I am entering a great unknown. But hey as long as my wife is OK with it and helps support my addiction to motorcycles, why not. I sure as hell don't want to die on the job. I have waited for almost 50 years for this. I am glad I can.

So while you are enjoying the depths of New Mexico I'll be ending my working life. When you get this way give me a call. If I am around I'll buy you lunch, coffee or whatever. I think I sent you a PM with my phone number. If not let me know and I'll send it to you.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #59
RCLafnjack

Motorcycle:
  07 Royal Star TD

Well I have learned that Retirement means "EVERYDAY IS SATURDAY"..
good luck on your 3rd life, 1st life Childhood, 2nd life Career/Family, 3rd Retirement" message me your phone#, I might just call
I"m going to stay in that Tent Village at the Carlsbad KOA, looks like its pretty nice.
Good Luck Amigo, keep the rubber side down

Quote:
I believe I'll give notice today that my last day will be April 18. The stars have aligned. My wife, who will still be working, encouraged me to get off the fence and go on the 18th. I want to retire but yet it is a bit scary. Like I told her it is the final chapter in my life, but the beginning of that chapter.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #60
RCLafnjack

Motorcycle:
  07 Royal Star TD

Hey Leroy, You OK, those Tornado's looked pretty scary...