Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
riverguy9

Name: Greg

Motorcycle:
  Yam. FZ1, BMW F800GS

Re: Solo/Group Ride Lane Position on Freeways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffdag View Post
I also like the HOV lane, but a ticket in that lane could be double the fine.
It's quite legal in California for motorcyclists to use the so-called HOV lanes (carpool lanes).

I started looking for CA, MA and FL, and began to see some mention that there's an overriding Federal law that mandates that legality in all states. I did not dig deeper to confirm that, but HOV use all comes from Federal laws stemming from the '73-'74 fuel crisis, so it makes sense.

Greg
riverguy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
Jeffdag

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle:
  2012 Road Glide Utra

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverguy9 View Post
It's quite legal in California for motorcyclists to use the so-called HOV lanes (carpool lanes).

I started looking for CA, MA and FL, and began to see some mention that there's an overriding Federal law that mandates that legality in all states. I did not dig deeper to confirm that, but HOV use all comes from Federal laws stemming from the '73-'74 fuel crisis, so it makes sense.

Greg
Yes - I know that it is legal in CA: Motorcycles: CHP site.
"Solo motorcyclists can use HOV lanes (and most HOT lanes) without a decal unless otherwise posted. Motorcyclists cannot ride on, in, or over solid double lines."

I have seen signs, posted on the left side of carpool lanes, stating the violations are doubled. I am assuming it meant traffic violations such as speeding, crossing over the double yellow lines etc.
Jeffdag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #13
JCZ

Name: JC

Motorcycle:
  2010 FLHXSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverguy9 View Post

Greg
Considering the fuel crisis of 2012, they should pass a law that says only motorcycles can use HOV lanes....it only makes sense.
JCZ is offline   Reply With Quote