Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Pashnit Trip Planning > Travel Advice & Ride Routing

Notices

Tours

Old 03-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #21
psmb1963

Name: Petra

Motorcycle:
  Road King or Shadow

Re: 6 day adventure! Chance of a lifetime!

OK - Queen Mary may now be out - I would rather rise out a tent to the morning sun overlooking a canyon, river, forest hell desert cactus!!!!
psmb1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #22
Moedad
Bearded Member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle:
  05 Wee Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmb1963 View Post
OK - Queen Mary may now be out - I would rather rise out a tent to the morning sun overlooking a canyon, river, forest hell desert cactus!!!!
Are you planning on a combo of lodging/camping? Because that may make a difference in the suggestions you get.
Moedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #23
psmb1963

Motorcycle:
  Road King or Shadow

I am open for both! The goal is to make the most out of the time out there!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #24
JCZ

Name: JC

Motorcycle:
  2010 FLHXSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad View Post
OR, as previously mentioned, do the QM before the conference, then ride this loop in reverse:

24th: LA to Death Valley (very hot that time of year be prepared for HEAT), stay in Lee Vining.
25th: Lee Vining over Tioga Pass (way fewer people coming into the park from the east), tour the valley, hit Glacier Point on the way out, stay in Mariposa.
26th: Ride to Monterey, and down the coast to San Luis Obispo.
27th: Back to LA
An even better plan. That way, when you come down the coast, the ocean will be on your right.....so you can pull out and stop where ever you like without getting run over from the tourists behind.

Yes, Death Valley can be very hot that time of year..... http://www.weather.com/outlook/recre...graph/USCA0286
JCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #25
JCZ

Motorcycle:
  2010 FLHXSE

Mariposa is harder to get lodging than Oakhurst, unless you reserve way in advance for the summer months. But both have a decent Best Western.

If you can make it down to Merced, in the valley (just another 45 min. from Mariposa......rates are about half of what they'll be in Mariposa or Oakhurst. They go pretty high in the summer months.....you have people from all over the world staying there and they're both small towns.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #26
JCZ

Motorcycle:
  2010 FLHXSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad View Post
Are you planning on a combo of lodging/camping? Because that may make a difference in the suggestions you get.
I was thinking of lodging only. Doing a push like this I don't think time for camping is going to fit into the time frame.

Just thinking how I feel when I do my cross country rides.....I want to squeeze in all that I can. At the end of each day I am tired, want to eat and get into a comfortable bed. Get up early and get moving.

You can lay the route out in google maps to get your daily mileage and time. Just keep in mind that is actual travel time.....you have to factor in your gas stops, meals, looky-loo and kodak moment times on top of that. Fortunately, in May, you have much more daylight hours.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #27
psmb1963

Motorcycle:
  Road King or Shadow

Localy - we have done 15 hour day rides which of course included stops for gas , lunch , sites/museum/ point of intrest and Harley Dealership or two. Late fall these rides also included - a cup of coffee to warm the toes back again!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #28
Moedad
Bearded Member

Motorcycle:
  05 Wee Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ View Post
I was thinking of lodging only. Doing a push like this I don't think time for camping is going to fit into the time frame.

Just thinking how I feel when I do my cross country rides.....I want to squeeze in all that I can. At the end of each day I am tired, want to eat and get into a comfortable bed. Get up early and get moving.

You can lay the route out in google maps to get your daily mileage and time. Just keep in mind that is actual travel time.....you have to factor in your gas stops, meals, looky-loo and kodak moment times on top of that. Fortunately, in May, you have much more daylight hours.
It'd be next to impossible to get a campsite at any place good on Memorial weekend, so I agree, lodging only. Even then you'll have to be flexible due to the holiday travelers. At least with gas prices like they are, travel might be lighter.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #29
Moedad
Bearded Member

Motorcycle:
  05 Wee Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ View Post
Mariposa is harder to get lodging than Oakhurst, unless you reserve way in advance for the summer months. But both have a decent Best Western.

If you can make it down to Merced, in the valley (just another 45 min. from Mariposa......rates are about half of what they'll be in Mariposa or Oakhurst. They go pretty high in the summer months.....you have people from all over the world staying there and they're both small towns.
Merced would be a good choice too, and a much better chance of getting a room than some place close to Yosemite Valley on a holiday weekend. I was only thinking Mariposa because it's more on the way across to Monterey than Oakhurst/Hwy 41.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #30
psmb1963

Motorcycle:
  Road King or Shadow

1,304 mi – about 23 hours 49 mins