Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Pashnit Trip Planning > GPS & Mapping Technology for Travel

Notices

Motoroads

Old 12-01-2005, 04:11 PM   #1
FishWitch
~*~Crazy Lady~*~

Name: Sydney

FOLSOM!!! Not the Prison! 175K & counting!

Motorcycle:
  '05 Victory Kingpin

Send a message via AIM to FishWitch Send a message via MSN to FishWitch Send a message via Yahoo to FishWitch
GPS & Geocache Adventure?

After reading the Mendocino post and use of GPS units I realized how inept I am with mine.

Would anyone be interested in helping out learning to use one efficiently & maybe do some geocaching one day?

This might be a good non riding day adventure!

I've never done it but have heard fun stuff about "treasure hunting" and what better way to get in some practice on you GPS?

Member of The Victory True American Road Trip Team
FishWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:23 PM   #2
Fastfar
Ride to work...

Name: John

Motorcycle:
  04 FJR

Re: GPS & Geocache Adventure?

I'm hoping Santa Clause brings me a GPS (garmin 276C please Santa). It's motorcycle rated and waterproofed to military Standards, whatever that means. Course I'm hoping for a 'Canon EF 70-200mm L' lens too! And I wouldn't mind...ooops wrong thread!
Fastfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:41 PM   #3
resident squid

Name: Erik

Motorcycle:
  2007 Z1000

...if you get down my way I'd be glad to help.I've belonged gc.com for over 3 years.same name there.

edit to add: the treasure isn't what you find in the box but the area you're taken to find it, "in most cases."
Old 12-01-2005, 05:51 PM   #4
FishWitch
~*~Crazy Lady~*~

Motorcycle:
  '05 Victory Kingpin

Send a message via AIM to FishWitch Send a message via MSN to FishWitch Send a message via Yahoo to FishWitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911
...if you get down my way I'd be glad to help.I've belonged gc.com for over 3 years.same name there.

edit to add: the treasure isn't what you find in the box but the area you're taken to find it, "in most cases."
Cool Thanks. I know there is a geocache right by my house so maybe I'll toodle out one rainy day & give it a shot. Seems like it could be fun.

I have been tinkering with the idea of a GPS "Poker Run" since so many riders have them now. Sort of like a scavenger hunt. I'll have to take you up on that offer.

Old 12-01-2005, 05:53 PM   #5
FishWitch
~*~Crazy Lady~*~

Motorcycle:
  '05 Victory Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Far
I'm hoping Santa Clause brings me a GPS (garmin 276C please Santa). It's motorcycle rated and waterproofed to military Standards, whatever that means. Course I'm hoping for a 'Canon EF 70-200mm L' lens too! And I wouldn't mind...ooops wrong thread!
LOL Putting the word out around town eh?

Looks as if you need that GPS to find the right thread

Old 12-01-2005, 06:55 PM   #6
RolnCode3

Name: Bill

Motorcycle:
  '97 VFR750

Send a message via ICQ to RolnCode3 Send a message via AIM to RolnCode3 Send a message via MSN to RolnCode3 Send a message via Yahoo to RolnCode3

I've also been on geocaching.com for about 1-1/2 years or so. Haven't done a single cache in almost a year, but would be down for renewing it, at least on a limited basis. It definitely teaches you how to use the unit. Best part, Syd, is that my 60CS is fairly close in operation to your 76. Most of the menus and buttons work about the same. If you're serious about it, I can do Sun, Mon, or Tuesdays...just need a few days notice so I don't sign up for any overtime at work.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:14 PM   #7
resident squid

Name: Erik

Motorcycle:
  2007 Z1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishWitch
Cool Thanks. I know there is a geocache right by my house so maybe I'll toodle out one rainy day & give it a shot. Seems like it could be fun.

I have been tinkering with the idea of a GPS "Poker Run" since so many riders have them now. Sort of like a scavenger hunt. I'll have to take you up on that offer.
Now that would be fun! keep all coordinates a secret only give a set out at each way point and dont allow mapping software,just follow the arrow to make it challenging.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:39 PM   #8
dakariste

Name: Paul

Motorcycle:
  KTM 990

[quote=FishWitch]After reading the Mendocino post and use of GPS units I realized how inept I am with mine.

Would anyone be interested in helping out learning to use one efficiently QUOTE]
I'd be happy to ride with you in the Northern California area. This is from the cycoactive website and I have heard the man on the phone is VERY helpful getting people setup!
Shopping is the hardest part: This looks like a pricey but perfect dirt road solution.
GPSMAP 276C Dual-Sport Package
Part Number: GPS276DS $989.00 Add this
to my Cart

This package includes everything you need to to install a Garmin GPSMAP 276C on your Dual-Sport adventure bike. It includes the receiver, all the mounting hardware, the wiring kit and MapSource software.

The very best GPS for your next adventure. Plenty of memory, a great color display and all the features you love in a GPS from Garmin. When you get to the end of the road, you can carry the 276C with you and record your journey to the very end of the trail. It's fast, it's fun, and it's the best! Call us and we'll send our very best to you.

The GPSMAP 276C Dual-Sport Package includes these items:
Garmin GPSMAP 276C
Garmin 128 MB Data Card
Touratech Mount for Garmin 276C, 376C
MapSource City Navigator North America DVD

If it works like my Sport trak topo unit you'll end up with maps marked with a color line showing where you have been with a record of speed, longitude and latitude. I like the Mapsend Topo maps because I can figure out what all those squiggly lines mean, especially when I am standing in front of a cliff or mountainside!
Here is a zoom in series in the Mendocino National Forest.

It is so valuable to zoom in and out on the unit, down to the Forest Service
Roads and foottrails and then back to the region that i hardly ever need to use my topo atlas in familiar areas. Last summer I rode halfway to the Artic Circle north and with out the details, I found it valuable to have a general idea of where the heck I was in the middle of British Columbia, and where the safe main roads were!
dakariste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:22 PM   #9
FishWitch
~*~Crazy Lady~*~

Motorcycle:
  '05 Victory Kingpin

Sounds like you are quite the expert on this Paul! That's preet cool. Thanks for the info. As of now I just use mine on the main roads. I've been known to go 4x4ing tho in my truck. I also have the marine program for fishing!

Bill ~ Just let me know your schedule! I'm pretty free most days. The weekends over the holidays are busy tho.

Thanks Maybe we can put a little something together for the Spring Gathering !! (I'm dangerous when I start thinking sometimes LOLOL)

Old 12-02-2005, 09:57 AM   #10
sacdjh

Name: David

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakariste

GPSMAP 276C Dual-Sport Package
Part Number: GPS276DS $989.00 Add this
to my Cart
If it works like my Sport trak topo unit you'll end up with maps marked with a color line
It does, but you have to purchase the US Topo CD in addition (~$100). Not to extend this into a GPS tech thread, but one ideosyncrasy of the multiple Garmin Mapsource products that I've used is that you can't overlay two products that cover the same region. You can't for example, load the Mendicino region Topo and the equivalent region from City Select.
Also, for those who stay on the pavement, don't care about color and don't want to sink $1K into a GPS, the new Garmin i2 "baseball" unit is a tremendous deal.
sacdjh is offline   Reply With Quote