Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Adventure Touring & Off-pavement explorations > Generally Speaking: Adventure, Dual & Dirt

Notices

Motoroads

Old 01-25-2006, 07:53 PM   #1
VFR Pilot
Ride the wheels off it

Name: Brad

Motorcycle:
  02 Honda VFR, 89 Honda Transalp (RIP) SAG Wagon

Help2 Looking for new ride

Hi all

I'm looking for a new ride (i.e. additional toy ) I'd like to get a Dual Sport or to keep Law Dawg happy and Enduro . I started out back farther back than I'd like to admit riding a 70's something Yamaha Enduro which was great. The only problem that I have is I missed out on something OK I'll say it I'm vertically challenged so seat height is kind of an issue. Also I'm not as slender as I once was too that all out in the open any suggestions would be great

Brad
Old 01-26-2006, 04:59 AM   #2
G8ESCAP
AKA Gixxerdale

Name: Dale

Motorcycle:
  4wd Dual Sport

Re: Looking for new ride

I was thinking Brad, I know it's bad for me and dangerous, but it happens every once in a while. Anyhow, what about a V Strom? Gary is also vertically challenged and manages his very well. I don't know if he had to modify it. Might PM him if he doesn't chime in here.

All lot depends on the rides you want to do. Both Gary/G and John/M0t0Ryder do some great dirty rides on thiers.
G8ESCAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:37 AM   #3
planeoldguy

Name: Chris

Motorcycle:
  FJ 1314

Yamaha DT-1 250!!!!!
planeoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
motowriter
Crazy Rider - 1000/24/24

Name: <g>

Motorcycle:
  '05 FrankenZ1, '78 KZ650 SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR Pilot
Hi all

I'm looking for a new ride (i.e. additional toy ) I'd like to get a Dual Sport or to keep Law Dawg happy and Enduro . I started out back farther back than I'd like to admit riding a 70's something Yamaha Enduro which was great. The only problem that I have is I missed out on something OK I'll say it I'm vertically challenged so seat height is kind of an issue. Also I'm not as slender as I once was too that all out in the open any suggestions would be great

Brad
"missed out on something..."?? No, no, no... the advantages of being a short shit far outweigh the advantages of being a tall mofo. Topic for a separate discussion, but take my word for it!

I also want to acquire a smaller dual-sport. But a bike not as heavy as the V-Strom. The DL1000 can be a beast to navigate in wet conditions. OTOH, John/m0t0-ryder seems to have no trouble on his... but I think that has quite a bit to do with experience. My DL1000 has a shaved seat. It's prolly around 31" at the seat, but I have a 28" inseam, so it's a stretch (no pun...) for me to get a foot down. I've heard of ways to lower the bike further, but I haven't wanted to sacrifice the optimum handling with the bike's forks and shocks at factory standard.

My next move will likely be in 2007. I'll sell the Strom and acquire a small sport bike and a smaller old D/S. For the D/S I may well end up using lowering links to get the overall height down. I'm just not confident in the muck on such a tall and heavy bike. That said, the DL1000 has been great off road when it's dry.

A while back I asked your question here. Got some good advice on some choices for the rider with an ideal (shorter) height.

Let us know how yer research goes, Brad.
motowriter is offline   Reply With Quote