Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Adventure Touring & Off-pavement explorations > Generally Speaking: Adventure, Dual & Dirt

Notices

Motoroads

Old 03-05-2006, 03:38 PM   #1
kimber99
99.44% Pure

Name: Kimber

Motorcycle:
  2003 BMW 650GS

Rode my "new" bike home today!!! PICS!!!! (finally)

I picked up my "new" (to me) 2001 1150GS today. I hadn't ever riden one before today and was very pleasantly surprised. (Even riding home the last 25 miles or so in pouring rain!)

Compared to my 650GS:
>>Feels a little big. But not too big.
>>Handles really well on twisties. (There were a few handy for my test ride.) I expected it to be more sluggish. I felt very comfortable tossing it around the curves. Whatever it lost in flickability (not much) it gained in solid "on the rails" feel.
>>Much better wind protection on the freeway
>>6th gear is really smooth at 70MPH+
>>Love the bells and whistles (the guy did it up with: PIAA lights, flashing braking LEDs next to brake lights, Corbin seat, all the hard luggage (and soft luggage to fit in the hard luggage), tank bag, auto turn signal cancelling, heated grips, ABS, extra running lights on the forks...yep that makes 6 forward facing lights )

Only negative: The pegs are closer than I'd like (knees bent a bit more than the 650GS...because of the seat that was on the GS that used about 1/2 of the passenger space for the rider). I'm probably going to either want to lower the pegs or raise the seat. (First thing I need to do is figure out if it's on it's highest setting...as I understand it may be adjustable.)

This bike's going to be a great upgrade for me on the 4000 mile trip Doni and I have planned to the top of B.C. this summer. The reduced vibrations, more comfortable seat and better wind protection will make a big difference.

As far as off-roading is concerned, I'll probably give this bike a shot on some fire road rides (a la Lassen). But I'm also considering a 450 dual sport of some variety that's got more dirt capability than my 650GS. Any suggestions? (Gotta sell the 650 first!)

New toys are a good thing!
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
MyLife on TwoWheels
no role model

Name: Ray

Motorcycle:
  DL650, KLR650

Re: Rode my "new" bike home today!!!

Congrats!
If you want to go with a 450, I think you're choices are pretty much limited to either the DRZ400...or a DRZ400...
MyLife on TwoWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #3
RolnCode3

Name: Bill

Motorcycle:
  '97 VFR750

Send a message via ICQ to RolnCode3 Send a message via AIM to RolnCode3 Send a message via MSN to RolnCode3 Send a message via Yahoo to RolnCode3

And a good choice it is!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife on TwoWheels
Congrats!
If you want to go with a 450, I think you're choices are pretty much limited to either the DRZ400...or a DRZ400...
Old 03-05-2006, 05:43 PM   #4
kluts
The Lost Tourguide

Name: Jim

Motorcycle:
  thingy with 2 jugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimber99
This bike's going to be a great upgrade for me on the 4000 mile trip Doni and I have planned to the top of B.C. this summer. The reduced vibrations, more comfortable seat and better wind protection will make a big difference....
When are you going? Daughter is performing in Powell River BC July 8-9, I may ride up for it....
kluts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:49 PM   #5
kimber99
99.44% Pure

Motorcycle:
  2003 BMW 650GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutschengrabber
When are you going? Daughter is performing in Powell River BC July 8-9, I may ride up for it....
Jim, I think we're looking mid-August. Trying to minimize rain! What does your daughter do?
Old 03-05-2006, 05:54 PM   #6
kluts
The Lost Tourguide

Name: Jim

Motorcycle:
  thingy with 2 jugs

Quote:
Jim, I think we're looking mid-August. Trying to minimize rain! What does your daughter do?
Durn. Going to Minnesota via Volvo then..... Claire sings with the Sacramento Children's Chorus and there is an invitational Chorale festival going on in Powell River, about 145 klicks from Van. She will be up there almost a week. I was thinking of going up, watching the final shows, and riding her back to Portland (she can fly home from there). That way she can see the greater parts of the NW.

Kluts
kluts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:22 PM   #7
motorrad
Diggin'dirt

Name: Tom

Motorcycle:
  WR250R

Kimber, cool beans

Awesome upgrade and can't wait to help you trail proof the 1150GS sometime this summer. Sounds like a great longer haul cruiser too, something I'm leaning toward myself. I'm still emotionally attached to my F650GS though, especially around town on my daily commute I'll keep dreaming
Old 03-05-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
kimber99
99.44% Pure

Motorcycle:
  2003 BMW 650GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorrad
Kimber, cool beans

Awesome upgrade and can't wait to help you trail proof the 1150GS sometime this summer. Sounds like a great longer haul cruiser too, something I'm leaning toward myself. I'm still emotionally attached to my F650GS though, especially around town on my daily commute I'll keep dreaming
Thanks, Tom.

We'll see if I have the balls to take the new one on anything you could call a "trail"...lol. I'd like to keep the 650 for Lassen trips...etc. But since I don't think I'd use it much other than that, I probably can't justify it. But I'm not doing anything with the 650 for awhile while I get used to the 1150.

I really hadn't decided what to do about a new/bigger bike (as my recent PM to you proved!) but was able to pick this one up for what I'll be able to sell the 650 for...so had to jump.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:28 PM   #9
Law Dawg (ret)
Unashamed Christian Rider

Name: Mark

Motorcycle:
  Yes

Quote:
We'll see if I have the balls to take the new one on anything you could call a "trail"...lol.
Well, you could just shake it out at Sopiago this year. You've seen that done before as I recall.

Honestly, that was as dirty as I like to get on the dirt pig...well maybe a bit more than I like. Sure was fun though! Oh for a DRZ-400S...
Law Dawg (ret) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:41 PM   #10
kimber99
99.44% Pure

Motorcycle:
  2003 BMW 650GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg
Well, you could just shake it out at Sopiago this year. You've seen that done before as I recall.

Honestly, that was as dirty as I like to get on the dirt pig...well maybe a bit more than I like. Sure was fun though! Oh for a DRZ-400S...
Need to at least throw some knobbies on it to have a chance in the mud, huh?

I hope to have a 400 or so something something by then.... Who knows, I might keep the 650 instead. I could throw knobbies on that...and only use it for dirt...

Decisions, decisions.