Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Pashnit Trip Planning > Travel Advice & Ride Routing

Notices

Old 03-24-2005, 12:17 PM   #1
ST4FUN
Proud to be an Infidel

Name: Robert

Motorcycle:
  Ducati ST4, Suzuki DR350SE

Laguna Seca advice

Hey all, Robert here looking for some info & help from any Laguna Seca veterans. I was just able to get the week of July 4'th to the 10'th off from work, and was thinking of going to the GP races July 8'th -10'th. I have never been to this track/event, and am looking for any insight, suggestions, ideas you might have on how to do this and make it enjoyable. What the heck is Ducati Island? Any ideas on where to stay(Hotel) or camp, I'm open to either. I will be riding in from Lake Havasu AZ to the track. I will take a direct route to get there from AZ, so I steal away as little time as possible from the 4'th of July water party I will be attending eariler that week in Havasu.
I have found some rooms still available in nearby towns like Marina & Monterey, and some expensive rooms still to be had in the Cannery row area, which I hear is the happening place to be for some. I could also do the camping thing, so if any of you have any suggestions as to where might be nice, please let me know, I will check it out. Any info or input on how to do this event would be appreciated....thanks

P.S. Any info on what to do or where to go once I'm at the track would be helpfull also. (according to the Mazda raceway site the paddock passes & all package deals are all sold out except for G.A.)
Old 03-24-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
Strega 51
-o-o-0-o-o-

Name: Phil

Motorcycle:
  Tupolev Tu-95

Re: Laguna Seca advice

Hello Robert welcome to Pashnit, I think the reason you found rooms is because you have the wrong dates for MotoGp should be July 8-10 unless you have a typo if not you better get to checking made my reservations last July during the WSB round.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:09 PM   #3
Backmarker
Go ahead and pass me...

Name: Renee

Motorcycle:
  Aprilia Mille RSVR, Yamaha TTR-125L

Send a message via AIM to Backmarker

The track website said last time I looked that there would be paddock passes available on Fri at the track. They're a lot spendier than if purchased at the start though.

Will you be coming by bike or car? If you're arriving by car, there's tons of great deals to be had at all the vendors. If you're on your bike, shipping is available from the track. Just not quite as convenient.

Cannery Row will be closed off to car traffic and they'll let only bikes in on Fri and Sat night. I think on Fri night. Can't remember for sure right now. There will be tons of bikes parked up and down the streets. Be prepared for chilly evenings and mornings too. Possible dense fog. If you're riding to the track, the Christian Riders Club usually has a large semi trailer there and for a donation will safely store your helmet and leathers.

Ducati Island is an island in the middle of the track where if you own a Duc, you can park there and store your gear. Folks will wander around and check out all the Ducs. Usually some really nice vintage ones too.

As for watching the races, wander around and find a spot you like, watch and maybe find a different spot for another race. There's lots of good places. You may want to bring a Camelbak and some snacks to keep handy and hat. If it is sunny, it can get pretty warm and trekking around the track and sitting in the sun, ya gotta keep hydrated and shaded. Don't forget your camera too! You never know who you'll see just wandering around!

And be prepared to wait forever to get out after the race is over. It's gonna be a zoo.

This year is really gonna be something. I can't wait.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:18 PM   #4
ST4FUN
Proud to be an Infidel

Motorcycle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strega 51
Hello Robert welcome to Pashnit, I think the reason you found rooms is because you have the wrong dates for MotoGp should be July 8-10 unless you have a typo if not you better get to checking made my reservations last July during the WSB round.
I was thinking July but typed April, just checked my confirmation e-mail and it has the right dates(7-8 & 7-9), thanks for the heads up I edited my post. The hotel is the Ramada Limited in Monterey, which doesn't look like it's very far from the track. The guy said it's about a 10 minute ride to the cannery row area. As of this morning they still had a cancelation not available via internet booking. If anyone is interested the # is 831-375-9511, it was a standard queen at 339.00 a night(ouch).

I also found a RV resort in Hollister CA(looks to be about a 1 hour ride to the track I would guess) called the Casa De Fruta Orchard Resort. They had grass inproved tent sites with water. elect, & cable for $34 a night or $28 a night for just a grass site with water(close to showers etc) in case anyone is lookin to go that route. I'm frickin lucky to get a room near the party, I'll take it(bend over here )

Lookin forward to blazin in from Arizona and doing this event!
Old 03-24-2005, 03:33 PM   #5
ST4FUN
Proud to be an Infidel

Motorcycle:

Renee, I will be coming in on my bike. Sounds like maybe I can park on "the Island" and go from there. Good tip on the weather changes, I'll come prepaired. I like to backpack so I'm pretty good with that sort of thing & day equipt. Can you safely ride to cannery row for the show/party, or is it too crazy on the bike, what do ya think?
Old 03-24-2005, 10:19 PM   #6
HIGHLANDER
naewittyshitepostedeere

Name: highlander

Motorcycle:
  FJR1300, DL650, FJ1200

You'll be fine riding down to Cannery Row, but they do close the street to bikes also when it fills up. Here's a shot late afternoon on Saturday about 6pm and the 'Row was full. ( Shot through a window on one of the bridges that cross the street.) There are bikes parking for blocks around the 'Row. Sort of a free bike show!
Attached Images

HIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:51 AM   #7
ST4FUN
Proud to be an Infidel

Motorcycle:

Sounds good Highlander...looks awesome!