13,000 Miles Beyond Incredible
Published by Helmetdance
07-20-2006
Contents
Page 25

Day 21 – Friday August 19th
Anacortes, Washington to Vancouver, British Columbia
Ferry through the San Juan Islands

Today’s journey will be spent crossing the international border between the United States and Canada – over water. I plan to cross the border by ferry at the Haro Straight, the body of water separating Washington State’s San Juan Islands from British Columbia’s Vancouver Island. The crossing will include two sailings. The first ferry will sail from Anacortes, cross the Canadian border, and arrive in the town of Sidney on Vancouver Island. The second ferry will sail from Swartz Bay on Vancouver Island and arrive in Tsawwassen, just south of Vancouver.

View of Mount Baker from Anacortes

I spend the morning hours enjoying a more relaxed routine than I've become accustomed to. Since the ferry is not scheduled to depart Anacortes until 12:30, I use the morning hours thoroughly cleaning and detailing the bike, including removing the road grime, and polishing the chrome trim and aluminum wheels. I purchase my ticket and roll the bike into its place in line by 11:30, admiring this shiny new BMW 1200GS while waiting to board.

BMW 1200GS

One of the Washington State Ferries

The bridge of the Elwha

Mount Baker

Ferry on Rosano Straight

U.S. Coast Guard on watch

Many a beautiful pleasure craft..

..out for a cruise

Seagulls at Orcas Island

Checking in down below

Flightseeing over Seattle

Gotta try that sometime

Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington

Another cool boat

The beautiful San Juan Islands are part of Washington State, just inside the US / Canadian border. The islands of Lopez, Orcas, San Juan and Shaw are the largest of the group, with several smaller islands interspersed between them.

View from the auto deck

Haro Straight

An enchanting ride

After disembarking the ferry at Sidney, it’s a short ride to Swartz Bay to board the second ferry.

Canadian waters off Vancouver Island

Mount Baker’s snowcapped peak reflecting the sunset’s orange glow

On the deck of BC Ferries’ "Queen of Vancouver"

View from the bow

Port side view

The scenic ferry ride between the Islands of Saltspring, Portland, Prevost, Pender, Mayne, and Galiano suggests that the ride that lies ahead on tomorrow’s journey can only be another notch up on the scale of adventure. It’s been a relaxing and refreshing day, traveling little more than 90 miles, and most of that over water.

I spend the night in the amazing city of Vancouver. The night life on Vancouver’s busy Granville Street is just too lively to resist. I enjoy exploring the wide variety of night clubs into the wee hours of the morning.

End of Day 21
GPS Mileage = 7992 miles
Today’s Mileage = 94 miles

Route: Day 21

<<  <    Next Page (Page 25 of 40)    >  >>
By Chocoholic on 07-21-2006, 09:20 PM
Re: 34 Days Through the Western United States and Canada

great story and trip...thanks for sharing it with us. Give me more chill wanting to go cross country......
By G8ESCAP on 07-22-2006, 06:48 AM

What a great job you did putting all this together Mark, and I'm only on page 12 so far! Has to be the finest post on the forum. Well worth the wait! Makes me want to get on my bike and go, if only it wasn't going to be 110 degrees here today!
By goldwinghen3 on 07-23-2006, 04:58 PM

THAT was one incredible ride...Your pictures are fabulous !!!! it took me 6 hours to read and look at your trip....You should publish this with some one...That has got to be the most amazing picture story around...I can't imagine how long it took you to publish this on here...How did you remember all of the names of the pictures and you amaze me that your spelling wasso good.......I am going to read it again when I have more time,,,I loved it !!! Isn't the Western U.S. GORGEOUS ??!!!!!!!!.......If you are ever in California again...look me up.....Thanx for the wonderful trip !!!!!....Henry
By Helmetdance on 07-24-2006, 03:19 PM

Fenny - That's great that you have been inspired to do some long-distance touring by reading my story. Even if you don't do that right away, you are lucky to live in the land of the best motorcycle roads in the world.

Dale - Thanks for the kind words. Still working some bugs out of it with Gary's help, but its nice to have it up on the board where the Pashnit gang can finally read it.

Henry - Thanks for the compliments. My intention is to eventually condense this down into a book. I didn't keep track of the hours, but there were many all-day as well as all-night sessions. There are a lot of hours wrapped up in this piece. Remember the names? If only I could do that, the amount of work would have been a fraction. I identified the names from maps, info on the internet, google earth, and lots and lots of internet searching. Tagging the pics with names required a whole lotta searching.
By JimmieS on 07-24-2006, 07:55 PM

Mark,

Truly a spectacular way to spend 30 + days and nights. You have seen the best of the best with the best of the best out there, and I have to give huge Kudos to you for the execution of this most amazing trip, and the all out perfect photo essay to accompany it. I can't imagine what it was like for you to take on such a huge ride, and still be able to communicate your daily excitement a year later. Well done. Well done indeed.

As I mentioned on another forum to you my wife and I just completed our 30 day circumnavigation of the US, and I am just beginning to put that story together to share here on Pashnit. I'm humbled by your style and class. Next time your in Ca. you had best remember to include me in your ride plans along with DaleC and Dorian - (man am I irritated with those two for not letting me in on the time they spent with you....)

Great job!
By gpickren on 07-25-2006, 09:57 AM

Fabulous ride pics and commentary, Mark. We live in So. Cal and as soon as we are able my wife and I will ride most of your route. Omitting the Kansas and eastern Colorado part I think.

We have been unable to travel for a long time do to caring for her 94 year old father, but when his race is finished we will plan to go. Thanks for the inspiration.
By Michael Bishop on 08-06-2006, 07:14 AM

Mark you did a great job giving a us a taste of your experience. I have been waiting for this from the time I read you was doing the trip.
By harryvbr on 08-13-2006, 10:40 AM

Great trip! I enjoyed the beautifull pictures. I was so lucky in 2002 to make almost the same trip by Goldwing. That Goldwing I could rent at Everett Motorsports.
Every now and than I look at the pictures I took.

Harry Vanbruggen
the Netherlands
By bangladave on 08-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Clapping2 Re: 34 Days Through the Western United States and Canada

Mark, GREAT POST I have followed Pashnit for that last couple of years and your story is truly a great one. I have been looking at some of the same areas to ride through one day soon. We would be heading there from Minnesota so we need some extended time to do it. Keep following you dreams.

Dave
Comment