Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > The Wonderful World of Pashnit > Pashnit Chit-chat

Notices

Motoroads

Old 08-16-2006, 01:52 PM   #1
z_bassman
Playing the low notes...

Name: Sean

Motorcycle:
  Relying on others to cage me about.

Send a message via ICQ to z_bassman Send a message via AIM to z_bassman Send a message via MSN to z_bassman Send a message via Yahoo to z_bassman
Six-Month Health Status Report for z-bassman

I am, apparently, a paradox...
----------------------------------------
Main Entry: par·a·dox
Pronunciation: 'per-&-"däks, 'pa-r&-
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin paradoxum, from Greek paradoxon, from neuter of paradoxos contrary to expectation, from para- + dokein to think, seem

one (as a person, situation, or action) having seemingly contradictory qualities or phases
--------------------------------------

A few days ago I mentioned to a friend that I was scheduled to see my cardiologist for my six-month followup. The goal, I expained, was to see how my heart had progressed since its diagnosis (Ideopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy, for those of you that may not have heard) - if indeed it had progressed at all. (I declined to consider the possibility of its worsening.) My friend asked what I thought the results of the tests would be.

I replied, "Objectively, I don't think there's been any improvement. Subjectively, I feel much better than I did six months ago." In other words, I predicted that the tests would show no improvement and that would be in conflict with how I felt.

Not only am I a paradox, but I'm smart too!

The doctor was, at the end of our time, very puzzled because the tests did indeed reveal a very bad heart that is working very poorly. No worse than six months ago, but poorly none-the-less. Sitting on his table, however, was a man that felt great. I can climb (some) stairs. I can walk (a bit). I don't get winded getting dressed or showering. My subjective health does not match my objective test results.

So, to make a long story slightly less long...

I feel good, with some physical limitations. They continue to adjust my medications slightly in an attempt to lower my resting heartrate (currently at or about 120bpm). I continue to struggle some with a low-sodium diet and no caffiene. I continue to struggle some with mental and emotional aspects mostly related to stubborn male pride and my unwillingness to concede traditional physical male "chores" to my more than willing wife, but also related to mortality and the reality of living with an ailing heart. I continue to struggle with weight loss.

But my God is bigger than all this!!!

Blessings,

Sean <><

"A sunny day on a motorcycle in Tuscany...does not suck."
-Orson
http://zbassman.blogspot.com/
z_bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
exwingnut

Name: .

Motorcycle:

Re: Six-Month Health Status Report for z-bassman

Sean...what a great attitude!

Hang in there, amigo!

Steve
exwingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
demenshea
10% Angel 90% Hooligan

Name: Donna

Motorcycle:
  07 BMW R1200R

Send a message via AIM to demenshea

Sean,

Sorry to hear you are having health difficulties...but glad that your attitude is a great one. That can make all the difference.

As for the weight loss struggle...i swear, the only solution is to have one's mouth sewn shut!! Seriously though, I imagine that just leaving high fat foods behind and eating more of what grows, as in fruits and vegetables and grains and eating less red meat could really assist. I am sure your Dr. has you on a similar diet already. If you are interested in some great low fat recipes pm me...i am the queen of knowing how to lose weight...but the knave of doing it.

Just take it easy, dude...take this time to do some reading, update those web pages and get some light exercise with the family.

take care, man!
donna

Ride Like a Girl
Travel Blog for Riders
demenshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
Chocoholic
Riding = Chocolate

Name: Fenny

Motorcycle:
  06 650R,07 KTM250MXC

Send a message via Yahoo to Chocoholic

Sean, you may want to see a dietitian for weight loss. That's what we do: to help or assist people who need to lose or weight gain. Make sure you are losing your muscle content. I know it's a hard thing to do. It's absolutely a lifestyle change. Many experiences a yo yo weight,which is not recommended. I can answer questions if you had about the weight loss plan since i am a registered dietitian.
I know you can do it Sean. Great attitude is also a great factor!! You have already have it.
Chocoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:40 PM   #5
Helmetdance
Many Miles Away

Name: Mark

Motorcycle:
  '08 Hayabusa

Sean,

The mere fact that you have posted this here in this humor forum is quite a tribute to your great attitude. Though I have never met you in person, I am confident from what I have come to know through your posts that I can also say - great character. I truly doubt that I could handle such a challenge with your grace. Your heart of flesh may be weak, but where it matters most, your heart is one that all of us should emulate.

None of this is by accident, none of us gets out of this mess of a world alive, and if we play our hand right, we more than get it all back.

Keep the faith.

God Bless,
Mark
Helmetdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:44 PM   #6
pashnit
Yes, I'm the guy

Name: Tim

Motorcycle:
  Hayabusa

Thanks for letting us know Sean!
pashnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:58 PM   #7
katana_ron
Tuna Canyon, please!

Name: Ron

Motorcycle:
  1990 Katana 600, RM125, and a whole bunch of Chinese made bikes for the wife and kids.

Sean great to hear that you are feeling better, even if the results don't show much. I know attitude can win the fight all on it's own.

I sometimes wonder, is it better to feel great yet have test that don't show much improvement, or feel like crap and have test show that you should be fine? Just a thought.

Hang in there.

katana_ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:39 PM   #8
bikerduck
Follow the Duck

Name: Martie

Motorcycle:
  2006 Kawasaki 500LTD, '01 Yamaha Virago 250

Keep on truckin' Sean. It's (mostly) all in the attitude.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:44 PM   #9
G8ESCAP
AKA Gixxerdale

Name: Dale

Motorcycle:
  4wd Dual Sport

Hey Sean, doin good! Hang in there buddy!

"Ride like you own the road, and one day the road will own you"
G8ESCAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:03 PM   #10
resident squid

Name: Erik

Motorcycle:
  2007 Z1000

never under estimate the power of the mind,continue the positive attitude and thinking!