Metamorphosis: Skeptic to Motorcycle Momma in 30 Days
Metamorphosis: Skeptic to Motorcycle Momma in 30 Days
A 30 Day 12,000 Mile Cross-Country Odyssey
Published by JimmieS
09-01-2006
Contents
Introduction

A Note from the Editor:

Many a rider with 20+ years experience remembers with fondness the good old days of the 1970ís and 1980ís, when the ubiquitous UJM (universal Japanese motorcycle) was transforming the face of motorcycle touring. A burgeoning line of affordable and bullet-proof bikes enabled a generation of riders to pursue their dreams across Americaís highways. Just ask Lynda, whose husband JimmieS picked up a Kawasaki Z 550 in 1980 when she and Jim were newlyweds. Jim would tell you that he knew Lynda was a keeper, regardless of the fact that Lynda was not much interested in riding pillion.

The Z 550 took Jim on two lengthy tours in the 1980ís, multi-week rides over 7,500 miles. After the Z 500 retired, Jimís upgrade to a Kawasaki 700 took him from California through the western national parks and up to Canada on his last grand tour. Fast forward 10 years to the new millennium, to 2004. With Lyndaís guarded approval, Jim gets a new Goldwing after a two-year retirement from riding. Things havenít been the same since. Gone are the days of the old UJMs and, along with them, Lyndaís hesitation to ride along for the grand tour.

Join Jim and Lynda on their 2006 Odyssey, from west coast to east and back again, and see how this pair of old friends discovered a new love together. The sights cataloged and miles described will set you dreaming for your own Odessey. Jim and Lynda, congratulations on this most excellent adventure and the re-telling that takes us with you mile by mile, day by day, thrill by thrill.
<< <    Next Page: California to Washington (Page 1 of 18)    >  >>
By Helmetdance on 09-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Re: Metamorphosis: Skeptic to Motorcycle Momma in 30 Days

Wow! Great story Jim and looks like I have the honor of making the first comment. Your trip has enable me to re-live my August 2004 and August 2005 trips. You and I have stopped at so many of the same places all over the country that next time I read your story I'm going to have to count them. You and Lynda obviously had a terrific time. I bet it was really tough to pull in the driveway and close such a great trip, yet so rewarding to look back and enjoy the memories.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share this story with the rest of us and congratulations on returning home safely from an epic journey of a lifetime!
By Dep on 09-01-2006, 02:37 PM

Wow...what a great trip! I hope to be able to do the same thing one day, just travel across the whole country. Come on retirement!

Thanks for sharing the ride with us. I'm looking forward to reading your wife's comments on your website.

Ride Safely,
Dep
By BlackST on 09-01-2006, 08:47 PM

Great!!!! Fabulous!!!

Thank you for sharing!!!
By ogmike on 09-02-2006, 05:59 PM

Excellent trip thanks for sharing
By JimmieS on 09-02-2006, 09:10 PM

Hi Mark, Dep, BlackSt, and U2 Mike,

Thanks a LOT for the comments. When Gary told me that they were going to pubish my article I was so Jazzed! It's so hard to believe that we spent thirty days on the road seeing and missing so much. We both want to do it again "Right Now", but know that we'll have to wait a while before that happens. I feel very honored to be amongst a select few in this part of Pashnit to have our journey documented and residing next to Marks, Kimbers, Papa Kens - etc. etc. Thanks again you'all are great!

jimnlyn
By Sbyllek on 09-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Clapping2 Re: Metamorphosis: Skeptic to Motorcycle Momma in 30 Days

Wow.
What a great telling of your incredible journey.
It has been a dream of mine for years to do just what you two did...
Some day hubby and I will...
In the meantime, thanx for sharing your experience and making the wait just a little bit harder!!
By olseng2002 on 09-06-2006, 01:59 PM

Jim it was great reading your adventure and thank for the help with mine. Sturgis was a blast and I can't remember most of it but the stories sound the same. It's not about the Desitnation, but the Journey to get there. Few Have heard but my Harley broke down in Winnamuka NV where I was forced to buy the only bike in town.'06 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600. There was no way I was going home early. By the way If there is anyone interestted in the bike it is for sale. Thanks again for the story
By Orson on 09-22-2006, 11:07 PM
Icon7 Re: Metamorphosis: Skeptic to Motorcycle Momma in 30 Days

Holy moley!

That's a trip and a half!

No...that's TWO trips and a half!

Thanks for posting all those pictures
By Papa-Ken on 09-28-2006, 02:14 PM

What a trip and followed with an article to describe your adventure. You can be very proud of this article Jimmie as it will bring happiness to many that read and ride along on your tour.

Thanks for sharing it with us........Ken
Comment