Metamorphosis: Skeptic to Motorcycle Momma in 30 Days
A 30 Day 12,000 Mile Cross-Country Odyssey
Published by JimmieS
09-01-2006
Contents
Arizona to Nevada

[/i]
DAY 29 – Flagstaff, Arizona to Ely, Nevada

We left Flagstaff and headed up US-180 to the Grand Canyon. The geography in the "High Plains Desert" just amazes me. The topography of riding along at 5 to 6 thousand feet in elevation mile after mile and suddenly arriving at a huge gash in the earth never fails to impress.

We knew ahead of time that we were in for a long day's ride, so I had hoped that we would be able to make the Grand Canyon a "drive by" visit. That, alas, wasn't to be. It was just too beautiful. We spent a couple of hours at Mather Point before I was able to drag Lynda back on the bike for our ride around to the North Rim.

Our route continued north on US-89 to ALT-89, past the North Rim and into Utah and on to Cedar City via US-14. The route out of Cedar City was the two-lane high-speed UT-56, trough some of the most desolate and barren territory we had been in. We stopped in the little mining town of Newcastle for gas and a break before continuing the last 150 miles into Ely, Nevada.

UT-56 is an interesting road in that it runs pretty much straight as an arrow for mile after mile until you get to some low foothills where the road takes a few twisties and then drops down into a valley. It did that no less than 3 times between Cedar City and the Nevada state line. We eventually settled onto US-50 and arrived in Ely at 6:30pm. Much to our horror the accommodations in this small Nevada town were totally booked. The town was hosting a rodeo. Checking at six motels, all we heard was "Sorry, we're booked… the closest room is 1-1/2 hours away.” We were pretty depressed. I checked at the Motel 6 and was told that a cancellation had just come in. Lucked out. So, the lesson here is when traveling in remote areas, particularly over the weekends, it always pays to check room availability before showing up.

How do we describe our first impression? When we parked the bike and walked toward the canyon nothing could have prepared us for the view Mother Nature had prepared for us.

Now this wasn't a feature the last time I was there, but it sure provided a bit of entertainment while we were there. If you can make out the shiny bits… those are coins. I have to wonder two things -- who reaps the benefit of this generosity, and who on earth (how even) do "they" go out and collect it?

Awe inspiring #1

Awe inspiring #2

Awe inspiring #3

Can't get much ore picture perfect than this.

Heading toward the North Rim - Lynda became completely enamored of the beautiful red rocks.

Believe it or not this was our actual view of the Colorado River as we crossed over it. The picture doesn't show it, but we did see it -- far below.

Beautiful ride.

US-14 in Utah -- heading toward Cedar City.

We actually lost time taking this route as there was some kind of ATV rally up there and a lot of cars and pickups winding slowly down the road -- but the scenery sure was pretty.

The day’s route…

[i]
<<  <    Next Page: Panoramics (Page 16 of 18)    >  >>
By Helmetdance on 09-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Re: Metamorphosis: Skeptic to Motorcycle Momma in 30 Days

Wow! Great story Jim and looks like I have the honor of making the first comment. Your trip has enable me to re-live my August 2004 and August 2005 trips. You and I have stopped at so many of the same places all over the country that next time I read your story I'm going to have to count them. You and Lynda obviously had a terrific time. I bet it was really tough to pull in the driveway and close such a great trip, yet so rewarding to look back and enjoy the memories.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share this story with the rest of us and congratulations on returning home safely from an epic journey of a lifetime!
By Dep on 09-01-2006, 02:37 PM

Wow...what a great trip! I hope to be able to do the same thing one day, just travel across the whole country. Come on retirement!

Thanks for sharing the ride with us. I'm looking forward to reading your wife's comments on your website.

Ride Safely,
Dep
By BlackST on 09-01-2006, 08:47 PM

Great!!!! Fabulous!!!

Thank you for sharing!!!
By ogmike on 09-02-2006, 05:59 PM

Excellent trip thanks for sharing
By JimmieS on 09-02-2006, 09:10 PM

Hi Mark, Dep, BlackSt, and U2 Mike,

Thanks a LOT for the comments. When Gary told me that they were going to pubish my article I was so Jazzed! It's so hard to believe that we spent thirty days on the road seeing and missing so much. We both want to do it again "Right Now", but know that we'll have to wait a while before that happens. I feel very honored to be amongst a select few in this part of Pashnit to have our journey documented and residing next to Marks, Kimbers, Papa Kens - etc. etc. Thanks again you'all are great!

jimnlyn
By Sbyllek on 09-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Clapping2 Re: Metamorphosis: Skeptic to Motorcycle Momma in 30 Days

Wow.
What a great telling of your incredible journey.
It has been a dream of mine for years to do just what you two did...
Some day hubby and I will...
In the meantime, thanx for sharing your experience and making the wait just a little bit harder!!
By olseng2002 on 09-06-2006, 01:59 PM

Jim it was great reading your adventure and thank for the help with mine. Sturgis was a blast and I can't remember most of it but the stories sound the same. It's not about the Desitnation, but the Journey to get there. Few Have heard but my Harley broke down in Winnamuka NV where I was forced to buy the only bike in town.'06 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600. There was no way I was going home early. By the way If there is anyone interestted in the bike it is for sale. Thanks again for the story
By Orson on 09-22-2006, 11:07 PM
Icon7 Re: Metamorphosis: Skeptic to Motorcycle Momma in 30 Days

Holy moley!

That's a trip and a half!

No...that's TWO trips and a half!

Thanks for posting all those pictures
By Papa-Ken on 09-28-2006, 02:14 PM

What a trip and followed with an article to describe your adventure. You can be very proud of this article Jimmie as it will bring happiness to many that read and ride along on your tour.

Thanks for sharing it with us........Ken
Comment