Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Adventure Touring & Off-pavement explorations > Generally Speaking: Adventure, Dual & Dirt

Notices

Tours

Old 09-23-2006, 08:02 PM   #1
GXXRDRVR

Name: Andy

Motorcycle:
  is dangerous!

Send a message via AIM to GXXRDRVR Send a message via Yahoo to GXXRDRVR
Pics from my first DS ride.

First two pics are on Ida Clayton Rd, last two are on Geysers Rd.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
GXXRDRVR

Motorcycle:
  is dangerous!

Re: Pics from my first DS ride.

I accidentally discovered Ida Clayton Rd on Labor Day. Didnt know it was unpaved in one section...
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2006, 06:08 PM   #3
kluts
The Lost Tourguide

Name: Jim

Motorcycle:
  thingy with 2 jugs

Did Geysers Rd earlier this year.... what a hoot that was... NIce shots. Thanks for the report...
Old 09-24-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
GXXRDRVR

Motorcycle:
  is dangerous!

Ahh, the report...
Well, I left Cordelia Junction at 8:15am, (got a late start because I slept in).
Worked my way up Wooden Valley Rd, to 121, to 128. Shot down to Lake Berryessa through Spanish Flats. It's worth mentioning the road was clear, except for a couple of trucks towing boats on 121. Stopped at the Pope Valley Rd intersection for a drink of water, and continued on to Lower Lake via Knoxville Berryessa Rd. All the streams that we encountered back in June, were now dry. I was hoping for some fun in the H2O, but no dice...There are ALOT of trucks parked along the Northern part of Knoxville Berryessa, I guess they were hunting for turkey. I'm guessing because I saw alot of wild turkeys running around AFTER the section where I saw all the trucks.

Topped off in Lower Lake and continued up Hwy 29 to Western Mines Rd. I guess the pic of my XR in the dirt was Western Mines Rd, and the woodsy part was Ida Clayton Rd. It had been 3yrs since I rode in dirt, and may I say WHAT A HOOT! It was alot more fun on my XR than it was a month ago on my EX250R.

After the short drone on Hwy 128, I saw Pine Flat Rd. The sign said "No Outlet", but my Mapsource CD told me otherwise the night before. Either way, I had plenty of fuel, and I was not afraid to find out. Pine Flat Rd wound around for about 12 miles up this hill, and just when I thought I would end up on Geysers, I literally screeched to a halt to find a big gate around a downhill blind corner! Private Property...Oh well...I turned around and rode back down...

Geysers Rd was next...That had been on my to do list for some time, and after weeks of wondering what it was like, I finally decided to find out. Oh man, what a blast! The Southern section was pretty tame, lots of turns and fairly clean asphalt. Id say about 7miles into it, things got a little bumpier and there was some debris on the road. Nothing the XR couldnt handle of course. I stopped at the Vista Point to see the power plant up on the hill. Interesting...

The northern part of Geysers was pretty dirty. Broken bits of branches were strewn all over the road, a couple of gravel sections, and sections of single car wide road with blind corners made things interesting. Not to mention the crew that was working on repaving parts of the road.

I finally got to the other side, and went to top off in the town of Cloverdale. My return route was going to be the exact same route I took to get there, so I got a sandwich, and brought my luinch back to the Vista Point for my lunchbreak. On my way back, I stopped at the bridge, and snapped the one pic up above. Note my Subway bag.

The trip home was just as fun except I have to note that riding downhill on Western Mines Rd was a little hairier than riding up. I had to constantly remind myself "USE VERY LITTLE FRONT BRAKE". For some strange reason, the washboards seemed more intense when going downhill. Go figure.

That is all. I was home by 4:30pm.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:49 AM   #5
GXXRDRVR

Motorcycle:
  is dangerous!

I am planning on doing this ride again this Saturday. ANyone else interested?
Old 10-26-2006, 07:46 AM   #6
motorrad
Diggin'dirt

Name: Tom

Motorcycle:
  WR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXXRDRVR
I am planning on doing this ride again this Saturday. ANyone else interested?
Hi Andy,

Very nice report, not sure how I missed this one earlier. I'll be over in the Sierras this weekend, but would like to try these roads next time I'm up in this area. I'll give you a shout, might be next Spring though. Have fun on Saturday and thanks for sharing
Old 10-26-2006, 06:33 PM   #7
GXXRDRVR

Motorcycle:
  is dangerous!

Hi Tom,
Remember to take some pics while in the Sierras! Just let me know when you are back up this way, Id be glad to show you those roads. Ride safe this weekend!

Andy