Notices

Old 05-03-2005, 12:40 PM   #1
pashnit
Yes, I'm the guy

Name: Tim

Motorcycle:
  Hayabusa

Heads up on this scam when selling your motorcycle

So my co-worker decides to sell his Kawasaki Voyager. He puts an ad on Craigslist.com and advertises it locally- 50 mile radius, something like that.

Not too long later, he gets an email from Norway from a woman saying she wants to buy it, will send him a cashiers check plus some extra to ship the bike to Norway. Rob is telling me this story and I'm thinking, man, this sounds like a scam. Plausible, maybe. So he decides to move forward anyway.

Lo & behold, today a cashier's check arrives for $4800. He's selling the bike for $2800- the extra $2000 is suppose to be for his trouble of finding a shipper plus the cost. I looked at the cashiers check - it looked real as can be & was a US Bank cashiers check. You simply couldn't tell.

So he takes it over to the local US Bank and sure enough it's a fake.
pashnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:24 PM   #2
motowriter
Crazy Rider - 1000/24/24

Name: <g>

Motorcycle:
  '05 FrankenZ1, '78 KZ650 SR

Re: Heads up on this scam when selling your motorcycle

Hmm, I'm surprised your friend didn't see the link to the Craig's List warning about fraudulent scheme, right at the top of the Motos for Sale section:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

The foreign cashier's check thang has been going on for a while...
motowriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 02:42 PM   #3
z_bassman
Playing the low notes...

Name: Sean

Motorcycle:
  Relying on others to cage me about.

Send a message via ICQ to z_bassman Send a message via AIM to z_bassman Send a message via MSN to z_bassman Send a message via Yahoo to z_bassman

Yup, someone tried to pull that one on me just last week. When I told him that the extra money would be fine but he's wasn't getting any of it back and he wasn't getting the car until I verified the check, I quit getting emails. Amazing, huh?

"A sunny day on a motorcycle in Tuscany...does not suck."
-Orson
http://zbassman.blogspot.com/
z_bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
MadDog
U.S.M.C.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle:
  '10 Ultra Classic

Never forget: If it sounds to good to be true, it probably ain't!
Old 05-03-2005, 07:21 PM   #5
vnsfxr
Gettin' Dirty Again

Name: Vince

Motorcycle:
  DR650, GT1000

From your resident Postmaster:

The same type of thing is being done using US Postal Money Orders.

These money orders are counterfeit, but good enought to fool John Q. Public.

The first give away is how some one from a foreign country was able to purchase a US Postal money order.

New twist on this scam they are shipping the counterfeits into the country to be mailed by accomplices in this country.

This is very wide spread on the east coast and is spreading to our coast. Postal Inspectors working with Customs officials have seized over 65,000 counterfeit money orders shipped to the US since last summmer.

If you ever have a question about the validity of payment you receive always attempt to cash the payment first before any articles change hands.

If a Postal money order when presented for cashing proves counterfeit it will be confiscated and your help will be solicited in attempting to track down the culprits.

All scams so far have been from listing items for sale on the internet.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:51 AM   #6
k7lvo

Name: Lewis

Motorcycle:
  '07 FJR1300; '03 Gold Wing

I'm glad his bank spotted the bad check quickly. Too many times your bank accepts it, then 4-6 weeks later find out that it's bogus and proceed to remove the funds from your account.

A friend of mine was selling a bike and got an offer like that. He played along to the point of receiving the cashier's check. He then called the bank (on the east coast) that the check was from, and was told it was counterfit. They didn't seem overly concerned about it; in fact, they had few suggestions on how to report it to someone who cared. The local police said there was nothing they could do... He hung the check on his mantle and hasn't heard anything from the sender since then... So, now it's SELLER beware!
k7lvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 03:39 PM   #7
that_guy_you_know
Egyptian traffic survivor

Name: Steve

Motorcycle:
  YZF600R

I sold an '87 porsche and went thru something similar. Wanted to give me a check for way too much, I told him as long as the check cleared, he could do whatever he wanted. He didn't respond for longtime, so I sold the car to somebody else. A week or two later, he emailed me saying he'd sent the check. I my balance was the same tho. I told him the car was gone, and he got really rude and panicky in his emails. I brushed it off, until a week later when my measly 500 dollar checking account read a balance of 25,500!!! The check actually cashed. He then emailed me telling me he wanted me to refund the money immediately or he would sue me. I could tell something was seriously amiss, so I told the guy to be my guest, he wasn't getting a dime. Called the bank, they investigated, turns out the check WAS counterfeit, but was good enough that they actually did cash it. They withdrew the 25k from my account and nullified it, and I never heard from the internet weirdo again. For a long time I was under investigation for being in cahoots with the guy; they didn't believe that I'd have the nerve to tell the guy to f off for 25 thousand dollars (they figured the scam was for him to mail a check to a bank with my info on it, the bank cashes it, I withdraw it, split it with the guy). Major pain in the butt. My bank accounts were frozen for 3 months. Bottom line, BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!
that_guy_you_know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 03:53 PM   #8
Backmarker
Go ahead and pass me...

Name: Renee

Motorcycle:
  Aprilia Mille RSVR, Yamaha TTR-125L

Send a message via AIM to Backmarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy_you_know
For a long time I was under investigation for being in cahoots with the guy; they didn't believe that I'd have the nerve to tell the guy to f off for 25 thousand dollars (they figured the scam was for him to mail a check to a bank with my info on it, the bank cashes it, I withdraw it, split it with the guy). Major pain in the butt. My bank accounts were frozen for 3 months. Bottom line, BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!
Nice. Guilty until proven innocent...
Old 05-05-2005, 04:56 PM   #9
pashnit
Yes, I'm the guy

Name: Tim

Motorcycle:
  Hayabusa

Geez Steve - that's a good story. It was pretty obvious this was a scam going into it. Maybe what made it different this time is I got to hold the check in my hand and it looked very real! I should have made a copy of it.

Ironically - he had asked my advice going into this and my reply was I have always bought and sold all my bikes with cash. No cash no bike. When I bought the Busa, I showed up with a huge stack of 100 dollar bills. Cash is king.
pashnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:26 PM   #10
that_guy_you_know
Egyptian traffic survivor

Name: Steve

Motorcycle:
  YZF600R

Cash IS king-- you said it. Bought my yzf the same way; earned some strange looks in the dealership fishing the bills out of my jacket.
that_guy_you_know is offline   Reply With Quote